P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 14-06-02, 10:20 PM   #1
murasame

Default problems with winmx

after installing windows 2000, i have this new problem.
say I downloading a file from 15 different people, as winmx allowes multi-source downloading, but after i downloaded the file to a certain percentage, everyone starts disconnecting at the same time. when I click on every 15 of them to retry, about 7 of them will disconnect again, and the remaining 8 will also disconnect, but with the message "file mismatch"
it is quite annoying as many of my files are disconnected by the time i reach 80-odd percent.
anyone knows what the problem is? any help would be appreciated, thanks.
murasame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-02, 05:07 AM   #2
daddydirt
even the losers

sorry i don't know about your "file mismatch" problem, but are you following tg's procedure for downloading ? works perfectly for me every time...
Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

If you have several alternatives for a download, pick a rip with a good number of available copies to have better chances for multisourcing.

When a transfer has started, right-click it in the Transfers window and apply Auto-Complete. This will add also the queuable sources to your source pool; some of them will start later on and speed up your download.

From the same right-click popup menu you find the excellent Retry/Find Sources function. Apply it as often as you bother. The situation in the network keeps changing all the time and with a bit of luck you may catch a fresh, unqueued fast source to boost your download speed.

It's a pity there is no option to search for new sources automatically e.g. every half an hour - that together with the auto-complete feature would make movie downloads very easy.

- tg
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-02, 07:53 AM   #3
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

That's strange. Mayve you were downloading from someone with an incomplete file? WinMX shares partial files still downloading, so a lot of the sources are incomplete.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-02, 08:12 AM   #4
murasame

thanks all for the advice, I still get the same problem nowadays.. it's not only one person but all of them get disconnected at the same time esp when the files reach 99% =P

but now I've reinstalled winmx 2.6 seems that w/o the multi-source downloading it works fine now =)

i've tried winmx 3.2 and realise that it ssems to be a diff server meaning users using winmx 3.1 cannot share files with those using 3.2, that suck, so don't download it ferst.. also i suspect winmx alters the system files, not sure but it may be the reason why my comp freezes randomly
Old 15-06-02, 08:52 AM   #5
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by murasame
thanks all for the advice, I still get the same problem nowadays.. it's not only one person but all of them get disconnected at the same time esp when the files reach 99% =P

but now I've reinstalled winmx 2.6 seems that w/o the multi-source downloading it works fine now =)
Hi murasame and welcome aboard!

Many people, me included, have encountered the 99 % bug in WinMX 3.1. The file downloads ok to 99 % but all efforts to resume it even from the original source fail. This can be really annoying especially if you are downloading a big zipped file or a movie. The only cure I found was to switch back to 2.6.

I haven't tested 3.2 yet to see if the bug still exists there.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-02, 10:06 AM   #6
murasame

thanks for letting me know about this, glad to know that it isn't the problem of my computer. =)

version 3.2 still has the same problem though, and worse still it has much less results from version 3.1, i suspect those using 3.1 and 3.2 are at different servers which explains the low result count.
so ppl don't download version 3.2, yet! stick to 3.1 or 2.6 =)
Old 16-06-02, 02:49 AM   #7
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Similar manefestations?

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

Hi murasame and welcome aboard!

Many people, me included, have encountered the 99 % bug in WinMX 3.1. The file downloads ok to 99 % but all efforts to resume it even from the original source fail. This can be really annoying especially if you are downloading a big zipped file or a movie. The only cure I found was to switch back to 2.6.

I haven't tested 3.2 yet to see if the bug still exists there.

- tg
could this be the same problem mentioned in my previous post to the winMx 3.2 topic? that of the wrongly reported file size on the upload screen? causing repeats of the same file.

I must say I have never seen the 99% complete problem myself though.

Regarding your Win2000 problems, did you upgrade your memory when you loaded 2000? my friend tried to install it with 64 meg that worked fine with 98, but all hell let lose on 2000 until he added another 64meg?

Snark..

P.S check the VCACHE line in SYSTEM.INI sometimes adding a pair of statements min_cache=4096 max_cache=32768 seems to work, please check the precice command terms I'm going from memory.

Edit: Found it MinFileCache=4096
MaxFileCache=32768

Set the upper limit at one quarter of your max memory size, entries shown are for a 128 meg system

add these in the [vcache] section of system.ini

Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-02, 10:12 AM   #8
murasame

Tongue 5

hmm, i've checked my system.ini.. couldnt find a [vcache] section in it..

i'll wait until further updates are available before i download it.. right now i'll stick to v2.6 =)
Old 16-06-02, 04:49 PM   #9
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I've seen the 99% bug too. Last night some guy downloaded a song from me and then at 99% it said Connection Closed, and he kept trying to finish the file, at one point appearing in my queue twice. An inordinate ammount of the incomplete files that appear in every search say 99% as well. Reminds me of Napster Beta 4.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-02, 03:08 AM   #10
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Never answered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazer
I've seen the 99% bug too. Last night some guy downloaded a song from me and then at 99% it said Connection Closed, and he kept trying to finish the file, at one point appearing in my queue twice. An inordinate ammount of the incomplete files that appear in every search say 99% as well. Reminds me of Napster Beta 4.
Wht has been noticed and commented on to winMx is the odd behavior on the upload screen, tha of file sizes being always 7 or 8 bytes more uploaded than the actual reported file size, not if this means the "OF" is too small and the actual is the correct size or something else is screwed, but the mysterious incomplete repeat and repeat does seem to happen when these two sizes DO NOT differ by 7 or 8 bytes...

It's OK I didn't understand what I wrote either, If you are running any of the WinMx 3 versions, check out your upload completes, turn of the auto-clear so you get a good list of completed files, check out the file sizes, and tell me if Im wrong or just going MAD.... Please!

Examples from here (last 3 only) 166 of 159 745 of 737 843 of 835... this seems to be a common factor, winMx have said NOTHING in three or four reports throughout the whole of the 31 beta series.

I know that does NOT answer the problem, but it defines it beter (maybe)

Snark...
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote