P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 15-06-02, 12:54 AM   #1
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows WinMx 3.2 here, or is it?

This morning I got the flyer saying 3.2 is here, well these Canadians may be good at hockey, but they sure as hell are too quick for me, and all the mirrors.... All showing the old 3.1 still

But, there is hope as just now two of the mirrors went offline, am I about to get 3.2? I wonder...

Snark... (Hey its quiet on WNP just now)
Attached Images

Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-02, 07:50 AM   #2
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Hrm...Is it working now? It worked fine for me when I downloaded it and made my topic.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-02, 10:09 AM   #3
murasame

winmx 3.2 is here alright, but it has very few users on it... users on 3.1/2.6, if i'm correct, are not accessible to 3.2 users.

deleted it within 5 minutes of usage and switched back to 2.6 =P
murasame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-02, 11:27 AM   #4
pod
Bumbling idiot

Well, I noticed this morning barely anyone was downloading from me, so I checked the download site and 3.2 was out. Installed and have 10 downloads within seconds. I'd say there are people on 3.2 now
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-02, 10:05 PM   #5
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

There are definitly people on 3.2. Since I'm on a 56k I rarely get any uploads on 2.6 but since I installed 3.2 I've had a lot of uploads, and I've noticed a serious bug. For some reason it looks like I'm uploading at T1 speeds from my side of the transfer. The K/s reading is accurate but the status bar reaches 100% within minutes and the transfer completes when in fact only a few hundred KB have been sent. Since I've been typing this post WinMX tells me that I've uploaded more than 5 MB of music but my dial up connection says that I've sent less than 1 MB since I logged on. It would seem that the incomplete, un-resumable transfer bug is an upload problem, not a download problem. I feel sorry that I'm uploading all these incomplete files.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-02, 11:29 PM   #6
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazer
For some reason it looks like I'm uploading at T1 speeds from my side of the transfer. The K/s reading is accurate but the status bar reaches 100% within minutes and the transfer completes when in fact only a few hundred KB have been sent. Since I've been typing this post WinMX tells me that I've uploaded more than 5 MB of music but my dial up connection says that I've sent less than 1 MB since I logged on.
Is this really a bug or is it simply what uploaders see when they're part of a multi-point download?
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-02, 02:36 AM   #7
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Default Mouti-sourcing?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazer

Is this really a bug or is it simply what uploaders see when they're part of a multi-point download?
That is a possibility, as in the old Morpheus and laterly Kazaa days you find uploaders takings stop & start somewhat randomly, like you I take that to be the multi-sourcing working.

It certainly works well from the download point of view, 6 users with the same file, most with long queues, contribute little if any at all to the download, but as soon as one becomes available it gets included in the source, and things really fly.

I have NOT noticed the reported speed differences in version 3.2, they certainly were an issue in an early version 3 beta.

There are discrepancies that have been notifed to WinMx beta test team, that as yet have not been explained or cured.

The uploader file sizes reported are always 6 bytes more that the REAL file size, maybe this is a special added tag (hash) that is discarded on receipt, as all downloaded files report identical sizes when complete.

This problem is on the OPenNap servers, which for continuity between 2.6 and 3.0 I maintain, as the only way to interface old MX users with New.

I would agree with the comment made about few users, but again like the previous commenter, once 3.2 was fired up and connected, a flood of uploaders appeared, all anxious, no doubt to try out their NEW toy..

Sadly a flawed toy, STILL: PLAY (right click on up/down screen file) still does not work, you have to use OPEN, reported way back early in the beta 3.0 series, still not corrected.

Another serious fault (though it could be with the uploader?) continued attempts at uploading the same file, reported complete but vastly larger than REAL size by a power of 10 i.e 87,000,000 reported for 8,000,000 which I presume causes the uploaders client (usually Mx 2.6) to think the file is incomplete so it retrys again and again, until you kill the connection or unshare the file to stop it.

Anyone else noticed this, if so did you report it to WinMx ?

More anon no doubt, Yes I finally got a real 3.2 nearly 10 hours after it was announced...

Snark...
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-02, 05:36 AM   #8
daddydirt
even the losers

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkridden
Sadly a flawed toy, STILL: PLAY (right click on up/down screen file) still does not work, you have to use OPEN, reported way back early in the beta 3.0 series, still not corrected.
Snark...
....rt click play works fine for me Snark.....i use Winamp 2.75
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-02, 03:41 PM   #9
goldie
yea, it's me.

Cry grrrrrrrr..................

3.2 messenging is confusing and doesn't seem to work very well.
Hotlisting an opennap user (like 3.1) still doesn't seem quite "right" either.

Couldn't even hold a decent coversation with Snarkie because of this flakiness.

Didn't seem to have this problem with 3.2's PNP just when the opennap servers are involved.

Anyone else?

Thanks again Snark, transfer went A-okay!
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-02, 07:27 AM   #10
goldie
yea, it's me.

What I'm noticing is I cannot manually add a user to my hotlist, using the Hotlist's "Add User" option and expected it to work properly. Users added manually are always listed as Offline and messages are stuck in Sending mode.

The only way to add a user to my hostlist is if I add the user using right click "Add to Hotlist" while on the search screen.

Edited to add: Hotlisting issues pertain to OpenNap Servers.

Like in 3.1, I'm finding that if my dial-up ISP disconnects (which it will every 6 hours) AND after I reconnect again, I receive the following error just before Winmx 3.2 crashes:
Quote:
WinMx has caused an error in WS2_32.dll. WinMX will now close.

Followed by: If you continue to have this problem try restarting your computer.
Afterwhich Winmx proceeds to shut itself down.

The only way I can avoid the crash is to pay very close attention to my time online and just before I reach the 6 hour mark, manually disconnect from the PNP network, reconnect to my ISP THEN reconnect to WPNP.

I've also noticed that while using 3.2, I'm seeing many users using 3.1 when I click on a user and "Whois" them. Perhaps this is a bug or on the more optimistic side, the two networks are actually connected. Anyone else notice this yet?

This all for now..........

Old 17-06-02, 10:21 AM   #11
pod
Bumbling idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenrod
I've also noticed that while using 3.2, I'm seeing many users using 3.1 when I click on a user and "Whois" them. Perhaps this is a bug or on the more optimistic side, the two networks are actually connected. Anyone else notice this yet?
You must be using a different winmx than I am, because I don't see any client version in the whois screen. Unless you mean when you're on an opennap server, but then that has nothing to do with WPNP.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-02, 11:24 AM   #12
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default yes pod.

Quote:
Originally posted by pod

You must be using a different winmx than I am, because I don't see any client version in the whois screen. Unless you mean when you're on an opennap server, but then that has nothing to do with WPNP.

You're probably right.