P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 06-06-02, 09:08 AM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

snore Millions of KaZaa users share their private info...duh

No kidding. We didn't need a study to know that.

"We have just finished a study that shows how user interface design flaws allow users on Kazaa to share their personal files without their knowledge. In a laboratory user study, only 2 out of 12 subjects were able to correctly determine that Kazaa was sharing their entire hard drive. We looked at the current Kazaa network and discovered that many users are sharing personal information such as email and data for financial programs such as Microsoft Money. To see if other users on Kazaa were aware of this and taking advantage of users ignorance, we ran a Kazaa client for 24 hours with dummy personal files. During this time, files named "Inbox.dbx" and "Credit Cards.xls" were downloaded from our client by several unique users.

This is pdf http://www.hpl.hp.com/shl/papers/kaz...aUsability.pdf
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-02, 09:38 AM   #2
JackSpratts

nothing new to members of napsterites. but seriously, pcs are so complicated that many of those files can't be found by users on thier own machines to begin with, so maybe kazaa is providing a much needed service after all. i can see the ims' now - "yo dude, i forgot my credit card password - can you find it for me while you're downloading my 'attack of the clones'? thanks."

-js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-02, 11:18 AM   #3
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
nothing new to members of napsterites. but seriously, pcs are so complicated that many of those files can't be found by users on thier own machines to begin with, so maybe kazaa is providing a much needed service after all. i can see the ims' now - "yo dude, i forgot my credit card password - can you find it for me while you're downloading my 'attack of the clones'? thanks."

-js.
lol
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-02, 12:31 PM   #4
Mowzer
'

Download a few .dbx files from Kazaa.

Its quite neat to see. Doing a search for inbox.dbx or outbox.dbx will give you more then a few results.

Only click the ones that are the biggest in file size, as they are more likely to hold more emails.

Then snap it into your outlook express and its just like your looking at the persons email box.

Again, I blame this error on KaZaA. For that they should be castrated. Just because people are dumb doesnt mean companies cant take the time to secure products them selves.

.dbx is one file type among others that should be filtered from KaZaA from the start. When some one points out a weak spot, the company needs to make a fix.

KaZaA it seems is concentrating on coding more spyware and adware. Not patches.
The lax stance is not funny anymore on sharmans part.

When microsoft does this, ppl are all over them. The most intresting inbox, was a RCMP officers. Investigation reports and all.

Last edited by Mowzer : 14-06-02 at 01:19 PM.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote