P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 08-03-02, 05:49 PM   #1
petriburg

Default That sneaky cd_clint.dll in Grokster

More confusion!!! I performed the clean install of Grokster
as explained so thoroughly by JS (in fact, I printed out the destructions he posted, to avoid mistakes). Everything seemed to go according to plan, except that my Windows|System folder did not contain an "old" cd_clint.dll to move to another folder.
But the rest of the install went exactly as directed.
Here's the mystery. When I booted up my computer this morning, a Grokster message box appeared on my desktop, looking for internet connection to update information. I complied with this.
Within minutes, I ran ad-aware, and found another cd_clint.dll had been downloaded! This, I deleted.
I then tried to open Grokster. No go - I was informed that an essential part of the programmme had been deleted!
I then re-installed Napho's cd_clint.dll, checked Grokster, and the application ran normally.
Did I omit something in the installation, or does this Grokster update box appear with every re-boot? I guess the thing to do is just cancel it out, if that is what happens.
Any further suggestions?

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 06:37 PM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Re: That sneaky cd_clint.dll in Grokster

Quote:
Originally posted by petriburg
as explained so thoroughly by JS (in fact, I printed out the destructions he posted, to avoid mistakes). Everything seemed to go according to plan, except that my Windows|System folder did not contain an "old" cd_clint.dll to move to another folder.
Here's the mystery. When I booted up my computer this morning, a Grokster message box appeared on my desktop, looking for internet connection to update information. I complied with this.
Within minutes, I ran ad-aware, and found another cd_clint.dll had been downloaded! This, I deleted.
I then tried to open Grokster. No go - I was informed that an essential part of the programmme had been deleted!
I then re-installed Napho's cd_clint.dll, checked Grokster, and the application ran normally.
Did I omit something in the installation, or does this Grokster update box appear with every re-boot? I guess the thing to do is just cancel it out, if that is what happens.
Any further suggestions?
I think the problem is you need to rename the original cd_clint.dll file to oldcd_clint.dll. Take the newly renamed file and stash it away somewhere for safekeeping, ideally in another folder.

Take the new dummy cd_clint.dll you retrieved from napho's link and install it into either your Windows' system files or into Grokster's folder (I've found that either way works) but have just read that placing it into the Grokster folder is ideal and guarantees no other proggie will try to access it.

I hate spyware!!!
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 07:07 PM   #3
zombywoof

Default Re: That sneaky cd_clint.dll in Grokster

Quote:
Originally posted by petriburg
Any further suggestions?

Yea I got one. Don't bother with Croakster. I wen't thru the routine with the clint thing and all, and all that Croakster did was take over my IE browser, caused it to malfunction rendering it useless causing me to repair explorer and random adds popped up anyway. It is a rogue piece of spyware that took me a couple of hours to fix my pc. It's up to you of course if you want to continue using it, but for me, if this is what the next generation of p2p is going to be, then I won't be too thrilled about future p2p apps. I'll limit what I use that is free of spyware or go with a hacked, spyware stripped version or just go FTP. I normally don't bother too much downloading spyware riddled software, but I figured I'd install Croakster and remove the bullshit but it didn't quite work that way. With so many spyware free apps to use that are spyware free, I'll use one of those.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 07:07 PM   #4
JackSpratts

hey petriburg. i can think of a few things that may have happened. i'll go over the easy ones (a lot of newbies read these too). first, is explorer set to view hidden files? invariably the cd_clint will be loaded at install but if the file is hidden, you won't be able to find it.

assuming that it's unhidden, and judging from your post it probably is, did you look in the proper system folder? there are several, including one called system32, so make sure you're in the right neighborhood. finally, if the cd_clint.dll was installed (it's always possible it wasn't), ad-aware will find it and you can note its' location that way.

as for the update at sign-on, it's just an excuse to load up some more timely spyware when available. i don't think you'll want to let it operate. go thru start | run and uncheck it.

if you haven't installed v1.5.1 , now would be a good time to do so. take a look at my "destructions" again. they were updated earlier today.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 08:45 PM   #5
napho
Dawn's private genie

Smile

Just to add to the confusion I have both Grokster and iMesh and once iMesh wouldn't open so I went back to the original cd_clint and renamed the dummy .d instead of .dll.
Now both work without the ad bar. Go figure?
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 02:53 AM   #6
petriburg

Default confusion sorted?

Hi, JS, thanks for the tips, lucid as always. I now have a working version of Grokster on my PC my error - I deleted the original cd_clint from the ad-aware scan (slap wrist!).

Napho, the warning's welcome but gee, I hate confusion!

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 06:14 AM   #7
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
Just to add to the confusion I have both Grokster and iMesh and once iMesh wouldn't open so I went back to the original cd_clint and renamed the dummy .d instead of .dll.
Now both work without the ad bar. Go figure?
I have Grokster, iMesh & eDonkey all working happily with the dummy cd_clint file.

The only thing that snuck by with the iMesh install was NewDotNet which thanks to an induhvidual that we had on our old Morpheus Board I had allready learned how to remove before the fact.

I have learned something about using both Grokster & iMesh. Last night I was searching for some emo, punk and punk covers on Grokster and noticed one pretty fast connection. So I right-clicked and "Searched for more from user" and found a whole boatload of stuff... For some reason his downloads started slowing, so I closed Grokster and opened iMesh (I have them using the same download folder). It picked back up on the downloads at a much higher speed and stayed that way! The only downside is that you can't do the "search" thing with iMesh, but the two programs work well together.

I've noticed that iMesh is pretty agressive in finding more sources and tends to move along at a better pace then Grokster for me... But I like searching better with Grokster.
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 07:16 AM   #8
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K

I've noticed that iMesh is pretty agressive in finding more sources and tends to move along at a better pace then Grokster for me... But I like searching better with Grokster.
Imesh is much faster. Maybe someone should try their download manager (I'm happy with mine). They might just have superior technology when it comes to dl'ing.

http://imesh.net/
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 07:37 AM   #9
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Default run->msconfig

have a look in your start up list
and see that u may have an grokster update entry
i had one
sory if this was already mentioned somewhere

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 12:10 PM   #10
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Thumbs up Re: run->msconfig

Quote:
Originally posted by multi inter user face
have a look in your start up list
and see that u may have an grokster update entry
i had one
sory if this was already mentioned somewhere
As a matter of fact that is the final step in JackSpratts Grokster SpywareFree Install - Step by Step tutorial. I am about to post something that also was mentioned somewhere. I was commenting on the fact that I didn't see the update in my Startup Folder...

Quote:
I was wondering about this step and then remembered that I declined the update while installing Grokster...

"How" you might ask "was I able to just say no..." without a restart?

One program I find I can't do without (It's one of the first I install if I re-load Windows) is Mike Lin's StartupMonitor. Here is a quote from Mike Lin's Home Page.
Quote:
StartupMonitor is a small utility that runs transparently (it doesn't even use a tray icon) and notifies you when any program registers itself to run at system startup. It prevents those utterly useless tray applications from registering themselves behind your back, and it acts as a security tool against trojans like BackOrifice or Netbus.
You might want to check this Little Jewel out. I rate it a "Must Have"
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote