P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 14-06-02, 01:20 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Thumbs up Testing the new serverless eDonkey- Flock

It seems to be almost flawless although with few ppl online you can't get many files; that's not the purpose of alpha or beta testing anyway. It works fine with sharereactor and filenexus links. I can see the new era just beyond the horizon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flock.jpg
Views:	1408
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1813  
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-02, 01:30 PM   #2
JackSpratts

nice link napho. howzabout some e-donkey guru posting an easy howto for the guests?

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-02, 01:45 PM   #3
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Link? Is there any place I can download it?
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-02, 01:53 PM   #4
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by ssj4_android
Ooops! Cursor wasn't in message window... Hit enter twice to to drop down a couple lines from Quote to start my message...
Ended up with two blank posts...
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-02, 01:53 PM   #5
BuzzB2K

Quote:
http://home.edonkey2000.com/files/flock0.21.exe

And I would have gotten the link up before Napho, but had to edit my post to complete what was my original intention... (what?)
Old 14-06-02, 01:53 PM   #6
napho
Dawn's private genie

http://home.edonkey2000.com/files/flock0.21.exe

Here's atool to help you connect better. Just got it.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/appbyhp/F...r0.21.0012.zip
Old 14-06-02, 02:10 PM   #7
BuzzB2K

And here is a link to the eDonkey2000 Forum » » Bug reports. Bugs in Flock 0.21

And another link to ShareReactor Welcome To Flock!!!!

I've been on ez Boards too long... Did the above links as [link= instead of [url=

After looking at the SharReactor link, it appears to be the one to Bookmark as it has [u]all of the above links[/u] listed in the first post...
Old 14-06-02, 03:33 PM   #8
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K
After looking at the SharReactor link, it appears to be the one to Bookmark as it has all of the above links listed in the first post...
And to boot, that Sharereactor forum also lists a link to download the Microsoft .NET framework needed to execute Flock:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...tnetredist.exe

I'd like to stress that there is great controversy about why Flock was built based on .NET, which is after all not a finished product yet. I personally am not bothering with Flock at the moment because I do not want to install .NET on my machine at this time.

Stoepsel
Old 14-06-02, 03:34 PM   #9
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

I'm confused. How is this different the current edonkey?
Old 14-06-02, 03:39 PM   #10
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
I'm confused. How is this different the current edonkey?
This one is a different program. It doesn't have any servers, it's like Gnutella. Those servers are getting overcrowded. This is the future and so is .net. I tried the Gnutella client Swapper and the Audiogalaxy album downloader; both needed .net installed. I haven't had any problems with it.
Old 14-06-02, 05:04 PM   #11
AYB

As a developer, .NET gets my juices flowing. The-secret-AYB-uber-leet-p2p-project is going to be coded initially in .NET as it will allow us to code and develop at speed. It's Microsoft beating Java at its own game.

I'll dig up some more Microsoft propoganda to "persuade" you later when I'm not about to fall asleep at my keyboard
AYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-02, 05:23 PM   #12
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Love

Quote:
Originally posted by napho

This one is a different program. It doesn't have any servers, it's like Gnutella. Those servers are getting overcrowded. This is the future and so is .net. I tried the Gnutella client Swapper and the Audiogalaxy album downloader; both needed .net installed. I haven't had any problems with it.
Thanks
Old 14-06-02, 05:26 PM   #13
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
Originally posted by AYB
As a developer, .NET gets my juices flowing. The-secret-AYB-uber-leet-p2p-project is going to be coded initially in .NET as it will allow us to code and develop at speed. It's Microsoft beating Java at its own game.
I was wondering about that. I did remember you saying that your program was going to be built on .NET. Anyhow, I've read up a little about it and it does seem that it can be looked at as a tool for programers somewhat in the way Java is a tool. Although, from what I've read it's not a programing language like Java but rather a framework "tool" that will allow better communications between programs. Anyhow, I definitely don't know that much about .NET and I'm sure AYB or other programmers can explain it better.

For those of you who want to learn a little more about .NET you can read this article I found: http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/j...-iw-msnet.html

Although, here is a quote from the article that I believe summons up what .NET is all about:
Quote:
It is an application framework, meaning that it provides applications with the system and network services they require. The .Net services range from displaying graphical user interfaces to communicating with other servers and applications in the enterprise. It replaces Windows COM (Component Object Model) with a much simpler object model that is implemented consistently across programming languages. This makes sharing data among applications, even via the Internet, easy and transparent. .Net also substantially improves application scalability and reliability, with portability being a stated but not yet realized objective. These are clear benefits demonstrated by the prebeta edition of .Net.
But it is understandable that anything coming from Microsoft should be questioned first before trying. I'm still debating about .NET myself.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-02, 07:04 PM   #14
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

That article is out of date. In fact, they were wrong. .NET didn't come integrated with Whistler (WinXP).If it helps people make better programs easier, it's good. There was a security hole. AFAIK, they only released one patch.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-02, 07:23 PM   #15
JohnDoe345

Quote:
That article is out of date.
Yeah, sorry about that. I just noticed the date on that article. There were several that I've read but that was that only one I remembered to bookmark. Although, if you read most of the general descriptions of the article it does give you some idea of what .NET is about. I'll see if I can find the links to the other articles that I've read or maybe AYB will find better information to read. Although, AYB might be slightly biased since his program will also run on .NET
Old 15-06-02, 12:33 PM   #16
AYB

Here's what seems to be a fairly comprehensive overview of what exactly .NET is:

http://www.arstechnica.com/paedia/n/net/net-1.html

I'll be honest the reason it appeals to me is not from any user benefits (although obviously whatever aspects of it concern users also concerns me) its just a Java-like language (C#) in a familiar Microsoft development environment with easy to design Visual Basic stylee windows all of which means its a breeze for me to code in it.

The initial plan is to first code it in .NET because that should allow us to get it out there as soon as possible, and then code a Java version for cross platform compatibility and anyone who has issues with using .NET, which shouldn't be too hard as C# is very similar to Java.
AYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-02, 05:35 PM   #17
JohnDoe345

Well, the more I read about .NET the more it sounds like it's a tool used by programmers kind of like Java. So I've decided to take the plunge and installed it. So far my computer hasn't exploded so I think I'm going to be ok I guess I'll see the full impact of .NET in the days to come. Basically, once you install it your computer can now interpret programs that are meant to be used with .NET. Kind of like needing to install Java to run Java applets. Aside from that my computer really isn't much different that I can tell, but I'm definitely not a fan of Microsoft so I'll be sure to let you guys know if there is a problem.

As for Flock itself, I think that this is the answer to the pains of using edonkey. The use of servers was its biggest flaw. Now that they have made it severless it runs more like FastTrack or Gnutella but with all the added benefits of the original edonkey. It's too early to tell but this may finally be something that can compete against the front runner FastTrack.

The reason I say this is because the biggest complaint about edonkey was it's slow and inconsistant speeds along with too much work by the users to keep the server lists updated (if a user can't just turn it on, search, and then download then it's not considered user friendly by most people). So far with Flock v0.22 speeds have been for the most part consistant and much faster then the original edonkey. It's also really easy to use. Just open the program do a search and download. Although, since there is only a small group of users currently willing to use the test version it's best to only download popular files. If you don't then you'll most likely be in que for awhile and you won't get that great of a speed because you'll only have one source.

Anyhow, if you are willing to install .NET then you definitely should try out Flock. It's still being tested so there are bugs but so far I'm impressed.
Old 16-06-02, 02:15 AM   #18
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

seeing as how I got stuck being an every-day-of-my-life beta tester for MS (i.e. using Win98SE as my OS ), I think i'll hold off a little while on installing .Net.

will probably wait for the Java version of AYBster, long may it live

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
Director of Enforcement
MediaForce, Inc.
(212) 925-9997
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-02, 03:22 PM   #19
napho
Dawn's private genie

This thing is now in beta and works well (but the site appears to be down).

"eDonkey2000 as we know it; a centralized, server supported network, will soon be written off in the annals of P2P history. Welcome Overnet, the decentralized alternative to this veteran P2P network.

After months of alpha testing, a new and stable Overnet client is now available. Although the interface remains "eDonkyish", its stability, connectivity and resourcefulness is impressive. While previous alpha versions struggled to perform, especially in the Windows 98 environment, Overnet hums a long on XP, consuming little in the way of system resources. CPC usage is negligible, while he program consumes around 8-15 MB of memory.

As network performance goes, we were impressed with the 3,000+ individuals who already have populated this network. The downloading mechanism is identical to original eDonkey2000, so if you throw something into queue, you'll get it - eventually. With the program still in early beta, most of your time will be spent waiting for your download to initiate. However, as progress continues to be made and more individuals populate this network, we should see its performance improve.

eDonkey's transition marks an important time in P2P's history; as iMesh and DirectConnect are the only two major centralized networks remaining. While many refer to the P2P communities that have risen since Napster's wake as "clones", this era of file-sharing is anything but. The networks that exist today are more efficient, more powerful, more diverse, and in the cases of WinMX and FastTrack, much larger than Napster ever was. Check out Overnet and take a peak into the next iteration of the eDonkey network "

http://downloads.come2store.com/napho2/overnet0.27.exe
Old 20-07-02, 04:01 PM   #20
JackSpratts

couldn't run it. says i'm missing some dll. it's uninstalled now but let me know how it is in the days ahead, thanks.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote