P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 08-03-02, 09:05 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Thumbs down Bearshare screws Xolox

Vinnie at Bearshare has eliminated the 0.4 handshake which means Xolox won't be able to connect to Bearshare users. Probably the beginning of the end for the best Gnutella program. However some guys want to keep it alive and will attempt to fool other clients into letting Xolox connect. It aint over 'til it's over.

BearShare 2.5.0 Beta 8
-----------------------------------------

- Removed StatPing, StatPong message support from the core

- Removed support for 0.4 handshaking

- Timestamped alternate locations in download mesh.

- File size limit field is now always visible on Search page.

- improvements to download logic
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 10:05 PM   #2
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

Eek! fukin vinnie...

...fukin vinnie....( the mouthpiece of Bearshare) - an inferior competitor...FOR DECIDING TO DO THIS.

Xolox is still the fastest no-nonsense Gneutella network program out there. ...'vinnie the chicken-sh*t'... idiot decided if you can't beat them - delete them...which he did.

I promise to boycott Bearshare for this reason and the fact that it has 'spyware'

BOYCOTT BEARSHARE
Old 08-03-02, 10:24 PM   #3
assorted
WAH!

I agree to boycott Bearshare.

Oh, wait, I uninstalled that piece of shit once XoloX and gnucleus became decent.

Oh well; still, color me boycotted.
Old 08-03-02, 11:23 PM   #4
JackSpratts

vin's a piece of work all right. he's been threatening this for a while, but he'll regret it. the glue that holds gnutella together is the common standard. when one client breaks ranks and goes its' own way others may do so too, leading to the marginalisation of the network and taking bearshare down with it.

so what's good for bearshare now will in time become its' liability. vinnie's made it clear that bearshare, and by extension, gnutella, is a business - his business, and no-one's going to stop him from adding spyware and who knows what kind of junk if it lines his pockets, and whatever lines his pockets is by definition good as far as he's concerned. i think it's really frosting him that xolox, this little unsupported orphaned app is more highly thought of, and more effective, than his own little monster. it just defeats his unsupportable, orphaned arguments that only by his profits will the p2p community improve. the people doing it for fun and for cause and for free must therefore be stifled at every opportunity, especially if they're doing it better than he is.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 01:13 AM   #5
Scyth

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
vin's a piece of work all right. he's been threatening this for a while, but he'll regret it. the glue that holds gnutella together is the common standard. when one client breaks ranks and goes its' own way others may do so too, leading to the marginalisation of the network and taking bearshare down with it.
I'll agree with you that Vinnie is a piece of work.

Still, I don't think this decision is all that bad. Gnutella isn't a stable protocol. It's constantly evolving under the control of the GDF. Client whose implementors choose to ignore the GDF are ultimately made for the network. Xolox and other 0.4 handshake client would, eventually, have to be dropped. Still, I think a better way of handling this would have been to cause people to abandon Xolox by offering a better client. Also, Vinnie comes off as a little hypocritical by dropping older clients while still not implementing ultra-peers in his own client.
Scyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-02, 12:19 AM   #6
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

..Scyth...I couldn't have said it better myself...IF ..Bearshare was better, Xolox would die a natural death.

....but wait..informed sources tell me a XoloX 'crack' will be available in a few days.

..fukin vinnie..he WILL regret this action..I promise you.