P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 07-06-01, 01:51 PM   #1
Goth_Rey_Mysterio

Default Have you Stopped Using Napster?

Yes,I stoped Using Napster this Week.Since The Servers are filtered Napster isn't so Great anymore.
I have Started a search On various File-Sharing Programs. I have checked out-Bearshare-Gozilla-Rapigator-WinMX-and AudioGalaxy.
I still have a few to try before I make my mind on Which to use on the future, but so far I Enjoy Using WinMX the Best
I have Stoped Using Napster acutally since they block alot of stuff. Since Monday I have Been Using WinMX and It also Connectes to Napster servers,so its like having Napster but without the Napster software.I know Napster Servers are Filtered now but WinMx has its own servers as well and a variety of Music Files.

I want to Hear Peoples opinions on thier Current File-Sharing Program To Help Me and other Users decide which to try and maybe Keep as thier future File-Sharing Program.
Thanks to all that reply.
Old 07-06-01, 03:30 PM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Hi Goth_Rey_Mysterio!

WinMX is a good alternative for ex-Napster users but check also Morpheus, Music City's new client that is very popular (about 200.000 users now and no filtering ). Many people (including me) use a combination of these two clients. You can even run them at the same time if you wish and look for songs and movies from both of them. Morpheus is a bit heavier on your machine and it is also known to leak memory so I recommend you to restart the program now and then so that you don't run out of system resources.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-01, 08:06 PM   #3
zombywoof

As for napster, I stopped using their client accessing their servers since the filtering. I use different programs like Audiognome,WinMx, Gnucleus, Morpheus, Bearshare, Limewire, Copernic and to a lesser extent, the Napster client with napigator for opennap access. Sometimes I check out FTP sites to check for full albums.

Last edited by zombywoof : 12-06-01 at 06:51 PM.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-01, 08:25 PM   #4
thinker
Ex-Singular

Since the filtering started I've used Napster no more times than one could count on one hand, and only to serve morbid curiosity on what percentage the filtering leaves. I use WinMX 2.1 right now, and I think I will download 2.6 tonight and run both versions at the same time to see what happens. If you have dial-up and your connections are UNSTABLE, it may not be such a good idea to use Morpheus, as it does not give exact filesizes. WinMX does, and it would be easier to resume broken transfers that way. Morpheus is generally better for broadband users. Also, don't forget to deactivate supernode mode and a couple of other things, and do avoid the system resource depletion.

BTW, I tried to start using Napster once again to satisfy curiosity. It wouldn't even run, heh. POS.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-01, 08:26 PM   #5
VWguy
Japanamation junkie

I have been on Morpheus, and it is pretty good. I only just started with WinMx, and I don't like it. I have terrible DL speed, even for a dialup. ( never more than 3bps, mostly under 2)
It could just be me, I am still trying though.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. -Robin Williams

Your future in a nutshell.
VWguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-01, 12:51 AM   #6
Cash--
$¢$¢¢$

VW guy.
Im on dialup too. I have noticed that sometimes I get the same trouble with dl speeds....Usually I just stop that particular transfer, and try another copy of the same song...from a different user. Often times I get a better speed than I did with napster.
It just takes a while to find the right person, with the right song.
Cash-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-01, 07:42 AM   #7
Moist_Funny_Head
Steal this avatar and you die my friend....and then you die.

Angry

Napster? What's that? Oh you mean that old skool file sharing prog people used to use in the old days huh? Haven't seen that around since ages man. Seriously though I use Morpheus now. Napster sucks much ass and Audiognome can't connect to any decent servers anymore. I didn't like Win MX and Bearshare and Audiogalaxy (I think) have spyware in 'em. Morpheus was the only one left in the end.
Old 08-06-01, 11:15 AM   #8
Cash--
$¢$¢¢$

Does anyone on dialup use Morpheous?
Old 09-06-01, 02:42 AM   #9
schmooky007
hi

Red face

i stopped using napster back in dec 2000
so that'll make it about 7 months

i wasn't always keen about tunes from napster because of the quality
irc was and still is my main source
schmooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-01, 07:47 AM   #10
Pacewon

I'm using both Morpheus and WinMx right now, but I prefer Morpheus, since it's getting so hard to connect to those Open-Nap servers on WInMx, and their own serverless network is usually slow, and gives slow downloads... On morpheus I have had tons of downloads, exceding 100k/s...
Pacewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-01, 12:43 PM   #11
fblaguy
Senior Napsterite

Well, I use WinMX and I like to use that right now.....

Morpheous is good though
fblaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-01, 03:20 PM   #12
Goth_Rey_Mysterio

Quote:
Originally posted by walberg_rastafari
Napster? What's that? Oh you mean that old skool file sharing prog people used to use in the old days huh? Haven't seen that around since ages man. Seriously though I use Morpheus now. Napster sucks much ass and Audiognome can't connect to any decent servers anymore. I didn't like Win MX and Bearshare and Audiogalaxy (I think) have spyware in 'em. Morpheus was the only one left in the end.
What Exactly is Spyware and How does it effect me?
lol, In Fact I do Have WinMX,Bearshare and Audiogalaxy,although I'm thinking of removing Bearshare sine I don't use it much and Don't like it.

Also What is an FTP site? Is that what Audiogalaxy runs on? Thanks for answering my 3 Questions
Old 10-06-01, 03:02 AM   #13
naz
-

aint used napster in a few weeks but theres a wealth of obscure shit still available on it, this will no doubt change. IRC's pretty cool for filetrading, not if your looking for something in particluar [unless its appz] but just a cool way to share.
BRING BACK #MP3
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-01, 11:42 AM   #14
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by Goth_Rey_Mysterio

What Exactly is Spyware and How does it effect me?
lol, In Fact I do Have WinMX,Bearshare and Audiogalaxy,although I'm thinking of removing Bearshare sine I don't use it much and Don't like it.

Also What is an FTP site? Is that what Audiogalaxy runs on? Thanks for answering my 3 Questions
1. Spyware or Adware is that the advertising companies install additional tracking software on your system, which is continuously calling home, using your Internet connection and reports statistical data.

2. An FTP Site is a server where downloading and uploading can be accomplished. When you log onto an FTP server, it works like navigating through your hard drive. A server is a program on a computer which services client requests. You connect to an FTP server by knowing its IP address and the port it runs on.

3. Audiogalaxy is not an ftp but a peer-to-peer filehare app similar to that of napster.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-01, 10:59 AM   #15
eclectica

It used to be that when using Napster I had to post my connection speed as lower than it was, because too many people were uploading at once, causing transfer errors. Then in the last month or so, I was able to truthfully list my connection speed. Now, the filters are knocking off about 94% of my files. I go on to Napster for a few hours and nothing happens. Whereas I used to go on to Napster to support it, lately I've come to the conclusion that the hamfisted sloppy filtering is Napster's fault, rather than Patel's. They've had plenty of time to develop a better method. I'm starting to develop a cynical attitude towards Napster, not unlike that of 9504, but I still haven't deleted it because I like to see what they're up to from day to day.

I've been waiting to see what other file sharing programs will become a good replacement, and so far I've seen Morpheus mentioned the most, but I haven't dumped Napster yet. Check this link out, which reviews some Napster clones:
http://www.geocities.com/napster_programs/
Old 11-06-01, 11:23 AM   #16
Tom9504

Quote:
Originally posted by eclectica
I'm starting to develop a cynical attitude towards Napster, not unlike that of 9504, but I still haven't deleted it because I like to see what they're up to from day to day.
Just call me the Napster-cynic master... hehe.

... but oddly enough, I haven't deleted it either (I still have all 10 betas installed, actually). I will go on from time-to-time just to see how things are going, like you and probably many others still do. Sharing 7 files though, and I haven't had a download in weeks. Occasionally I will get one if I go on after getting some new Top 40 stuff that Napster haven't got around to putting in the filters yet.

I've been looking for alternatives... I've downloaded Morpheus, WinMX, BearShare and AudioGnome so far. BearShare and WinMX both take ages to connect to servers, and then all of the search results are almost instantly invalid. I've never had a full download on either. Also, WinMX's UI and website looks like it was designed by a monkey.

Morpheus and AudioGnome are the only ones I would consider using right now... Morpheus is my favourite for getting the actual music (basically, for leeching), while AudioGnome is much better for talking to people, IMs and the general social side of things.

Just my opinion of the alternatives so far... I'd be interested if anyone can suggest any others to try.
Tom9504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-01, 12:49 PM   #17
eclectica

Moore's law:
every eighteen months, processor speeds will double.

Shawn's law:
every eighteen days, your shared files will be halved.
Old 11-06-01, 10:04 PM   #18
relic
gone for good

Quote:
Originally posted by Cash--
Does anyone on dialup use Morpheous?
yep I do...I've even downloaded movie using it on a dialup

as for the napster question...yes I use the client, but when I absolutely can't find a song I use either Audiognome or Morpheus.

edit: spelling.

Last edited by relic : 11-06-01 at 11:53 PM.
relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-01, 11:01 PM   #19
Cash--
$¢$¢¢$

triple-A

Does it work very well for you.....
what kinda tranny rate do you usually get?
Old 11-06-01, 11:58 PM   #20
relic
gone for good

Quote:
Originally posted by Cash--
triple-A

Does it work very well for you.....
what kinda tranny rate do you usually get?
depending on how many differ users you are getting the file from I have usually been getting transfer rates anywhere between 3.5 and 6. With my movie I got between 3 and 4 most of the time...but sometimes I was really going slow at 1 or 2 transferies (hence the download took about 2 weeks). It seems like all the songs I get with Morpheus transfer rather quickly, I set my new transfer record using Morpheus (6.4).
relic is offline   Reply With Quote