P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 12-07-02, 12:59 PM   #1
mdnightmarauder

Unhappy Please explain wsx files and OpenNap for me

I tried using Snarkridden's OpenNap config file but have had no success in upping the number of servers. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place to ascertain server numbers. Any help would be great. Thanks.
mdnightmarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-02, 01:36 PM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Those .wsx files are just a list of open nap servers.

First click on the OpenNap Protocol Networks>Find .WSX>Import .WSX

You can dl a list of PUBLIC wsx files by clicking the search button. You'll get a large number of available PUBLIC .wsx files on the pnp network. Choose the files with the most number of users sharing it - those are the one's you want.

Download the files just as you would for any other mp3 file.

To actually use the list, click import and a screen will pop-up - you'll be able to select the PUBLIC .wsx list you just downloaded, click okay and the list of open nap servers will automatically become available for you to use.

If needed, you can always add additional servers as you go along.

I don't have winnie open at the moment.......if I've left out something, someone here will set you straight.

GR

Last edited by goldie : 12-07-02 at 01:46 PM.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-02, 04:31 PM   #3
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Re: Please explain wsx files and OpenNap for me

Quote:
Originally posted by mdnightmarauder
I tried using Snarkridden's OpenNap config file but have had no success in upping the number of servers. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place to ascertain server numbers. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Greetings and welcome to NU..

The file of which you talk was a very early method of getting users of the very new (at the time) WinMx 3.0 to list Opennap servers, prior to the inclusion in later version of MX, of the WSX facility.

The current version of WinMx 3.22 has a fairly easy to understand update feature, just go to the NETWORK page and select OpenNap, there are the WSX options, of find (import) and Export.

It is my experience that many of the WSX list you find will contain a load of out of date infomation, dead servers, wrong port numbers, closed servers, and just plain junk, so you need to get your list and try them for yourself, when you find reliable working servers, that don't kick you out, spam you with "join a room or else get kicked" messages, or are just plain fussy about your files, then that is time to create your own WSX files for others to use.

To create your own personal WSX file, highlight all the good connectable servers in your list, and click Export WSX, this file will be put into your share folder, for others to download.

remember the BEST server list is not always the LARGEST, sometimes the smaller 3-4k lists are hand tuned and more reliable.

Good luck... Snark..
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-02, 05:25 PM   #4
petriburg

The other alternative is to use NapMX (free from www.zeropaid.com). I've been using NapMX for many weeks now, and it's quite happy associating itself with Win3.22. Sure saves a lot of time and trouble. (btw, I'm quite surprised that few folks seem to be using NapMX - is there something to its detriment that I should know?).

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-02, 03:24 PM   #5
mdnightmarauder

Default Thx for the info

I found NapMX today and I'm getting some use out of that. This whole queing boredom is killing me. This is coming from someone used to Audiogalaxy. Thx Again.
mdnightmarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-02, 03:52 PM   #6
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Welcome aboard mdnightmarauder - enjoy your stay at Napsterites!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote