P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 02-03-02, 06:19 PM   #1
JackSpratts

Default Fasttrack Network Unstable

since updating to the most recent version, thousands of users have experienced intermittent connectivity, had their search functions temporarilly disabled or have been unable to connect at all to the fasttrack net. network managers are aware of the problem. grokster for instance has posted this on their board.

"We understand that many users are having difficulty connecting to the network. Since this is not happening to everyone, it is difficult to determine what is causing it. Please have patience as we are working on the problem.

Growing pains - or something else?

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 07:15 PM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Brows

Fascinating development, JS

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 09:15 PM   #3
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Yeah, I'm having that problem. it's just rather incovienant, I can still download files.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-02, 12:18 AM   #4
fogelbise

i don't know if this is related and it is not a new problem as i have seen at least one other person post this before on the old board. many times when i log on, i guess i am sending my list of files to the supernode, but before i get fully connected it is already listing all my files as available files and i get a crapload of people downloading from me(ignores my # of upload option during connection). i look at my firewall and it shows an incredible amount of data being uploaded. if when you first start grokster or kazaa you click the traffic tab before if grays out, you can see this activity. last time i did this there were about 40 attempted downloads from me all aborted initially because my connection cant handle it....

bottom line it takes forever to connect when this happens. solution i found was to check the disable file sharing option, and as soon as i get connected, turn it back on. so if you do this, just please remember to change it back

this may only happen to you if you have a number of popular files...but please don't get rid of them, just use the solution above. anyone else have further info on this prob?
fogelbise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-02, 01:06 AM   #5
meziadin

i am relishing the thought of cyber war between
opposing factions dreams create reality
thru friction comes change yah
meziadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-02, 01:34 AM   #6
JackSpratts

The following is presented for NU members' information only. While I have no reason to question Grokster, none of the recomendations below have been verified. They get a bit touchy on their bug board. I've even been "edited"...

Here's the latest from Grokster:

"With Morpheus apparently no longer a part of the network ( see http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-845889.html ), there have been massive readjustments occurring in large parts of the network that is affecting access and connections. Many people have been able to get on and stay on successfully. Many others are having problems. Once the network reorganizes itself, some of these effects should go away.

*****IMPORTANT NOTE: Please follow these steps in order. Once you get to a point where Grokster is successfully running, please stop at that point and do not proceed any further.*****

NOTE: "exit and restart Grokster" means that you right click on the Grokster "G" icon and select "Exit Grokster", then restart it from the Desktop icon or Start menu.

If you cannot connect to the Grokster network at all with either Version 1.3.3 or 1.5, or you had trouble with upgrading Grokster, please follow these steps:

1) If you are still on Version 1.3.3, please get the upgrade to Version 1.5 and install it over your existing Grokster program from:
http://www.grokster.com/download.html
If you do this and it does not connect afterwards then go on to # 2:

2) If you already have Version 1.5 installed (to check, start Grokster and go to Help/About Grokster and the screen that opens up will tell you what version you have) and everything seems to be working OK, but it just says "Connecting" at the bottom, then try:
a) First if you have Kazaa and/or Morpheus installed on your computer, please uninstall them as they can conflict with the operation of Grokster. Once uninstalled, exit and restart Grokster.
b) Second, if you are sharing more than 400 files, try sharing a bit less than 400 files and see if this fixes the problem. Exit and restart Grokster again.
c) Third, start up Grokster and let it try to connect for at least 15 minutes (please time it and let it go this long at least). This will give it time to cycle through the stored Supernodes list. This needs to be done as many Supernodes have been disrupted by the Morpheus situation. If it finally connects this way, let it stay connected for at least 30 minutes afterwards to give it time to build a current Supernodes list for you.
d) Fourth, if you have ever had Morpheus installed on your computer any time in the past (or are not sure, as it will not hurt to try this), then download and run:
http://www.grokster.com/files/morpheus_regclean.exe
Then exit and restart Grokster again and give it several minutes to connect.

3) If the above does not work, then we need to do a total uninstall and reinstall of Grokster:
a) To be safe move any files you are concerned about out of C: Program Files/Grokster/Shared to another folder temporarily, altho this procedure should not delete any files in that folder. You can do this with Windows Explorer among other tools.
b) Uninstall Grokster by going to your Control Panel and select Add/Remove programs, wait a couple of minutes for it to build itself, then select Grokster and then Remove. Then in the Control Panel, if you have it, select "Grokster Ads Support" and uninstall it also. If this remains afterwards, it is because you have another Cydoor program on your computer that is accessing it. If so, just leave it.
c) Uninstall the Grokster registry entries by downloading and running:
http://www.grokster.com/files/grokster_regclean.exe
d) And if you did not clean out the leftover Morpheus registry above, then please do so now by performing step 2 (d) above.
e) Reboot your computer.
f) Download and install Grokster from here:
http://dl.grokster.com/files/biggrokstersetup.exe
Since you are having problems, we recommend that you uncheck the offerings from Gator, FileFreedom, Commoname and the Desktop links, so that they do not install.
g) Once installed, again give Grokster at least 15 minutes to cycle through all the Supernodes to make a connection and then let it run for at least 30 minutes afterwards to let it build a current Supernode file. If Grokster Connects and then Disconnects, cycling back and forth, try reducing the number of files you are sharing to a bit less than 400 for now. If that does not work try sharing no files for now.

Hopefully, these procedures will allow you to connect to the network until it settles down. We are still working on other problems with the Grokster client. We are noting all comments and trying to come up with solutions.

Thank you for your patience!"

Obviously this network is in big trouble right now. Why that is I'm not certain, but I don't think it's because a lot of people aren't using it. My feeling is the update has done something unexpected. Some sites are even offering "Supernode Lists" downloads to get more people connected. But I haven't heard that works either. Gee, wonder if my IP#'s on it?

