P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 07-09-02, 09:30 PM   #1
pgs92109
Senior Napsterite

Angry Suddenly Having Trouble Connecting To WPNP in WinMx

I can connect to the Open Nap servers, but not WPNP. I have tried configuring WinMx to primary and secondary connections without success.

It worked fine last week, and I can't connect to WPNP whether Zone Alarm is active or shut down.

Yesterday, WinMx came out with v. 3.3. I am still running v. 3.22 and have not upgraded. I am running Windows 98.

Could it have anything to do with the new version coming out?

Anyone else having this problem?
pgs92109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-02, 09:58 PM   #2
SJ56

Exclamation

U MUST upgrade to 3.3
the previous ones dont work anymore.
SJ56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-02, 10:33 PM   #3
pgs92109
Senior Napsterite

That sucks. Is WinMx now forcing us to upgrade? I don't think they've ever done that before. Any way around this?
Old 08-09-02, 12:02 AM   #4
napho
Dawn's private genie

I still have 2.6 and it connects fine although the number of results aren't close to 3.3. If you don't want the latest give the old one a try.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/knight.phil/winmx260.exe

http://strony.wp.pl/wp/instalki1/winmx/winmx260.exe
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-02, 12:12 AM   #5
nanook
just one of the gang...

Quote:
U MUST upgrade to 3.3
the previous ones dont work anymore.
i don't believe this is true, because....

Quote:
I still have 2.6 and it connects fine although the number of results aren't close to 3.3. If you don't want the latest give the old one a try.
ditto, napho.
i did have some troubles connecting tonight, but it did connect.
i also still have 2.6.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-02, 12:52 AM   #6
Shani
Spagal

using 2.6.. cant connect to WPNP either..

this looks new too.. pain in the ass.
Attached Images

Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-02, 06:58 AM   #7
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

I recently d/l'd and tried WinMX for the first time (after reading good things about it here) but I was disappointed. Seems like it takes forever to bring up very few search results (e.g. I search Peter Gabriel and only get three hits?). I was not able to see any stats such as # of users or available files - is there not some way to see this?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-02, 07:33 AM   #8
zombywoof

zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-02, 07:43 AM   #9
theknife

ok....(*sigh* - this is the part where I gotta ask dumb questions) - how did you get WPNP running?

when I run a search, it just sits there waiting for results...

for that matter, how do you get OpenNap running? I know this has been covered here elsewhere - I need a list of .wsx, right?

I feel like such a newbie.....
Old 08-09-02, 08:07 AM   #10
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife
ok....(*sigh* - this is the part where I gotta ask dumb questions) - how did you get WPNP running?

when I run a search, it just sits there waiting for results...

for that matter, how do you get OpenNap running? I know this has been covered here elsewhere - I need a list of .wsx, right?

I feel like such a newbie.....
I just did a reformat recently so I have not moved any opennap servers into the list yet. This search result was from WPNP.

BTW..I could not connect winmx yesterday. So there must have been a trouble with the winmx network.

As for opennap servers, I think trippymx has a list that can be added to winmx. Also, there are some who are running servers which can be found at .org.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-02, 08:50 AM   #11
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Quote:
I recently d/l'd and tried WinMX for the first time (after reading good things about it here) but I was disappointed. Seems like it takes forever to bring up very few search results (e.g. I search Peter Gabriel and only get three hits?). I was not able to see any stats such as # of users or available files - is there not some way to see this?
Have you tried Blubster theknife? A simple program, that always has lots of readily available songs. I found 437 results.

(sorry this is blurry, I don't feel like messing with it)
Attached Images

Old 08-09-02, 10:48 AM   #12
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Can you change the download dir in Blubster 2 beta now? First unofficial release I tried, you could type in a new location, but it wouldn't save.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-02, 10:48 AM   #13
pgs92109
Senior Napsterite

OK, I tried reinstalling WinMx 2.1, 2.5, and 3.22. I was not able to connect to WPNP using any of them. So I took the plunge and installed 3.3, and I was able to connect to WPNP easily.

Knife: I think you might have to upgrade to 3.3. To obtain the latest Open Nap servers list you must d/l Napigator or MagixNap1.5b.

Then, just run either Napigator or MagixMx1.5b, refresh the servers list, and go to servers>export to>WinMx(.wsx). Then, label and export the .wsx file to your desktop (you will be prompted to do this). Then, run WinMx 3.3> OpenNap Protocol Networks> Networks>Import .wsx.

I'm not sure if you can use this method to import Open Nap server lists into versions of WinMx prior to 3.22, but it works for 3.22 and 3.3.

A good website for WinMx support can be found here.
Old 08-09-02, 12:47 PM   #14
theknife

thanks all....think I'm getting it now. these queues are terminally long but i'll suffer thru it.

two questions:

what do the percentages indicate by the file size in the search window (see below)? does this mean the person only has that percentage of the file i want (as if they are still d/l'ing it from someone else)?

secondly, is there way to see the overall stats, as in how many users and files are out there overall?
Attached Images

Old 08-09-02, 02:01 PM   #15
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
what do the percentages indicate by the file size in the search window (see below)? does this mean the person only has that percentage of the file i want (as if they are still d/l'ing it from someone else)?
Yes. WinMX supports further downloading from uncompleted files (on WPNP) which is an excellent technique.

Quote:
secondly, is there way to see the overall stats, as in how many users and files are out there overall?
No.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-02, 02:34 PM   #16
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

I haven't tried a recent version of WinMX yet, but I know that eDonkey-style partial file-sharing isn't supported. Those percentages have to with with multi-source downloads eg. You're downloading 50% from User4, because he has the fastest & most reliable connection. The other users provide the other bits, but of course it doesn't matter from which user you download which part. You'll get the file eventually either way! FT-clients use a similar technique when dealing with multi-source downloads.

Somebody else could more accurately answer your second question, but I believe there are problems with doing so. Especially considering that each client utilises a different protocol/network, and the OpenNap servers don't all use identical indexing techniques. The forced update might actually provide the answer!
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-02, 04:50 PM   #17
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by ssj4_android
Can you change the download dir in Blubster 2 beta now? First unofficial release I tried, you could type in a new location, but it wouldn't save.

You can change the download folder by editing the settings ini file.
Attached Images

napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-02, 11:40 AM   #18
pod
Bumbling idiot

Default Re: Suddenly Having Trouble Connecting To WPNP in WinMx

Quote:
Originally posted by pgs92109
I can connect to the Open Nap servers, but not WPNP. I have tried configuring WinMx to primary and secondary connections without success.

It worked fine last week, and I can't connect to WPNP whether Zone Alarm is active or shut down.

Yesterday, WinMx came out with v. 3.3. I am still running v. 3.22 and have not upgraded. I am running Windows 98.

Could it have anything to do with the new version coming out?
You think?

I don't think WinMX ever locked out versions, or even that they can. Old versions usually work, but can only talk to each other (not forward compatible). I remember back in the 2.6 beta (nad beyond) days whenever my WinMX stopped working I knew I had to download a new version, because everyone upgraded and I had no peers to connect to. Probably after a few minutes of looking it would connect to a small network, but I'd just upgrade.

The new version has some search interface improvements as well as download window simplifications. I don't recall any groundbreaking improvements. I did notice some problems; starting a download lags the interface a lot for a couple of seconds, and every 1-2 minutes there is a similar lag I notice just running normally not clicking anything, and there is a spike in network bandwidth. Maybe because I'm running as a primary node? Is it auto-refreshing the file list (all my files sit on a network drive, so this would take a few seconds)? OTOH, there is no pause when switching to the shared files tab (usually took about 30 seconds).

Still, WinMX is my favourite music getting app, but it's starting to get a little annoying, and lots of leech blocking to keep me busy.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-02, 04:35 PM   #19
petriburg

TrippyMX and others are frequently mentioned on this forum as sources for OpenNap connections. What surprises me is that there is no mention of NapMX - it works fine with 3.3 for me, just as it has with earlier versions of WinMX. NapMX is on offer free from Zeropaid, so I just wonder whether there is some flaw with it which I haven't noticed, or any other reason???????

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-02, 04:50 PM   #20
JackSpratts

petri, people have been recomending napmx here for quite awhile. it definitely has its fans at nu.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote