P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 22-09-01, 08:27 AM   #1
JackSpratts

Default Morpheus Surpasses Napster

After an official programmers' census, where each individual Supernode was queried, it was discovered that Morpheus had approximately One Million, Five Hundred Thousand simultaneous users, beating Napsters' all time peak, set earlier last spring, by somewhere between 50,000 & 250,000 users.

So Napsterites this means: Morpheus has now become the worlds' biggest file sharing application – ever!

Thanks to Fastrack and MusicCity, the programmers and marketers, for their wonderful (and tricky) product and the users (and posters!) for their support, without whom this would not have occurred.

It becomes clear, especially in these times, that anything working to erase borders and bring people together in a peaceful way is a positive force for everyone. That a little file sharing application can do both so well is a tribute to its' creators and the people on whose computers it is allowed to run.

So congratulations to MusicCity & All The Morpheus Faithful, and a special thanks to the coders and users of ALL the file sharing applications with particular emphasis on the P2Ps but I especially need to thank SHAWN FANNING and NAPSTER, without whose insight and perseverance none of this would have been possible.

To exceed Napsters' numbers in no way lessens that singular achievement. Indeed, it is an extension of it. We're now adding to the global foundations Napster built.

- Jack Spratts
Old 22-09-01, 09:17 AM   #2
Moist_Funny_Head
Steal this avatar and you die my friend....and then you die.

Angry

Just be sure to block this IP address: 206.142.53.4

It is the ads.musiccity.com server and it tries to connect to your computer in any way possible. I blocked the addy and it has tried no less than 3000 times to access my PC in the last 5 days. That is pretty damn determined for an "ads" server. Just be careful is all I'm saying. Don't get me wrong I love the program but just block that IP address.
Old 22-09-01, 09:37 AM   #3
zombywoof

My c: drive got wiped out yesterday so I had to reload everything. I tried to install Morpheus v 1.3.2 but got a message back from the network that I have to use the latest version because previous versions they claim will not work. Will Morpheus only connect with the new version? I wasn't sure if I was having a problem comnnecting to morpheus network because even with the latest version I had trouble getting on.

walberg..thanks for the tip on the ad ip block.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-01, 09:48 AM   #4
Moist_Funny_Head

Angry

it still connects with previous versions but i dunno for how long though. I'm just waiting for the pay version to come out. Until them I'm gonna milk the ****ers dry I tells ay.
Old 22-09-01, 09:59 AM   #5
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by walberg_rastafari
it still connects with previous versions but i dunno for how long though. I'm just waiting for the pay version to come out. Until them I'm gonna milk the ****ers dry I tells ay.
Thanks.. maybe the network was hosed at the time I tried ..I'll try and reload it again...As for milking it until the pay version, same with me. Once they go pay, everyone will move on to another p2p app and morpheus will end up in the scrapheap where napster now lies..Until then, just enjoy it while it's still free.
Old 22-09-01, 10:02 AM   #6
JackSpratts

i use version 1.3.0, one of several july updates. this one has no set bit-limit. it connects and works fine. let me know if you want it and i'll email it to you. you just have to check "notify me of updates" and then refuse them when you connect.

as for the pop ups, i don't get any and i don't know why - i do know it's a problem with some users but it does not contain spyware.

finally, musiccity says they don't controll the existing software. it can't be recalled, pulled, altered or "shut down".

in any event and by any definition - a major achievement and a huge black eye for the riaa.

- js.
Old 22-09-01, 10:09 AM   #7
Moist_Funny_Head

Angry

Not trying to tred on your toes or anything but you should try to block the IP addy I suggested and see how many times it tries to connect. Then tell me it's not spy ware. As for the limit bitrate thing. It's just a registry entry. Current user/software/morpheus/ key: limitbitrate: 0 or 1?
Old 22-09-01, 10:12 AM   #8
Periwinkle Shadow
Fortified Board Wh0re

how are u guys blocking this ip addy?? i want to..just dunno how too
Periwinkle Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-01, 10:24 AM   #9
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
i use version 1.3.0, one of several july updates. this one has no set bit-limit. it connects and works fine. let me know if you want it and i'll email it to you. you just have to check "notify me of updates" and then refuse them when you connect.

as for the pop ups, i don't get any and i don't know why - i do know it's a problem with some users but it does not contain spyware.

finally, musiccity says they don't controll the existing software. it can't be recalled, pulled, altered or "shut down".

in any event and by any definition - a major achievement and a huge black eye for the riaa.

- js.
Thanks Jack..What I will try is to load the version 1.3.1 or 1.3.2 again and make sure I have the upgrade notification unchecked. If I still have a problem, I'll send you a PM and let you know where to send me v 1.3.0 because I don't have that release..Thanks
Old 22-09-01, 10:26 AM   #10
Moist_Funny_Head

Angry

Any decent firewall will do it. Most of us are using a software based firewall like Zone alarm or Neo watch or Tiny. All of them can block IP addy's. If you can't find 'em let me know. I'll point you in the right direction Love. Or email it or whatever ay.
Old 22-09-01, 10:28 AM   #11
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by Periwinkle Shadow
Peri, You can block it if you are using a firewall. I use at guard to ad block
Old 22-09-01, 10:32 AM   #12
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Thanks for an interesting update, Jack!

Quite an achievement from Music City - especially as Morpheus has done all of its growing with a very 'low profile' compared to Napster which got plenty of attention from the mainstream media. People have found Morpheus on their own and with the help of each other, and should Morpheus go down or commercial, people will no doubt be able to reorganize themselves into a similar huge community around other some other p2p software. Cheers to p2p revolution!

Quote:
Originally posted by Periwinkle Shadow
Peri, look for hosts. file (no filename extension) from your c:\windows folder (in NT and W2000 the folder is c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc). If you don't have such a file, you will find a file called hosts.sam - this is a sample file that you can copy as hosts. to the same folder.

Open hosts. file with notepad. You should find from there at least the following line:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Just below this line, add line

127.0.0.1 ads.musiccity.com

and save the file.

The addition you made will make your computer think that the ads.musiccity.com site resides actually in your own computer, hence Morpheus will not try to reach it (and its advertisements) from Internet.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-01, 10:36 AM   #13
Moist_Funny_Head

Angry

Damn good idea tankgirly. i didn't think of that one.
Old 22-09-01, 10:40 AM   #14
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by walberg_rastafari
you should try to block the IP addy I suggested and see how many times it tries to connect. Then tell me it's not spy ware. As for the limit bitrate thing. It's just a registry entry. Current user/software/morpheus/ key: limitbitrate: 0 or 1?
i'll try it but all it's doing is sending pop-ups. ad-aware shows nothing, musiccity denies it and the "experts" who really know this stuff have said it's clean.

that specific registry entry was left out of some versions. so there is no way to set it to zero on those, leaving users stuck with a 128 bit-limit. my version has the key line entry - and the proper setting.

- js.
Old 22-09-01, 10:45 AM   #15
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

Default Re: Morpheus Surpasses Napster

Quote:
After an official programmers' census, where each individual Supernode was queried, it was discovered that Morpheus had One Million, Five Hundred Thousand simultaneous users, beating Napsters' all time peak, set earlier this Spring, by about 250,000.

So Napsterites, this means: Morpheus has now become the biggest file sharing application in the world - ever.

It becomes clear in these times especially that anything working to erase borders and bring people together in a peaceful way is a positive force for everyone. That a little file sharing application can do both so well is a tribute to its' creators and the people on whose computers it is allowed to run.

- js.
BUT, 95 out of 100 times I try I can't even get results from another computer hooked to the same cable modem with a hub. So I'd call it the biggest collection of little file sharing nodes.
Old 22-09-01, 11:34 AM   #16
JackSpratts

thats absolutely right mike. the whole p2p experience is operationally different from napsters' server based protocols and that includes the amount of access to shared files and users' connections to other users thru the network (chat & hotlisting) .

however, since there is no finite upper limit on a p2ps' user base and the client continues to be refined, as is now being seen with morpheus, the day will come and soon when you'll be able to get Anything You Want, including alices' resturant, with just a keyboard and a click, making napster a distant though fond memory. as it already is for newbies .

- js.
Old 22-09-01, 12:17 PM   #17
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

winmx is better than morpheous............
[Dark] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-01, 12:50 PM   #18
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

Quote:
thats absolutely right mike. the whole p2p experience is operationally different from napsters' server based protocols and that includes the amount of access to shared files and users' connections to other users thru the network (chat & hotlisting) .

however, since there is no finite upper limit on a p2ps' user base and the client continues to be refined, as is now being seen with morpheus, the day will come and soon when you'll be able to get Anything You Want, including alices' resturant, with just a keyboard and a click, making napster a distant though fond memory. as it already is for newbies .

- js.

Doubt it Jack, they'd better come up with a way to do broader searches with less traffic. If they don't you'll still be searching only the supernodes closest to your conection.
Seems MC2 put it out that's why they limit the number of hits allowed and there is a self limiting search boundry. \
True unlimited P2P will return hits hours after the original request and cause havoc with the amount of traffic/data across the net. Even if each computer only quieries 2 computers after 20 quiery levels you're at 2 to the 20th power. That's a hell of a lot of data not to mention the cost to someone to get a file. Or do you think those search engines really go out and quiery every website every time you search for something?
Old 22-09-01, 12:56 PM   #19
JackSpratts

not everytime mike.

they do a full querry after a preset limit. in morpheus' case that limit is ten returns. if the first search finds ten or less, the client orders a full system rollout.

- js.
Old 22-09-01, 01:01 PM   #20
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

Then answer me this Jack, why can't I get returns from another computer hooked by a hub to the same cable modem as mine with it's own IP address more than 5 out of a hundred times? This using little copied titles like 40's big band and even some of Ramona's stuff.