P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 04-03-05, 04:10 PM   #1
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Puking Lets talk about Social Security

What is Bush trying to do?

If its broken, then why try to take more money away from it by investing it?

So if the stock market crashes we get nothing and the politicians are off the hook.

I dont know much about it but this is what it seems like to me.
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 04:56 PM   #2
RDixon

I've been hearing that SS is broke and will be bankrupt in a few years since the 60s.
Back then I believed what I heard about it and pretty much wrote off the taxes I paid into it as something I would never see a return on.

Here it is 34 years later and SS is still here and due to my health I am seeing a return on it now.
Probably won't live long enough to draw out everything I paid in but at least I am getting some of it back.

It wasn't broke then; it isn't broke now.

If it ain't broke....
RDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 05:45 PM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

i'm not as informed on it as i should be, considering i'm only about 25 years from collecting on it...

but since the Prez has proved himself to be generally lacking in credibility on most subjects, i can pretty much be sure that whatever he says or does is done for the sake of political expediency, and therefore not in my best interest.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 06:01 PM   #4
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
i'm not as informed on it as i should be, considering i'm only about 25 years from collecting on it...

but since the Prez has proved himself to be generally lacking in credibility on most subjects, i can pretty much be sure that whatever he says or does is done for the sake of political expediency, and therefore not in my best interest.
in 1978 bush ran on a platform that social security would be broke without private accounts in 10 years. he was adamant it would fail by 1988. it's just constant dogmatic nonsense with this guy. if he was cute it'd be one thing because no linear thinking capabilities came with this model.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-05, 07:37 PM   #5
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts
in 1978 bush ran on a platform that social security would be broke without private accounts in 10 years. he was adamant it would fail by 1988. it's just constant dogmatic nonsense with this guy. if he was cute it'd be one thing because no linear thinking capabilities came with this model.

- js.
I'd say he was right.

He is trying to save it by screwing the younger folks. Same as every other politico has ever done including FDR who started the whole shit-a-roo. All the money collected for us younger folks has already been spent. Bye bye, It's fookin' gone. No need to cry about it because you'll never see it.

I you want SS you better support higher taxes and lower benefits for your parents.

Introducing a means (income qualifying) test and increasing the income cap on taxes paid prolly would take care of the problem.

It least it would insure that I get mine.

and fuc all the rest of U.......................
Old 04-03-05, 08:03 PM   #6
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

It would be nice if I could take the money I pay into social security and put it into an IRA instead, but if everybody had that option then the SS fund would never see an other dime deposited into it. Never the less, my opinion is that people should plan for their own futures rather than covering the asses of others who never did when they had the chance. And that's the way it would be if senior citizens didn't vote in droves the way they do. Face it, social security isn't about finacial security or personal freedom, it's politics, pure and simple.

For all I care the feds can keep my money, save it up, and build a bronze statue of Bill Clinton with a plaque that reads "I feel your pain." Social security is a non-issue to me, bankrupt or not.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote