P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 03-02-04, 04:34 AM   #1
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Default Adverts between websites...???

TV-style adverts arrive on web
By Tracey Logan
BBC Go Digital presenter

Content edited.

Net users may have to get used to watching TV ads between web pages, if trials currently under way on high profile websites are successful.

The new video ads are being tested on 15 sites over the next five weeks. They are the result of a collaboration between online ad developers, Unicast, and software giant, Microsoft.

Most people have got used to filtering out the sales pitches in the search for useful information. But 30 second-long TV ads that appear at random whenever you click on certain websites, will be harder to ignore than pop-up ads.

Unicast's Video Commercial is a full screen online ad format that plays a 2MB, 30 second, broadcast quality video, regardless of connection speed. The format is based on Microsoft's Windows Media 9 Series and uses Unicast proprietary pre-cached technology.

Read more...

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 05:47 AM   #2
multi
Thanks for being with arse

have to be able to get something to avoid this sort of crap...how dare they make people waste their bandwith on this nonsense..even dialup..

this is a total abuse of peoples freedom ..and should be legislated against..

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 05:59 AM   #3
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

seems to me that this is how commerce works... they produce some crap to clutter up your time and bandwidth... we create a proggie that blocks it...

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 07:48 AM   #4
JackSpratts

the new york times has been doing something like this for a while, changing the site experience, and not for the better. it obviously stops your surfing cold. they do provide a way to shut it off but it's a tiny skip button in the upper right and clicking doesn't stop the ad immediately, it takes a few seconds to end it and load the requested page. but who knows how long they'll include a skip feature, even one that's marginally effective.

if a lot of sites do this then flying through web pages as fast as your connection allows will be history.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 09:59 PM   #5
theK_plusCat

i'm confident that there will be some one offering an easy removal... unless the sites were really cunning and encrypted the next page, and the decryption key was only sent when the ad was fully downloaded... which wouldn't guarantee viewing... but it would piss me off and make me biased against the advertised item... and that's all they seem to want to do anyway.

but some one would probably find a way of skipping that too.
thank god for the really clever e-peoples.