P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 30-05-02, 06:26 PM   #1
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Default KaZaA 1p71 available now

if you want it get it from the official download site www.kazaa.com

my advice to you is don't get it.

This is the official end of KaZaA...i predict its death today as
a result of its actions its going down just like has been reported by ethen in another thread, "like a two-dollah ho"

Last edited by butterfly_kisses : 30-05-02 at 07:09 PM.
butterfly_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-02, 06:34 PM   #2
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by Harbynger
my advice to you is don't get it.
agreed.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-02, 07:10 PM   #3
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Attached Images
File Type: gif altnethasarrived1.gif (25.1 KB, 1351 views)
Old 31-05-02, 01:04 AM   #4
Merijn

Believe it or not, I'm going to download it and track the install with InCtrl5. Just out of curiosity.
Merijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-02, 08:55 AM   #5
Mowzer
'

I downloaded it and it rocks.

For anyone reading this and looking for a solid, p2p app that totally kicks, go with KaZaA.

http://www.kazaa.com

100 million other downloadres can't be wrong.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-02, 12:34 PM   #6
Merijn

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethen
100 million other downloadres can't be wrong.
Uh huh. Just like the other millions of people that said the 21st century started January 1, 2000.

Anyway, can you post the version changes? I couldn't find them on the kazaa.com site. It should be in a textfile in the Kazaa folder.
Old 31-05-02, 03:38 PM   #7
jaan

Quote:
Originally posted by Merijn
Anyway, can you post the version changes?
compared to 1.7, not much has changed. however, the changes include increased maximum for search results (now officially 200), and code that attempts to reduce the amount of spam on the network (benjamin files, files from people who have shared out their entire HD, etc.). this also means that the average number of files per user should drop from current 200 to around 130..150 shortly -- further improving searches.

also, re the altnet (which, mind you, is completely different thing than BDE installer/projector): i'm sure i would sound cheesy if i told you that it really does not deserve the terrible publicity it has received. but really: all altnet does is a) fetch a file list from altnet server, and b) based on that list, insert "paid results" into search results list (not unlike paid keywords on google). that said, after the BDE fiasco, i don't blame anyone for being suspicious -- just having programmed a considerble chunk of altnet code, i find it unfortunate that the system is being dragged down by (business) ties to BDE.

- jaan
jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-02, 03:44 PM   #8
Mowzer
'

I thought you were a programmer for KaZaA.

They got you working as a PR guy too now?
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-02, 04:30 PM   #9
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Quote:

orignially posted by eathen:

I thought you were a programmer for KaZaA.

They got you working as a PR guy too now?
why not? heck they had you doing free customer support

remember XKU-er?

hehe

lol

and thanks jaan i am inclined to believe what you say concerning the altnet as you work with it and know what you are talking about unlike others (myself included)

Cheers, jaan

Old 01-06-02, 06:16 AM   #10
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Screwy

Quote:
also, re the altnet (which, mind you, is completely different thing than BDE installer/projector): i'm sure i would sound cheesy if i told you that it really does not deserve the terrible publicity it has received. but really: all altnet does is a) fetch a file list from altnet server, and b) based on that list, insert "paid results" into search results list (not unlike paid keywords on google). that said, after the BDE fiasco, i don't blame anyone for being suspicious -- just having programmed a considerble chunk of altnet code, i find it unfortunate that the system is being dragged down by (business) ties to BDE.

- jaan
okay i think i have a legitamit question for you here, jaan.

I am using version 1.70 of kazaa without bde and with a dummy

cd_clint.dll and i am noticing irregular port calls by kazaa to

about 20 to 30 different ip address. One port is port 0...some are

in the 3000 range and one of them tried to get my Netbios name.

Now since i don't have cydoor installed i know its not trying

to download advertisements and since i don't have bde installed

it in theory shouldn't be trying to download that file list from

the altnet server and anyway the altnet server is clearly identified

heck its gone by numerous names in the past like www.kazaa.com

desktop.kazaa.com forum.kazaa.com alpha.kazaa.com, etcetera

but these ip's are all different and are not associated in anyway

with the ip address listed above in the picture from the Atguard

3.22 firewall warning.

so what does kazaa (the executable its self) try to connect

to so many non-standard ip addresses using so many different

ports. if you want a list of the ip addresses and port numbers

i can provide those to you.
Old 01-06-02, 07:06 AM   #11
Merijn

Isn't this just Kazaa trying to connect to users behind a firewall (and thus using a non-1214 port)? I always assumed it was that, since the IPs resolve mostly to private cable IPs, not www.com addresses.
Old 01-06-02, 08:39 AM   #12
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Quote:
Isn't this just Kazaa trying to connect to users behind a firewall (and thus using a non-1214 port)? I always assumed it was that, since the IPs resolve mostly to private cable IPs, not www.com addresses.
merijn, this might be all it is...however i would like to hear jaan's thoughts on this.

here is another thing to try...while you are connected to kazaa either with or without downloading of having anything paused (like an incomplete download)

connect to the internet (without doing a search or downloading)
now disconnect from the internet (if you are on cable or dsl i'm not sure how you'd do this maybe unplug the rj-45 from your NiC?) anyways i use dial-up networking so all i have to do is click disconnect then i start get a rash (two or three) irregular port calls by kazaa.

happens almost everytime i do this until i block the approximate 3 to 6 ip's that it tries to connect to.

I've notice similiarities with these exact same ip's showing up in older versions (1.51 and up)

it might be interesting for other users to post the ip's that are connected or that are attempted to connect to by kazaa when you disconnect from the internet in the manner above just to see if its standard among all users and not just some anomally i am experiencing myself.

If anyone notices or has other ip addresses and or irregular port calls please post them to this thread,,,,maybe we can look for similiarities and find our wheher or not there is something "sneaky" going on here or not.
Old 03-06-02, 11:23 AM   #13
jaan

harb,

i'm not sure i can help you there -- i haven't programmed the actual "down to the metal" bits of fasttrack stack. a couple of things you might try though to narrow the source: 1. do the connection attempts persist if you do file->disconnect first, 2. do they persist if you cancel all your pending downloads and uploads, and 3. are they actual TCP connection attempts or just UDP packets being sent?

- jaan
jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-02, 02:27 PM   #14
butterfly_kisses
Napsterite

Quote:
Originally posted by jaan
harb,

i'm not sure i can help you there -- i haven't programmed the actual "down to the metal" bits of fasttrack stack. a couple of things you might try though to narrow the source: 1. do the connection attempts persist if you do file->disconnect first, 2. do they persist if you cancel all your pending downloads and uploads, and 3. are they actual TCP connection attempts or just UDP packets being sent?

- jaan
thats some interesting things i should look for...frankly i'm losing interest in the whole kazaa thing altogether...i've been quite disheartened here lately by all the flaming and or spamming going on in hyperspace and the other forums....so i don't know
if i will ever be able to rekindle enough interest to do any more proper research...although before losing interest i had

plans for another grand tutorial called the rosetta stone in which i show other programmers how to decipher some of the encryption used by kazaa...i hope that my desire for this returns but if it doesn't it was nice speaking to you and i wish you and all the others well in here.

Sincerely,

-Harby