- js.
Old 03-03-02, 01:54 AM   #7
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

what's with the users of
  • xy@fileshare
they still on FT net, do they have no problems, is there any forum, i don't even know what client they use.
anybody can help?

btw. at grokster forum, there a some ridiculous quibbling "moderators", desperately defending their position as "old bulls"

indy
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-02, 02:16 AM   #8
Mowzer
'

I have seen user@fileshare on morph before all thia happend.

I am not sure who they are though, as I belive gIFT used @gIFT when they were on the net.

Might be some kinda clone like refrosearch was.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-02, 02:29 AM   #9
meziadin

i am relishing the thought of cyber war between
opposing factions dreams create reality
thru friction comes change yah
meziadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-02, 11:01 PM   #10
fogelbise

i remember someone posting that @fileshare was how the old morpheus used to show up...not sure though.
Old 04-03-02, 11:55 PM   #11
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

I think fogelbise might be correct. Here's a little something I found from Cnet. The program is no longer available from Cnet but the link might shed some light on what fileshare is or was.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-02, 12:08 AM   #12
Mowzer
'

I answered in another thread to indy, what @fileshare was, here it is again for those that missed it. Originally I thought it was a refrosearch type clone, but after looking around...

The program in which users get the user name @fileshare is imesh.

Found this: "Imesh is the 4th major client now links to the fasttrack network. Imesh users can be identified by the @fileshare username. It is slightly buggy at the moment and you cannot IM Imesh users. Bugs should be ironed out for Morpheus 2."
Old 05-03-02, 12:41 AM   #13
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

from different posts in this forum i conclude, that some of you use imesh casually.

could you prove that it connects to the FT net and has the net name fileshare?

indy

sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

Old 05-03-02, 12:46 AM   #14
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethen
[B"It is slightly buggy at the moment and you cannot IM Imesh users. Bugs should be ironed out for Morpheus 2." [/b]
I think we can forget about the "Bugs" being ironed out after the recent events.
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-02, 01:37 AM   #15
Mowzer
'

I cannot indy as I dont use imesh.

I based my post that @fileshare is imesh users, afte I searched on google for @fileshare and came up with a number of statements that said @fileshare was the name identifying imesh users on the fast track network.

I think your right Buzz. I wonder if morph must re design what they were wroking on , an app that connects to both gnutella and fast rack from the ground up? since they no longer have acess to fasttrack.

Indy do you have any other ways of implementing sig tech for other p2p nets?
Old 05-03-02, 03:14 PM   #16
fogelbise

could be imesh. i know i saw the @fileshare long before the current morpheus problems.

the link that jd provided says that fileshare is ran by musiccity(streamcast/morpheus) but that may not answer the original question.

Quote:
One easy way to connect to alternative Napster servers is with FileShare, a service run by the MusicCity network
Old 11-03-02, 11:09 PM   #17
JackSpratts

Updated Instructions From Grokster.com

Do a total uninstall and reinstall of Grokster:

a) To be safe move any files you are concerned about out of C: Program Files/Grokster/Shared to another folder temporarily, altho this procedure should not delete any files in that folder. You can do this with Windows Explorer among other tools.
b) Uninstall Grokster by going to your Control Panel and select Add/Remove programs, wait a couple of minutes for it to build itself, then select Grokster and then Remove. Then in the Control Panel, if you have it, select "Grokster Ads Support" and uninstall it also. If this remains afterwards, it is because you have another Cydoor program on your computer that is accessing it. If so, just leave it.
c) Uninstall the Grokster registry entries by downloading and running:
http://www.grokster.com/files/grokster_regclean.exe
d) If you have ever had Morpheus installed on your computer any time in the past (or are not sure, as it will not hurt to try this), then download and run:
http://www.grokster.com/files/morpheus_regclean.exe
e) Reboot your computer.
f) Download and install Grokster from here:
http://dl.grokster.com/files/biggrokstersetup.exe
Since you are having problems, we recommend that you uncheck the offerings from Gator, FileFreedom, Commoname and the Desktop links, so that they do not install. (!)
g) Once installed, again give Grokster at least 15 minutes to cycle through all the Supernodes to make a connection and then let it run for at least 30 minutes afterwards to let it build a current Supernode file.

Don't forget to clean it.

- js.
Old 12-03-02, 12:38 AM   #18
djakrse
Your friendly neighborhood jackass

Quote:
Originally posted by indiana_jones
from different posts in this forum i conclude, that some of you use imesh casually.

could you prove that it connects to the FT net and has the net name fileshare?

indy
i know for a fact that imesh does connect to the fasttrack network.. i see it sending out requests on port 1214 when i search for files. on their website, imesh claims it can as well.

however, i dont know if imesh is indeed responsible for the @fileshare extension. i guess i need to ask somebody who dloads from me what i appear to them. the "about" in imesh says my username is djakrse. it does not put the @extension anywhere i can see
Old 12-03-02, 01:11 AM   #19
indiana_jones

if you familiar with telnet you could try the following:

telnet
IP: 127.0.0.1
Port: 1214

if connected, type
GET<return>

it will tell you the Kazaa Networkname

indy

Old 12-03-02, 10:21 AM   #20
djakrse
Your friendly neighborhood jackass

Tongue 4 imesh and @fileshare proven?

thanks indy, i got it...

running imesh,
results show:

X-Kazaa-Username: djakrse
X-Kazaa-Network: fileshare
X-Kazaa-IP: (mynetworkip:1214)
X-Kazaa-SupernodeIP: (supernodeip:1214)

ive read your other posts on the issue, although i cant find them now to link to right now. you (somebody else? another mboard?) were able to contact someone who you were dloading from and determine that your @extension was indeed @fileshare?

guess that solves it?