P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 19-10-02, 07:32 PM   #1
JackSpratts

Default No Tower? No Problem. Wireless PDAs Get Their Own P2P Network

Take out the cell phone tower networks that Personal Digital Assistants rely on for communicating and you’re left with isolated and expensive paper weights - until now that is. A company called Green Packet Inc has announced the first (to my knowledge) self organizing P2P community for wireless PDAs. It allows chat, voice, gaming and (cough) sharing between any tower networked or non-tower networked PDAs running their software (hello RIAA). The company says speeds can go higher than a megabyte! Info, flash commercial and beta download.

Wow. No ISP. This could be something else entirely.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-02, 07:21 PM   #2
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

This is good news. I always imagined that if the RIAA and MPAA had their way and P2P was shut out of the internet then people would form a second internet connecting directly with dial up modems. Of course, to do that each computer would need multiple modems and multiple phone lines to build the network.

But with Wi-Fi you only need one card to make multiple connections, and it doesn't need a hard-wire infrastructure. Eventually open source projects will pop up that will do what Green Packet is doing here. Neighborhood wireless networks will form all around the world that will become more interconnected as more users bridge the gaps in between. A wireless internet will form parallel to the hard wire internet with millions of cross connections to unite them.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-02, 07:45 PM   #3
JackSpratts

absolutely. and if it works as well as advertised it won't be long before it migrates beyond pdas. far beyond. with speeds comparable to cable and DSL or faster, we'll be putting these on our desktops. at least people in more populated areas will, like me.
kinda hard to it shut down i would think if there’s no central server to close and no isp to muscle. who's going to cough up your ip anyway, and how? is there even one in the normal sense? seems pretty secure and anonymous to me (but i'll defer to someone like tankgirl for more on that).

This I like. A lot.

- js.
Old 20-10-02, 09:38 PM   #4
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Thanks for the story, Jack!

This is a very positive technical development. Alternative communication and networking channels bypassing the ISPs altogether hold a great promise for filesharing and p2p. This kind of truly decentralized infrastructure is very hard to control by any vested interests, and it is easy to imagine new kind of file and stream sharing networks developing into densely populated areas as Jack suggested.

Much of what applies to decentralized p2p networks in general would also apply to Wi-Fi networks. To build secure personal and group relations you would need permanent and verifiable identities and encrypted communications, and you would also need some basic protection mechanisms against hostile nodes. But it would be a great advantage to not have your connectivity (and the disclosing of your real world identity) at the mercy of your ISP. Good stuff for us, bad stuff for the copyright nazis!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-02, 01:06 PM   #5
JackSpratts

New P2P announcement for hand helds. - js.

By Mark Long -e-inSITE

VL Inc. has released version 2.0 of the company's VoIP technology for handheld devices. Developed for use with the Pocket PC and Windows CE operating systems,

PocketGphone 2.0 features SIP compliance as well as a low latency of just 50 ms.

The recent emergence of the 802.11/Wi-Fi standard has enabled cost effective deployment of unregulated wireless broadband networks. Consumers and enterprises are utilizing these new networks with Windows Powered Pocket PC and Windows CE-based devices to work and communicate in entirely new ways.

According to the company, PocketGphone enables real-time, two way voice calling/chat as a complement to mobile data applications such as warehouse/inventory management. For consumers using Windows-powered Pocket PC and Windows CE-based devices in conjunction with 802.11 Hot Spots, the technology has been designed to enable real-time, two-way voice calling as well as on-line gaming applications.

Requiring a minimum bandwidth of 32 Kbit/sec bandwidth, the NAT/peer-to-peer compatible VoIP technology can either be deployed in a voice-only mode, or as an integrated add-on to existing mobile data applications. In addition, PocketGphone 2.0 can be deployed as a stand-alone client-to-client offering (i.e. open network p2p file sharing. - jack.), or with the company's Gphone Lobby Server, which adds user, address book and IP management capabilities.

"The small footprint, low latency, low bandwidth requirements, peer to peer architecture along with SIP and NAT compliance of PocketGphone 2.0 gives OEMs, VARs and Integrators a tremendous opportunity to add voice as a differentiator to their Windows Powered Pocket PC and Windows CE-based solutions using 802.11 wireless networks," said president and CEO Bingwei Yao in a statement.
http://www.e-insite.net/eb-mag/index...spacedesc=news
Old 26-10-02, 01:32 PM   #6
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

So not only will we put the ISP's out of business, we won't even need a telephone anymore.
Old 27-10-02, 05:54 AM   #7
[Dark]
1981 - 2003

its very easy to get free internet thru wardriving, just get a wireless network card for your box, and look up wardriving with google....it will take you longer to put the card in than it will before your link'd up to a wireless network and surf'n the net.....

how do i know this.....i did it to my buddies computer....downfall, you have to live in a highly populated area, with a business or college close by that has a wireless network.....

and i do know that this has nothing to do with those cell phone tower deal ya'll are talk'n bout....but how many mp3's can you hold on a pda????
[Dark] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-02, 06:59 AM   #8
zombywoof

The telephone isn't going anywhere.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-02, 09:46 AM   #9
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar
The telephone isn't going anywhere.
Not without a big, long extension cord anyway.
Old 27-10-02, 10:19 AM   #10
jaan

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkManX
how many mp3's can you hold on a pda????
in a few years, all of them.

- jaan
jaan is offline   Reply With Quote