P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 06-03-02, 03:57 AM   #1
Mowzer
'

Default Stupidity...

Just a quick question on something I was wondering about.

Kazaa and grokster, now are the only two "mainstream" clients that connect to the fast track network.

They are both fully packed with spyware/adware. Do you think the spy ware will eventually cause big dents in the user base due to people becoming informed about it all? Or do you think most users just don't care?
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-02, 04:51 AM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Much depends on the available alternatives... people are getting gradually more conscious about spyware and having no spyware was probably a competitive advantage to Morpheus, reflecting in both private and public evaluations and recommendations. On the other hand spyware has not prevented audioGalaxy from becoming popular so Kazaa and Grokster might have at least a period of time when they can cash on the privacy of their userbase... until a strong enough spyware-free replacement becomes available.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-02, 05:27 AM   #3
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Its WAR..... (of another kind!)

I somehow suspect that the "Spyware" versus "Anti-Spyware" battle will go on for a long time, with each side battling for top position... So whats different to other businesses? they are all out to get the money, grab the customer, no longer is it neccessary to have a GOOD PRODUCT, today all you need is to make the customer think he NEEDS your product, and you are IN.

The way you make your customer THINK they need your product is to PEER them against others that have it, make them feel like lesser beings because they DONT have it.

So finding out what you do and what you like, is essential to their strategy.

This does not really answer the question, in fact it poses more questions, but as long as there is publicity about the Spyware, then that is a good thing, users certainly are becoming more aware, especially after the recent email virus attacks.

The Windows operating system has more holes in it than than my bath sponge, we really need some "Soap" to fill them up, a utility that scans every vital file in the system before and after any internet usage, so the incidious additions can be flagged up NOW, not three months later when you have forgot what you installed.

Snark.. Any offers?

Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-02, 10:49 AM   #4
snowman

Default spyware?

Well, just consider that you don't know who controls the spyware. This catagory of software could include such things as license managers from MS, ad servers, keystroke listeners etc.

You also don't know what it is being used for and who it is being sold to.

Having spyware on your computer is about equivalent to have big brother looking over your shoulder.

If you use software that reports usage to a third party and know about it you cannot complain later in a court. At least that is the way it is here.

Usage => Acceptance.
Old 06-03-02, 11:01 AM   #5
zombywoof

Default Re: Stupidity...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethen
Just a quick question on something I was wondering about.

Kazaa and grokster, now are the only two "mainstream" clients that connect to the fast track network.

They are both fully packed with spyware/adware. Do you think the spy ware will eventually cause big dents in the user base due to people becoming informed about it all? Or do you think most users just don't care?

I think it will cause big dents in the userbase once people get informed on what spyware is and what it can potentially do to their system. Those who are uninformed, it probably won't make a difference.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-02, 11:32 AM   #6
MikeHunt
Unknown Legend

Default people..people....why?

..people...people ...Why? ...there are many other programs out there. Try Blubster for MP3's ..and Xolox for the other sh*t. They are better and faster than Morpheus.....no spyware...easier to use.... Get over the 'morph' ..move on....
Old 06-03-02, 01:18 PM   #7
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Default Re: Stupidity...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethen
Do you think the spy ware will eventually cause big dents in the user base due to people becoming informed about it all? Or do you think most users just don't care?
The big dents will come when users learn more about spyware or care about it. Although, with the way things have been going I don't think that will happen very soon. For example, when Morpheus was at it's prime Kazaa still was very close to Morpheus in their number of users. That's just sad because Morpheus was pretty much the exact same version of Kazaa without the spyware, and yet people still chose to download Kazaa and stay with it.

Also, I think most users don't know about the other p2p programs out there. When the Kazaa forum was still working I remember people still asking on a regular bases about Morpheus. Also, spyware has been mentioned many times on the Kazaa forums and yet there is still a large user base. I'm sure that's happy news for the spyware program makers.

I guess it comes down to some people are in denial, or they don't care, or are afraid to change from a program that is working for them, or they simply are clueless when it comes to spyware. I've tried to educated some users when the kazaa forum was up, but it seemed like I as talking to a brick wall.

I don't think this huge dent is going to come anytime soon...hopefully I'm wrong.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote