P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 14-10-02, 03:02 PM   #1
nanook
just one of the gang...

Default KaZaA Lite 2.0 Questions...

just a few from me.
i am a big time winmx fan, but with the new 3.0 version......i am out.
i've been checking out some others and am familiar with kazaa, when i tried Morpheus out, some time ago.

1) when a user goes to 0.00kb/s or cancels, only to come back on, r they actually resuming from me and others, even though it shows their file, starting over?

2) how come in "my kazaa", i cannot click "artists" into alphabetical order, but only the "title"?

3) what's with the player? seems i have to download something, in order to preview the download. either that or wait til it's complete and play in winamp. would be nice to see if it's a piece of crap, before wasting my time dling the whole file, since i'm 56k. is the download, to use the player, a one time thing, or do i have to do this every time i wish to preview?

spanks, all!!!!!!!!!!

so far, i'm okay with this app. speeds r above decent for 56k standards and my dl's always finish.
i like that there r atleast 200 results, compared to the 100 in Morpheus.

any advice is appreciated.

i'm using diet kazaa, kazaa lite 2.0, with the addons.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-02, 04:16 PM   #2
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

1 prolly resuming from other and yourself perhaps, you can check your bandwidth to see if your actually uploading

2 hmmm works for me....

3 dietk is adding a new feature i believe that will allow you to preview unfinished movies....

there is also another new add-on coming called kazaa's little helper

looks very promising......but the way it looks kazaa might not be around for that much longer anyways......and hopefully winmx, will make some fixes and release winmx 4
[Dark] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-02, 02:58 AM   #3
colinmacc

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkManX

......but the way it looks kazaa might not be around for that much longer anyways......

Why? What makes you say that? I think Kazaa will be around for a long time yet.
colinmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-02, 05:26 AM   #4
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by colinmacc

Why? What makes you say that? I think Kazaa will be around for a long time yet.
They're being sued. They got a court date in December. They could and probably will face the same fate as napster.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-02, 05:41 AM   #5
colinmacc

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar

They're being sued. They got a court date in December. They could and probably will face the same fate as napster.
(((Shrugs))) Just cause you're being sued doesn't mean you're going to be found guilty. Or even if you are found guilty there are plenty of loopholes in the law to exploit. Especially International Law. Don't be so pessimistic!
Old 15-10-02, 05:54 AM   #6
zombywoof

When have you seen any major victories won in the courtroom for peer-peer since napster got sued. I've yet to see a p2p win one of these suits and dont see kazaa winning it either. Its not pessimism . Its based a trend of the lack of success p2p has in a courtroom fight. .
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-02, 06:07 AM   #7
colinmacc

Kiss My Ass

They won in the Netherlands..
Old 15-10-02, 08:11 AM   #8
JackSpratts

how important are servers to the operation of kazaa? if indispensable - and they lose the court case - shutting them down will seriously impact the system - unless the servers are moved to a country, like the netherlands, that doesn't find them illegal. if servers aren't that critical the network will continue to operate on it's own until the riaa goes after individuals, which could take a very long while, especially if a few courts rule that trading among individuals isn't violating the law. i can't see mass arrests in the future; i don't think the politicians have the stomach for it. they're not elected by media companies, just bought by them. the people still go to the booths and pull the levers.

howard berman, the most rabidly pro-riaa congressman in history is finding this out hard way. he was wholly unprepared for the negative storm of protest his riaa-hacking bill received from the press and public. he's gotten so defensive about it he's resorted to calling his critics "liars". needless to say it's not playing well with people, especially the ones who elected him.

there's plenty of life left in legal peer-to-peer. and of course outlaw p2p will go on forever.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-02, 11:14 AM   #9
jaan

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
how important are servers to the operation of kazaa?
other than displaying www.kazaa.com as startpage, kazaa client is fully server-independent.

plus, needless to say, the clients don't really depend on www.kazaa.com to be available in order to function: some "unofficial" clients replace www.kazaa.com with their own homepage, without any adverse effects on the client.

- jaan
jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-02, 11:21 AM   #10
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

and even if they're sued successfully in the US, so what? Sharman's based in Australia and legally domiciled in Vanuatu or some other Pacific haven.

re the original questions
1) the progress bar now seems to go not by the whole file, but by the partial chunk being downloaded; when a chunk is finished, the connection drops, then restarts with the next chunk.

2)I've noticed clicking Media sorts by filesize. looks like there's plenty of bugs in the columns.

3) dunno
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-02, 11:35 AM   #11
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by jaan
other than displaying www.kazaa.com as startpage, kazaa client is fully server-independent.

plus, needless to say, the clients don't really depend on www.kazaa.com to be available in order to function: some "unofficial" clients replace www.kazaa.com with their own homepage, without any adverse effects on the client.

- jaan
still there's the unfortunate matter of the morpheus lockout, something the riaa is aware of (and no doubt the court). what's to stop a judge from ordering a repeat ("you shutdown one, so shutdown the rest"), this time locking out all clients and would that stop or seriously hobble fasttrack jaan?

- js.
Old 15-10-02, 12:14 PM   #12
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

The flaw in your argument Jack is that the Morpheus lockout did indeed lock out all clients, Kazaa & Grokster included. jaan is qualified to tell you more about the protocol changes, which mainly involved stronger encryption of communications.

The only way to force everyone to upgrade, would be via deception or the auto-update feature. Even then, the network should sustain itself. The only reason iMorpheus failed is because it wasn't enthusiastically embraced by a critical mass of users. I'm sure even the most incompetent users would revert to previous versions if the update restricted them in any way.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-02, 12:38 PM   #13
JackSpratts

dave, i didn't say the morpheus lockout shut down the other clients. i don't know where you got that. no matter. the fact is that within 48 hours (or less) after being shut out morpheus was indeed dead, even the clients that weren't updated like mine and thousands of others.

obviously the management of fasttrack depended on just that happening. now it may haunt them, for so may the courts.

- js.
Old 15-10-02, 03:05 PM   #14
jaan

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
still there's the unfortunate matter of the morpheus lockout
true. however, that's not really relevant. i'm sure you understand that i'm not allowed to discuss any details on this, so let me just re-iterate what has been said before: the morpheus lockout had everything to do with the version of their client and how it was incompatible with newer clients. in other words, this particular version of the client (1.3x if i remember correctly) wasn't really future-proof. the same cannot necessarily be said about newer (or, in fact, older) versions.

also note that you can still form a subnetwork of old morpheus clients if you a) modify some registry keys, and b) manage to avoid contacts with newer clients. i think i've seen some reports of this even here on napsterites.

- jaan
Old 15-10-02, 05:58 PM   #15
JackSpratts

Quote:
true...this particular version of the client (1.3x if i remember correctly) wasn't really future-proof. the same cannot necessarily be said about newer (or, in fact, older) versions.

interesting.

Quote:

also note that you can still form a subnetwork of old morpheus clients if you a) modify some registry keys, and b) manage to avoid contacts with newer clients. i think i've seen some reports of this even here on napsterites.

- jaan
yeah we tried the registry keys. never really worked. the "network" formed was a dissipated shadow of its former robust self.

- js.
Old 16-10-02, 03:46 AM   #16
colinmacc

Quote:
Really? What happens then if your client can't connect to any of the supernode addresses stored in the registry? Does it not contact a Kazaa IP address to ask for instructions? (I think I read that once, either here or somewhere else)

Sorry if I'm off-topic, or if you're not allowed to discuss it, but I find the whole subject of how FastTrack organises itself fascinating.
Old 16-10-02, 05:26 AM   #17
jaan

Quote:
Really? What happens then if your client can't connect to any of the supernode addresses stored in the registry?
then it won't connect.

Quote:
Does it not contact a Kazaa IP address to ask for instructions?
no. it's rather easy to verify: just go and delete the registry key with supernode addresses (i'm sure you can locate it easily), and then launch kazaa. it will just sit there "connecting..." forever.

the rumours about fasttrack's central "access key" and "supernode IP cache" servers are complete myth. it used to have a central login server to guarantee the uniqueness of usernames, but that was scrapped with the sale of kazaa to sharman.

- jaan
Old 16-10-02, 06:30 AM   #18
colinmacc

Thumbs up

That's very interesting information - Thanks alot Jaan!

So the network holds itself together more by statistical probability than anything else...

Also, it relies on the fact that the majority of supernodes are always connected to the network and always have static IP addresses?

Well, it obviously works, and very well indeed! Genius!
Old 16-10-02, 09:34 AM   #19
WilliamdeWorde
reporter

an interesting (th)read.

Kazaa, I hope will be around for a while yet, in my totally unqualified opinion.
But surely with the proliferation of clients, admittedly not all to the FastTrack network, p2p is something that will take a very long time to eradicate.

and to the original post if you want to preview any downloads (avi/mpeg) then try videolan , it works great.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download.html

and don't bother with the built-in player

WilliamdeWorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-02, 05:19 PM   #20
jaan

Quote:
Also, it relies on the fact that the majority of supernodes are always connected to the network and always have static IP addresses?
no, it does not rely on either. those things help, of course.

- jaan