P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 22-01-03, 06:39 PM   #1
AweShucks
Just Looking Around

So There! See Ya B***H!!!!

Big enemy of music-swapping resigns

NEW YORK (AP) -- Hilary Rosen, the U.S. recording industry's head lobbyist who waged a high-profile battle against Napster and music piracy, is resigning at the end of the year.

In a statement, Rosen cited personal reasons for leaving the Recording Industry Association of America, where she has served as chief executive since 1998.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out!!!
AweShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-03, 07:01 PM   #2
JackSpratts

whad i tell ya.

valenti and rosen have done more to fuck up peoples' rights in america than a busload of atf guys in waco.

hmmm...i wonder if being universally loathed counts as a personal reason.

good riddance.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-03, 07:12 PM   #3
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

CNN's site seemed to be rather loaded so here's the entire article napsterized...

Big enemy of music-swapping resigns

NEW YORK (AP) -- Hilary Rosen, the U.S. recording industry's head lobbyist who waged a high- profile battle against Napster and music piracy, is resigning at the end of the year.

In a statement, Rosen cited personal reasons for leaving the Recording Industry Association of America, where she has served as chief executive since 1998.

"During my tenure here, the recording industry has undergone dramatic challenges and it is well positioned for future success ... But I have young children and I want to devote more of my time to them," Rosen said.

She said the RIAA board will search for a replacement.

Declines blamed on file sharing

David Munns, chairman and chief executive of EMI Recorded Music North America, said Rosen has been an influential advocate "in both transforming the music industry in the digital age and in fighting piracy."

The industry has been struggling with declining sales, which Rosen has blamed on illegal downloading over defunct online file-sharing service Napster and successors like Kazaa.

Rosen's departure comes as the organization seeks to soften its image among Internet consumers, many of whom view it with antipathy over incessant pressure for crackdowns on sharing digital music over the Internet.

Rosen was an independent consultant before joining the RIAA in 1987. She also is a founding board member of Rock the Vote, an organization aimed to get younger people more politically involved.

Thanks for the hot news, AweShucks!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-03, 09:46 PM   #4
pod
Bumbling idiot

It's a loong time until end of the year...
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-03, 09:56 PM   #5
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by pod
It's a loong time until end of the year...
I have a hunch that she will be more or less pushed aside... she was just a spokeswoman anyway, the real RIAA policy makers are the big owner labels.

They need new faces to make new policy... and they need new policy as their present one is clearly on a crash course with both the evolving p2p technology and the opinions of the masses...

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-03, 10:25 PM   #6
walktalker
The local newspaper man

Nothing like hating good old Hillary
Here's a story I've found on the subject: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.02/hating.html
Old 24-01-03, 12:08 PM   #7
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

Quote:
But I have young children and I want to devote more of my time to them," Rosen said.
Nooo!! It's spawning and preaching its foul ways to its offspring!

Great article walktalker!
Quote:
Some Hilary haters have protested her speeches and urged others to mail her excrement. On a scale of odiousness, devotees of the Web site Whatsbetter?com rated Rosen just below Illinois Nazis but better than Michael Bolton (and way above pedophile priests).
..."I never thought of myself as one of those separatist dykes," she says finally. "But I suppose if people see me that way, that's fine."
...One Web magazine likened Rosen to the Antichrist and named her Beast of the Month.
...Rosen admits that "it's probably just a handful of record executives who think I'm too soft on the issue. Everyone else thinks I'm a total hard-ass monster. And that's fine.
..."We'd be glad to sit down with them," says Philip Corwin, Kazaa's Washington lobbyist. "But when someone's hitting you over the head with a 2-by-4, it's hard to reach out your hand."
..."I think, like most people who go into politics, she would like to be judged on how much of an agent for constructive change she was," says Jim Griffin, a friend and admirer of Rosen who runs Cherry Lane Digital, an entertainment consulting firm. "But it is a sad commentary that, at least thus far, she will be remembered not as an agent for constructive change, but as an agent standing in the way of constructive change."
Excellent and objective journalism at its best.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote