P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 27-05-02, 12:04 AM   #1
smokey227
Napsterite

Default Grokster & KazaaLite not working - HELP!

Using AG now & with long weekend decided I would finally install either Grokster or KaZaa. Good thing I waited until a holiday because I have now spent the whole day with bad results.

First I decided to go with Grokster due to positive feedback here & seems there’s something always new to overcome with KaZaa. Installed several x’s (which I’ll explain the different ways in a minute) with the same result each time. It does one search very fast and then all further searches yield absolutely NO results. I exit and come back & can get ONLY one good search. When I first check out a P2P, I use “Microsoft” for Software & for Audio - Celine Dion, NSync, Beatles, Elvis Presley because those always yield lots of results. (I know that’s a weird combination but just looking for results.) Even when I went back to repeat the first search I did, the 2nd time I got no results. Each time I would exit and come back, I got major results on each one of those on the FIRST search only.

Here’s how I Installed:

1st installed using the most recent biggrokstersetup.exe which indicates is version 1.5.1. I used instructions from http://www.project-insomnia.com/grokster.html & used Jack’s instructions also as a guideline (http://www.napsterites.net/undergrou...&threadid=9550). Since biggrokstersetup.exe is 1.5.1, adjusted & didn’t to 1.5 & then 1.5.1 but otherwise followed to the letter. Each time I uninstalled & used grokster_regclean.exe to totally clean it out from registry. I tried this method a 3 x’s (thought I was doing something wrong).

So next I tried installing & simply using Grokster Rebound 1.5.1. Same results in searches – would work fast once. I also must add that when I used Morpheus (which I totally cleaned out also with morpheus_regclean), I always had uploads which has not happened once in this all day endeavor. (Getting smarter & only did this install twice.)

Last install I used Grokster Lite with exactly the same search results. (Got really smart by now & only installed once)

So I thought I’d simply give up & go the KaZaa. I installed KaZaaLite 1.6.1. Got almost the same results except I could sometimes do 2 searches instead of 1 before searches yielded no results.

Using Windows 98 with cable connection. Since I use my computer primarily for work when I get home, almost all my applications are business related so I don’t have a lot of applications downloaded that could be interfering. My one luxury is P2P (which now I only have Audiogalaxy) so I can DL MP3’s. I installed AdShield yesterday for my popups; but since I saw this recommended either on this site on KaZaaLite where someone had KaZaa, that shouldn’t be the problem. Don’t have Grokster & KaZaa installed at same time. I have not deleted KaZaa yet.

HELP!!!!! I now have 50% more gray hairs from my experience today & actually went running with my dog to relieve the frustration. Can you imagine that – so bad that I actually exercised? That’s getting bad!
smokey227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-02, 12:29 AM   #2
JackSpratts

hey smokey,

i'm on my way out but try this for a second; do a connect/disconnect first (under file). see if there's improvement. if not, turn off your firewall (totally - just shut it down) and do your searches. most fasttrack issues are connection/firewall related. it may very well be something else but it's the first place to start. remember too you're using supernodes now and they can be very strange (this system could not be more different than ag). also, a better default search for audio is beatles - if no results then something is seriously amiss.
anyway, people will be checking in with more advice during the day i'm sure. hang tight and quit running. help's on its' way.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-02, 12:39 AM   #3
smokey227
Napsterite

Before you go, I do not have a firewall.
Old 27-05-02, 12:43 AM   #4
smokey227
Napsterite

Oops, hit post too quick. Have already done connect/disconnect from File several times. Have rebooted several times. And Beatles is always the first that I check with Elvis Presley next because as you say, you always get a hit. With all installs, get fast, full results 1st search & then "No Search Results" after each following until I Disconnect & Reconnect. Didn't have this problem with Morpheus.
Old 27-05-02, 07:31 PM   #5
JackSpratts

outside of some unforseen conflict w/one of your many installed business apps, i don't see anything you've done wrong in your installs. early versions (pre-may 2001) of morpheus did have problems with one-off searching but that'd been resolved for a year. i can't speak for sure about the versions you installed as i always run the "factory versions" and then clean them out by hand, but people do use the lite versions by the thousands with rave reviews.

it sounds like you're dropping the node after every search, which you then pick back up at reconnect but i'm really guessing here. jaan might know this one maybe, maybe not. i'll tell you what i'd do if i had the time; i'd uninstall everthing fasttrack (again - i know, i know). then i'd put in grokster from the grokster.com site. using my instructions and the updated 5.81+ version of ad-aware i'd install, clean and run it. i put one in a few weeks ago and it works fine (haven't done one more recently tho). there may be a new bit of spyware in there that doesn't like getting yanked but i haven't heard of it.

- js.
Old 27-05-02, 09:25 PM   #6
smokey227
Napsterite

First time I put in the most recent version of Grokster which I got off the grokster.com site and I have the latest version of AdAware & latest reflist (checked on that Saturday before I started all this) & I followed your instructions per your recommendation of about 6 weeks ago where you said might be better to clean myself. That's what I did 3 times before I went to Rebound and the Lite version. The bus. apps I have are primarily the ones that have been around forever such as MS Office. I have Norton 2002 which scanned Saturday night before I tried these installs.

Thanks anyway for the help. Glad to see this isn't just be being stupid & not installing correctly. I posted this problem on Kazaalite this morning since I hadn't heard anything here yet & basically got the same response. Scratching of head from admin. & said he'd think about it more but no one else responded. So must not be something obvious.

The only thing I could possibly think of was a week ago I did the latest Windows Update which was just some Security things that they always have. Could anything like that be blocking?

I'll see if I can locate a computer tech & have him look at my computer & ask around. Computer only few months old & have cable hookup, so I think I can pretty well rule out hardware. Maybe there was something loaded on this from the factory that's causing this problem that for some reason Morpheus wasn't as critical about. Since I'm not an expert, I don't know what I should be looking for.

If I get this resolved, I'll let you know in case anyone else ever encounters this.
Old 27-05-02, 10:08 PM   #7
JackSpratts

the thing that comes to mind is the constant complaint heard back in winter/spring '01 on the grokster boards – the "no results in searches" - in which users got literally, no results at all. this led to the grokster update known as 1.5.1 (mar) and built specifically to address bad search issues (via connections) for certain users. but even still it didn’t fix it for everyone.

this doesn't move you forward necessarily but it lets you know there's a history of search dysfunction of the type you're experiencing that's never been satisfactorily resolved. even up thru today. listen, with your experience in program set-ups you’re the last person i’d expect who couldn’t install a simple (or even complex) application. don’t worry smokey, it’s not you. i just wish i knew an easy answer that would made it work. but if i did it'd be major news. there's a lot of people still experiencing this today.

- js.
Old 28-05-02, 12:06 AM   #8
smokey227
Napsterite

thanks anyway. Thanks also for the extra bit of info. when I have someone look at my computer, that just might help them. It just seems to me that it's got to be some way that this computer was originally configured since this the first time I've ever had such a problem. (This is when I wish I was a computer guru or guru-in-training would do.)

I would just give up since I really do like Audiogalaxy (can generally find what I'm looking for at the higher bitrates & often times I find songs before their actual release dates) & always used Morpheus as a backup. BUT now it's become a challenge and I really like FastTrack. I think it's going to be around for a while so I will trudge on.

Again thanks.
Old 28-05-02, 10:22 AM   #9
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

Hi smokey,

It's possible that your ISP or admin is port-blocking Grok/Kaz, quite a common activity since these apps became so popular. I think the other Smokey (smokestoomuch) had this problem when his university admin started blocking port 1214 to combat bandwidth-hogging by these filesharing apps.

Some people use 'http tunnelling' to get thru this kind of block, tho I've never had to try it myself. Here's one link re that: http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html

(And altho you personally may not have a firewall, if you're accessing via cable modem or LAN, a firewall might be being run by the admin of those.)

Also, I use MorpheusX with Grokster to help with downloads and searches: its automated "Find More Sources" function helps get you connected to more supernodes for better results.
(MorfX is built into latest KazaaLite but it's renamed as "KazaaLite Plus")

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
Director of Enforcement
MediaForce, Inc.
(212) 925-9997
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-02, 03:20 PM   #10
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Try hacked Imesh. Although it probebly wouldn't work since the other fasttrack clients don't.
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-02, 05:03 PM   #11
smokey227
Napsterite

My cable ISP provider is Road Runner which is through Time Warner Cable. Anyone know of any trouble with them blocking?

I quickly looked at the link Twinspan & will try it out later tonight. Need to get some work done first.

A computer tech at work said he "heard" that some ISP's are set up to be somehow pinged when the first search goes through & that's when a block go into affect & results in no more searches until you disconnect. Does that make sense to anyone out there?

Logically that sounds good until I think of the fact that why isn't there at least one upload before I even do a search. Yesterday I had re-connected but done no searches yet. Then I got a call & forgot I was connected & went back couple hours later. No uploads & I always have at least one from my oldies list.
Old 28-05-02, 05:06 PM   #12
smokey227
Napsterite

By the way, are there any other forums you would recommend that I could post the problem for possible help? Tried KazaaLite but no response yet. It seems someone out there has to have encountered this problem besides me.
Old 28-05-02, 05:35 PM   #13
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by smokey227
By the way, are there any other forums you would recommend that I could post the problem for possible help? Tried KazaaLite but no response yet. It seems someone out there has to have encountered this problem besides me.

There are rumours that RoadRunner in Texas is blocking ports.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...ip,9~mode=flat
napho is offline   Reply With Quote