P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 27-01-02, 02:24 PM   #1
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default Just curious...

I rarely hear Grokster mentioned in here...everything is Morpheus and, to a lesser extent, Kazaa...

I've used Grokster for months, found it reasonably satisfactory, and since they all search files from the same pool of users, I don't feel like I am missing anything.....

...or am I?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-02, 02:58 PM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Re: Just curious...

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife
I rarely hear Grokster mentioned in here...everything is Morpheus and, to a lesser extent, Kazaa...

I've used Grokster for months, found it reasonably satisfactory, and since they all search files from the same pool of users, I don't feel like I am missing anything.....

...or am I?
Ahhh, a Grokster user So happy to meet one, FINALLY! I've been wanting to speak to one of you guys for AGES. All my IMs go unanswered from Grokster users

Does Grokster install spyware into your hard drive? Also, Kazaa had a reputation of imposing 128 bitrate limitation which made it impossible to dl any mp3s over 128. I don't know if it still does this or if there's a work around via regedit (like we have to do with Morph sometimes).

So, basically, I'd like to know if Grokster imposes the same 128 bitrate limit as Kazaa does/did and, does Grokster install spyware (cydoor, etc.) or does it rely on pop-up ads or ad windows as their revenue source?

I was an old Music City user and when they dropped all the openNap servers in April and switched to P2P, I went along with it just to see what it was all about. I've been using MusicCity/Morpheus ever since.

I'd never given the Kazaa or Grokster clients a second thought.

I'd be willing to bet that since Grokster isn't as well advertised as Kazaa or Morpheus, that would explain why it isn't as popular .

GR

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-02, 03:15 PM   #3
theknife

I don't think I've got any Spyware... I ran something for a while to keep a check on that and it came up negative (I think it was called OptOut). The pop-ups have really become negligible lately as well. Since I can find songs on here that have 160, 192, and 320 bitrates, I assume there is no bitrate cap.

So, am I missing anything elsewhere?
Old 27-01-02, 03:31 PM   #4
goldie
yea, it's me.

Smile

Quote:
I don't think I've got any Spyware... I ran something for a while to keep a check on that and it came up negative (I think it was called OptOut). The pop-ups have really become negligible lately as well. Since I can find songs on here that have 160, 192, and 320 bitrates, I assume there is no bitrate cap.

So, am I missing anything elsewhere?
Nope, sure doesn't sound like you're missing a thing. Same ole network, different client tis all.

Thanx for satisfying my curiosity knife!!

GR
Old 27-01-02, 03:57 PM   #5
theknife

whoops..update...since it had been a while, just ran Ad-Aware and found 175 assorted files, folders, and registry keys with spyware...don't see any with Grokster's name on them but that doesn't mean much. Found a lot that were IMesh related...deleted all of it and Grokster runs just fine, so I assume I am truly spyware free
Old 27-01-02, 04:15 PM   #6
goldie
yea, it's me.

Puke

Quote:
whoops..update...since it had been a while, just ran Ad-Aware and found 175 assorted files, folders, and registry keys with spyware...don't see any with Grokster's name on them but that doesn't mean much. Found a lot that were IMesh related...deleted all of it and Grokster runs just fine, so I assume I am truly spyware free
Good Gawd , MaJor InFeStAtIoN!!

Johndoe mentioned this earlier, next time you run adaware, take advantage of the back-up function.

If you're in any doubt, back up the suspicious entries before deleting them - there's nothing like a little piece of mind.

Grrrrrrr.........There's nothing I hate more than spyware!!

Welcome to the spyfree world
Old 27-01-02, 05:18 PM   #7
napho
Dawn's private genie

Now there are clean versions of all 3 programs.
Refo-search, Grokhak, and IeX-Media 2.2

http://mhn.viettre.net/
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-02, 05:24 PM   #8
goldie
yea, it's me.

Big Wheeling Grin

WOW, what a FIND!!

Thanx for passing on the info Napho.

Old 27-01-02, 07:07 PM   #9
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

Lightbulb Re: Morpheus & bitrate limitation

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenrod

Kazaa had a reputation of imposing 128 bitrate limitation which made it impossible to dl any mp3s over 128. I don't know if it still does this or if there's a work around via regedit (like we have to do with Morph sometimes).
BLESS YOU MY CHILD! For months, I've been wondering why everybody's music on Morpheus was at 128 bitrate and lower! It caused me to turn completely to other p2p programs when it came to music.

I just went into the registry and changed the rather obvious value just sitting there. Had never even occured to me! Was going to ask about it here in p2p. I'm now seeing the higher quality I prefer! Thanks!

...and Thankyou napho for that link! I just installed IeX-Media 2.2. Looks amazingly like Morpheus...lol! ...No spyware I presume, but it still has that annoying little ad thingy in the lower left. That thing gets on my nerves and often brings downloads to a crawl or halts them altogether.
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-02, 07:21 PM   #10
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Re: Re: Morpheus & bitrate limitation

Quote:

...and Thankyou napho for that link! I just installed IeX-Media 2.2. Looks amazingly like Morpheus...lol! ...No spyware I presume, but it still has that annoying little ad thingy in the lower left. That thing gets on my nerves and often brings downloads to a crawl or halts them altogether.
Ad windows, did someone mention their hatred for Ad windows?

Heeheee - here ya go.

Since Morph uses IE, just go to IE's Tools>Internet Options>Security>Restricted Sites - click on >Sites>.

Go in there, add this entry into the text box: ads.musiccity.com, click okay, click okay again and BA-BA-BA-BOOM no more ads in da window. Just a nice empty white or black hole heeheehee

You can also add ads.musiccity.com to ye ole firewall settings too - also very effective

Old 27-01-02, 10:16 PM   #11
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

LOL! ...how incredibly easy it was to change the two things I've wanted to change the most for the longest damn time!

Thankyou goldenrod... you've made me a much, much happier Morpheus user today.

I had been thinking maybe I had to add that address perhaps in proxy>advanced or something ...or the host file in Windows ...or I didn't know what ...and I've just put off trying to tackle such a thing. ...hehe ...it was just toooo easy ...thanks again.

Last edited by Maze : 27-01-02 at 11:07 PM.
Old 27-01-02, 10:55 PM   #12
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Very Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenrod

Good Gawd , MaJor InFeStAtIoN!!

Johndoe mentioned this earlier, next time you run adaware, take advantage of the back-up function.

If you're in any doubt, back up the suspicious entries before deleting them - there's nothing like a little piece of mind.

Grrrrrrr.........There's nothing I hate more than spyware!! <-----I AGREE

Welcome to the spyfree world Since Morph uses IE, just go to IE's Tools>Internet Options>Security>Restricted Sites - click on >Sites>.

Go in there, add this entry into the text box: ads.musiccity.com, click okay, click okay again and BA-BA-BA-BOOM no more ads in da window. Just a nice empty white or black hole heeheehee

You can also add ads.musiccity.com to ye ole firewall settings too - also very effective
you may have to rclick in the ad get to properties cut and paste the offending ad in to IE's Tools>Internet Options>Security>Restricted Sites is one way i have found that works another is make a hosts file and c&p it there
i put a copy of a post on how to do that in my anti spy ware thread
there is an auto updater for the reflist for adaware
the latest one being :"005-16.01.2002"

so i hope thats a better writing style beCOZ i seem to bE getting flak four my abbreviated style
so sorry it seems every 1one has given up on an evolving improvment to communication i had a break away from forums and chat rooms four a year or too -so theres a lame excuse 4 ya
-multi
PS. i have this problem in real time speak as well !
that was hard !whew........

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-02, 12:23 AM   #13
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Default Spyware?

You might also want to try a Free adblocker like SpyBlocker Software. I recently started using this myself after a recomendation from MikeHunt over @ ZeroPaid.com. It really seems to be doing a good job. No pop-ups and no adds anywhere I surf...

P.S. - Multi, I could actually read your post the first try - lol
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-02, 12:49 AM   #14
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

Yes! Thanks multi interface ...I mean multi interesting user ...I mean multiple personality face ...I mean multi... hey thanks man! ...lol

I am just kidding with you dude! We've had a member here and the old Napster forum for a couple of years now that goes by the name aaacbada that I never could handle. I finally nicknamed him tripleA.

Nothing wrong with your name at all ...just me havin' a little fun. And you don't have to try and change the way you speak ...sometimes it's fun just to try and figure out what you're saying ...lol

That was seriously some useful info you gave there! Here's a zip containing a couple of hosts files. They have a lot of the ad addresses in them ...very many actually. Perhaps you see some you could add to what you already have.> HOSTS FILES & AD BLOCKING.zip

btw... I like your website mor·phia ...some cool stuff there.

Quote:
Originally posted by multi inter user face

PS. i have this problem in real time speak as well !
lol ...well you'd be interesting on the phone then.
Old 29-01-02, 09:29 AM   #15
multi

thx maze u r a real pal and i was getting real sick of :
typing you instead of u
typing one instead of 1
typing thanks instead of thx
typing that instead of th@
typing what instead of wh@
sort of a idea to make those mainstream corporate
bumsuckers who monitor FS 4ums give up trying
but i forgot those dear FSppl who hav'nt got english as their first language-is th@how u spell it
thanx also for the host file
it is time to go underground,underground
and wait for tomorrow-(from some old lost song...........um the jam i think)

Napho thank for all of the great links you have been putting up ...but
i cant get that link to work its probly just my lousy connection
i really would like to get a hold of grokhak
to compare reg entries with the original
any other you might know of
i hope they hav'nt been taken down
-multi

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard

Last edited by multi : 29-01-02 at 10:03 AM.
Old 29-01-02, 11:02 AM   #16
multi

Default Re: Spyware?

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K
You might also want to try a Free adblocker like SpyBlocker Software. I recently started using this myself after a recomendation from MikeHunt over @ ZeroPaid.com. It really seems to be doing a good job. No pop-ups and no adds anywhere I surf...

P.S. - Multi, I could actually read your post the first try - lol
yeah im not goin back to total obscurity in my posts it seems u need to be cryptoligist to 2 understand them
2 me 4ums is as easy to read as four-um....s... um um um um
any(note: not N E) way i have downloaded and installed spy blocker thx heaps 4 th@ 1(have to restart box tho)
do u know any thing about the pac,um pac-somthing(for adv users)creator was it
little pictures that sends info back to mothership eh!
have to put a stop to th@!

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
Old 11-02-02, 07:39 AM   #17
Mosser
Board Pimp

I made ieX-media.. may i ask..

How did you find it?
Mosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-02, 10:04 AM   #18
daddydirt
even the losers

Quote:
Originally posted by Mosser

How did you find it?
uh-oh
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-02, 03:53 PM   #19
nanook
just one of the gang...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mosser

How did you find it?
interesting site! i don't get it and there wasn't a real explanation with any of the links that i read.
it's a storage of stuff i'd give to be downloaded and there's points and i can upload and download, etc.
what does this, below mean??
what did u do??

"News: IeX-Media 2.2
Posted on Sunday, December 30 @ 02:32:26 CST by

I noticed someone had made a version of KaZaA, the peer-to-peer program I use and whilst reading about it I learned some shocking things about the original KaZaA.

I resource hacked this program and made a copy friendly to ieXbeta (link to the left).

I like it, i don't know about you, download it and see.

After you have tried it either post a comment here or at the reviews section.

Note: Last updated 31.12.01"

and how did u hear about us???

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-02, 03:55 PM   #20
Mosser
Board Pimp

Why u 'uh oh'

I like ppl using it, but i get complaints from people saying they cant conect, anyone know the cause?
Mosser is offline   Reply With Quote