P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

View Poll Results: Which Way Will Performers Go in the next 5 years
Stay with the production companies 3 42.86%
Use the internet to sell their music 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-04, 08:56 PM   #1
CORRUPTERBUSTER
Apprentice Napsterite

Default Performers taking matters into their own hands

News reported today that P2P might be the answer to the performer’s dreams. One performer was asked the question, “Do you know what P2P stands for”. Performer says, “It should mean Performer to the People but you guys got it all mixed up”.
It is not hard to see where the Music industry is going and it is going high-tech. Reports have came in that a few top record labels and spending millions on servers and other equipment. What does this mean? A few of us remember reel to reel and venal, then there was 8 tracks, then cassette tapes then CD’s and now we have MP3, Wav, Ogg just to name a few. The direction the music is going is right in front of you while you are reading this. Gosh, who would have guest this 15 years ago that we would be doing this.
CORRUPTERBUSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 02:10 AM   #2
pod
Bumbling idiot

In 5 years, the vast majority of performers will be with, and their music sold through, major music labels. For the record, I guarantee you right now, in 5 years I'll be able to say 'I told you so'. Not much will change. 10 years... maybe. The media or format will change, but the production and distributiosn method will remain largely the same.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 06:04 AM   #3
Gutrguy
Semiblind

Quote:
Originally posted by pod
In 5 years, the vast majority of performers will be with, and their music sold through, major music labels. For the record, I guarantee you right now, in 5 years I'll be able to say 'I told you so'. Not much will change. 10 years... maybe. The media or format will change, but the production and distributiosn method will remain largely the same.

It will likely be that way until the artists can put up the huge amounts of capital that it costs to make a record and distribute it worldwide (likeley... ) By the time that happens, what do most bands / artists do?...they start their own record label because they know how much fuckin money is in it for the record company.

Right now i can take my bands cd to the local music shop, they will stock it and if it sells they will get a percentage. I love having that kind of control over my music, that way, I get paid for my music, and not some record company. I may make $5 a cd if im lucky, and right now thats better than being signed with Sony and having them make $15 a cd while i get $0.15 a cd.

IF a time comes when its more profitable for us to sign with a major label, we probably will, but until then i will use any means i have to sell my music....if that means online, out of my trunk...whatever, i will do it. I will also put mp3's up on my bands website. Studio tracks are a lot different than the "concert experience" and that is where bands make their money. If i have to give my music away so people will come out and see me play...im all for it.

I think that today's musicians are a lot like me...and they will distribute their music any way they can before they sign with a big label...

Last edited by Gutrguy : 06-02-04 at 06:14 AM.
Gutrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 10:34 AM   #4
JackSpratts

someone will create a cooperative for musicians, like united artists once was for actors and directors, that will handle all of the organizational requirements of modern digital recording and distribution. profits (and they will be huge) will roll back to the shareholders, in this case the artists, and for those with the foresight to have joined their professional life will be sweet indeed. eventually the co-op will succumb to personality clashes and in time resemble nothing so much as an old line media company, but until that happens it will be a great place to be. a smaller minority of musicians will go their own way; recording and distributing independently and electronically (that’s what i would do if i were a musician), but for the vast majority pod's predictions are unfortunately accurate. it will be business as usual with the label/artist relationship. if artists are going to change they should have done so by now. it's been nearly five years since the napster revolution proved conclusively that listeners will willingly distribute content, releasing artists from record company ”slavery” and five years is longer than most label careers. that essentially nothing has changed leaves me less than optimistic about a future that’s independent of media company masters. artists will get the future they choose, and as usual they seem to be "choosing" passive acceptance of whatever the media conglomerates decide is in their interest. it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and it’s being squandered right before our eyes. it’s a real shame.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-04, 10:51 PM   #5
wwasicek

Jack this is a great idea. You should persue it. I can help you achive this goal.
wwasicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-04, 12:41 PM   #6
JackSpratts

wwasicek i'm not sure i'm the guy to start a musician's online co-op but pm me, i'm interested in what you have to say.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote