P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 23-04-03, 02:22 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default IRC + Filesharing Program = Krimpy

Sharing over IRC has always been a little daunting and MusIRC sucked. Here's another try.

"Krimpy is an Open Source file sharing client based on the Internet Relay Chat network. It allows users to easily share music, pictures, video and other files via IRC channels. Krimpy supports the popular SDFind protocol."

http://sourceforge.net/projects/krimpy
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-03, 03:41 AM   #2
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

I dunno what you mean m8. Sharing is simple. There are a miullion fserv's. I use X-trem Fury. It's a scripted mIRC and works a charm. Fserv is our most popular channel

Š

There's only one way off so you might as well enjoy the ride..

Naphoria - P2P Portal www.naphoria.com/chat

Napsterites mIRC v2 | Napsterites Chat
Šiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-03, 07:02 AM   #3
assorted
WAH!

Default Re: IRC + Filesharing Program = Krimpy

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
"Krimpy is an Open Source file sharing client based on the Internet Relay Chat network. It allows users to easily share music, pictures, video and other files via IRC channels. Krimpy supports the popular SDFind protocol."
Hmmm...

It's kind of GOOD that irc has a certain learning curve that's intimidating. an easy to use client that the general populace embraced would acutally bring the whole system down. but i remember pre-napster hanging out using SDFind, in fact, in #mp3alternative and saying to a friend that someone just had to come up with a user-friendly, graphical interface way to do this. hehe. (/me plays 'i'm losing my edge' in his head)

and SDFind is still the best script for trading mp3s on IRC years later. thats so coooool.
assorted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-03, 02:20 AM   #4
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by Šiego
I dunno what you mean m8. Sharing is simple. There are a miullion fserv's. I use X-trem Fury. It's a scripted mIRC and works a charm. Fserv is our most popular channel

Š

It's not THAT hard but alot of ppl are intimidated by IRC and always have been. That's why Napster seemed like such a revelation when in reality file sharing had been going on all along.

Here's another program that seems to be getting alot of play on Zeropaid all of a sudden.

"The PacketSeek project is based on 2 applications. On the one hand you have the spider that runs on the PacketSeek.com webserver and monitors 97 IRC networks and over 500 channels for XDCC servers. XDCC Servers are started by IRC users that share their files with others. Each XDCC server provides ISO's , Movies , MP3's , etc. The spider put's all that info on database.
This is where the PacketSeek Client comes in. This app with a kazaa-style interface allows users to search the database and download his favorite software. I got to warn you, XDCC's are FAST , in bandwidth and in getting 0 day releases.

Join the open beta and try it , you will like it."

http://www.packetseek.com/
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-03, 08:26 AM   #5
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Sorry, but IMHO stuff like that is shit.

It's leechware as it uses resources without giving anything back. Actually it does give IRC one thing, attention. Reminds me of the search 'tool' some moron made. It spiders networks/channels/fservs and displays the information on a searchable webpage. The fucktard didn't even ask before spidering and posting the lists of every fserv in every channel on every network he could find.

Crap like that makes it simple for RIAA peeps to catalog filesharing on IRC. Thanks, but no thanks!

Anyone who wants to get in on the IRC scene can at any time. There are millions of users on thousands of servers all over the world who will help. It's no mystery and is as easy as running mIRC.

Frankly, if you aren't brite enough to understand an IRC client, IRC doesn't need you

Š

There's only one way off so you might as well enjoy the ride..

Naphoria - P2P Portal www.naphoria.com/chat

Napsterites mIRC v2 | Napsterites Chat
Šiego is offline   Reply With Quote