P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 20-06-02, 04:22 AM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default New Gnutella client has some nice features

Just testing Shareaza now. Hashes fast, connects quickly, searches come in a hurry too.

http://www.shareaza.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shareaza.jpg
Views:	1414
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1858  
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-02, 05:38 AM   #2
zombywoof

I tried Shareaza out too. I'd have to agree with napho on the quick connects and fast searches. It looks like I can use this one to replace gnucleus which no longer works on my pc.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-02, 02:09 PM   #3
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

This looks promising! to napho the resident beta tester.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-02, 06:20 PM   #4
goldie
yea, it's me.

Fruity WoW

This proggie is SwEeT (even for us 56kers)!

3 thumbs up!

Thanx Napho
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-02, 01:36 AM   #5
dead_frog
Oddball

Yummy!

I like the goofy way the homepage is written, none of that "... the greatest new Next Generation Peer To Peer transfer program allowing you to bla bla", but "No ads, no spyware, no guilting you to upgrade to a commercial version. We can't stand that kind of crap. "

dead_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-02, 08:25 AM   #6
goldie
yea, it's me.

Thumbs up Shareaza updating to version 1022

Nice mannerly program it is. Gentle update message at start-up, nothing forced upon the user or snuck in behind your back.

Forgot to mention it's a "minor" update. Improved hashing, etc. Nothing critical.

Old 23-06-02, 11:42 AM   #7
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

I tried it, and I'd rather stick with gnucleus.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-02, 04:21 PM   #8
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by ssj4_android
I tried it, and I'd rather stick with gnucleus.
You're gonna have to change your mind soon. This just keeps getting better and better.

Easier, faster user interface: Shareaza is now the only P2P software (to our knowledge) which can offer two different user interfaces so you can choose the one that's easiest for you. If you like the familiar "tab" layout with a page for Search, Library and Transfers, go with it. Or if you want separate windows like the original Shareaza had, you can use that mode instead. Shareaza suits everyone!

Full Browser and URI integration: Gnutella users have been talking about this for a long time, and Shareaza brings it to life. You can now place a link on a web page (or other document) which when clicked will launch or open Shareaza and automatically search for and download the selected content. It's that simple! Shareaza supports P2P standard "magnet:" URIs, along with network specific "gnutella://" URIs, and several more just in case.

For example, here are two links to the latest Shareaza. If you have it installed, you'll be able to click these:

magnet:?xt=urn:sha1:Y32Z6URUUYEY4AGRGGU5DDRCDQXXGVFW&dn=Shar eaza1201.exe

gnutella://sha1:Y32Z6URUUYEY4AGRGGU5DDRCDQXXGVFW/Shareaza1201.exe/

Shareaza shows a friendly "what do you want to do with this link" dialog, where you can choose to download the file directly, or just do a search for it. There's also a neat new facility for copying URLs for selected files in your library or search results, where you can choose the URI format you want and copy it by pointing and clicking. The direct download dialog is still there, too.

GWebCache support: Shareaza now supports the web-based distributed host discovery system, for faster and more reliable connections. This is part of the new integrated discovery services manager which advanced users can access through the Discovery Services window.

Countless suggestions implemented: Every suggestion for improving Shareaza is noted and considered. As a result, every new version contains a large number of small changes which are too numerous to list here, but each add to the power and performance of the application as a whole. Everything is fine tuned to match users' expectations.

Intelligent managed searches: Automatic network friendly researching and refinement produces more search results without "hammering". Leave a search window open indefinitely and the results stay fresh. Download source queries are intelligently managed.

More efficient library building: Shareaza now employs a more efficient library building mechanism when it calculates file hashes and acquires metadata from common file formats such as asf, exe, gif, jpg, mp3, mpg, wma, wmv, etc.

Smaller download: Shareaza is now only 360K, almost 3 times smaller than it was before so you can get it faster. The download is also shared by default, to help other users obtain Shareaza directly over the network.

http://www.shareaza.com/download
Old 02-07-02, 05:59 AM   #9
goldie
yea, it's me.

Fruity Damn, this IS GOOD!!

Quote:
Originally posted by napho

You're gonna have to change your mind soon. This just keeps getting better and better.

http://www.shareaza.com/download

I am SO in love with this program!!!!! 1.2.0.1 ROCKS!!

It's been a while since I've been this excited over a program.

..........if I were a man I'd be sporting a hard on

Old 02-07-02, 10:22 AM   #10
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Default Re: Damn, this IS GOOD!!

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenrod

..........if I were a man I'd be sporting a hard on in my BVD's

BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-02, 01:26 PM   #11
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Re: Re: Damn, this IS GOOD!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K
Old 03-07-02, 03:37 AM   #12
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Default Re: Re: Re: Damn, this IS GOOD!!

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenrod

Now now Gr, Behave yourself?

Is it me or is this a feature of the "Gnut" network...

Every search comes up with results YES, but also attached to the search Artists name are little VBS & HTML files which seem to try to direct you to "Adult" sites....

I presume this is just another case of advertising grief?

Whay afterall should P2P be ignored by them as a vehicle for their rubbish..

Snark...
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-02, 03:47 PM   #13
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's
Screwy

got so p1ssed off at how my FastTrack speeds have slowed down lately that I gave this Shareaza a try (my first dip in the Gnutella pool).

After almost two days online, not a byte of the file I wanted had been received, and only 3 uploads occurred.

(I did the 'Madonna' test in case I wasn't connected properly, but that turned up plenty of results and a fast-ish download. So I guess it's just my beloved sci-fi eps Gnutella/Shareaza has a problem with.)

Gave up on it and finally learnt how to get files from IRC. altho i might give it another try soon.

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
Director of Enforcement
MediaForce, Inc.
(212) 925-9997
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 04:31 AM   #14
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default More improvements

Powerful bandwidth shaping / throttling capabilities give you absolute control over how your Internet connection is used. Restrict bandwidth use per connection, with individual controls for each connection type and upstream/downstream traffic. And these actually work, too. Plus you can see it all graphically in real-time using Shareaza’s fully configurable performance and bandwidth graphing system. This is possibly the most advanced bandwidth control mechanism available in P2P software today (so it fits well next to Shareaza’s most advanced IP security system).

Brand new host browsing feature allows you to see the shared files available on a particular Gnutella host, and download the ones you want. All from within Shareaza’s comprehensive search interface, so you can filter and sort files to find what you’re looking for faster. Just right-click any connected host or search result and choose Browse Host.

Shareaza supports host browsing through the new host browsing specification, which has not yet been added by all other Gnutella software. But that’s okay, because Shareaza also supports browsing older BearShare nodes through an automatic translation system. Files are all displayed in Shareaza’s unified results interface, so you can take advantage of both systems today. Finally, if you don’t want other host browse-enabled users to be able to list your shared files, simply turn it off in Sharing options!

Support for OGG Vorbis files (.ogg): This new (and open) audio format is fast becoming an alternative to mp3s and the closed Media Player formats. Shareaza now fully supports .ogg files, recognises them as audio and extracts information such as title/ artist/album as well as length calculation and nominal bitrate / quality. Another first! We’re also supporting Monkey’s Audio APE files, which is another new free format. Shareaza supports and decodes the widest variety of file formats in the P2P world, resulting in richer searches and more power. (This version also has improved support for variable bitrate / VBR mp3 files, with accurate length calculation, average bitrates and variable marking).

Bandwidth Boost command for downloads lets you selectively remove the bandwidth limits for specific files. Great for prioritising downloads that you want ASAP ahead of those that can wait. A new Show All Sources mode for downloads displays download sources/locations that are not currently being used, as well as active transfers. You have full control over the source list, and can individually add / remove / access / disconnect / browse each source. Or, turn “show all sources” off and let Shareaza do it all for you!

Search window upgrade including automatic sorting, and much improved file grouping. Files which can be downloaded from more than once source now show all the relevant information without having to look at each source individually. You can see a summary of the rating (availability) icons, an average of the individual host speeds, and a superset of all metadata available on that file from every host, eg bitrate/time/title/etc.

Download integrity verification ensures the files you download are what you think they are, and are free from corruption. The finished file is verified against the SHA1 Shareaza was expecting, and the results displayed in the downloads window. Potentially unsafe files are also marked red in the library, and an extra warning message is displayed before opening them.

Generate magnet: and gnutella: links in bulk easily with a new library management feature. You can easily export custom lists of file links in magnet or gnutella protocol format, complete with optional HTML formatting.

Improved support for GWebCache discovery services, including the ability to advertise new services and browse cache statistics on the web. And all new GGEP support, to handle the next generation of Gnutella extensions and improvements. We’re already supporting hashing/HUGE encapsulated in GGEP, and browse host availability status with more to come.

There are also countless other enhancements which have been suggested by Shareaza users. If you’ve got an idea you’d like to see, send it our way and we’ll give it full consideration. No ideas go unheard, and in fact not too many go unimplemented either!

http://www.shareaza.com/download/