P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 28-02-02, 02:26 AM   #1
RDixon

Default Morpheus Locks Out Users

"(CNET) - StreamCast Networks' Morpheus--a file-swapping service that many have said would be impossible for courts to shut down--shut out most of its users Tuesday, citing "technical problems." Computer users trying to log on to the service were greeted with a message telling them to upgrade their software to connect, although no newer version of the software was available. The outage immediately sparked a huge increase in traffic on alternative file-swapping services, such as Gnutella. "

A result of the "falling out"?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ocks_out_users
Old 28-02-02, 06:28 AM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Wired has a good story with fresh info about the situation, including comments from Streamcast Networks chairman Steven Griffen.

It is now clear that Kazaa (aka Consumer Empowerment) played a dirty trick on Streamcast by not informing them about the coming upgrade which knocked the Morpoheus users off the FastTrack network.

Check the story, well worth reading!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-02, 06:37 AM   #3
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Posted by BuzzB2K @ DSL Reports
Basically FastTrack changed the locks while Morpheus wasn't looking... Both KaZaA & Grokster upgraded to ver 1.5 but I think StreamCast was hoping to get there Morph ver 2 released before they locked out the 1.3 versions. I think the worst part of this is that most Morpheus users don't realize they have lost access to FastTrack probably for good the way it sounds - the Mods in the MusicCity Chat rooms won't let you mention KaZaA or Grokster, because they probably would loose users for good... Which they will anyway...
--
You ever stop to think......and then forget to start back up!
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-02, 09:54 AM   #4
JackSpratts

i think it has more to do with back room deals, license arrangements and bad feelings between consumer empowerment/sharman and streamcast than any kind of misunderstanding. especially the bad feelings part. i mean, why hasn't streamcast released v2 and broken away from from the pure fasttrack protocol? could it be that consumer empowerment threatened to cut them off if they did?

i think the whole thing has been about the tail wagging the dog, that the little-licensee morpheus got so much bigger than the parent - and then made demands. the result is the licensor saying "we don't want you to do this, if you go ahead and make this update we'll shut you out". does anyone actually believe that the codes were changed overnight and morpheus didn't know about it before hand? i think it's much more likely that it's been a threat for a long time and that threat has kept morph from releasing v2.

something happened recently that brought it to a head. in this high stakes game morpheus pushed a bit too hard perhaps and fasttrack pushed back. harder.

we'll get the update, it's probably been ready for months, but it won't connect to the fasttrack network which is what this has been about all along i think.

morpheus version 2.0 has to use gnutella now. that and perhaps an entirely new network are all that'll be left of the original morpheus, if the parties can't work things out in the next few weeks.

it's going to be like starting from scratch last april - after napster was killed - all over again. new network, new protocols, new problems. oh boy.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-02, 10:38 AM   #5
assorted
WAH!

Have their been any discussions about what the Morpheus people might do if they implement Gnutella? There's always worry I think among the gnutella people that a client that spits out garbage that was readable only by that client would completely fuck up the whole network and all the other clients. So anyone who develops for gnutella has to be careful and work with everyone else so that the network doesn't get screwed up that way.

I'm a bit concerened that morpheus won't do that at all; and the influx of new users sending out proprietary garbage in their search terms would destroy the network for everyone else.

I don't know that much about this; just a worst-case-scenario rant.
Old 28-02-02, 11:23 AM   #6
JackSpratts

we'll probably watch a repeat of the situation that occured with xolox, the first gnutella based application that allowed multi-sourced downloading. the "pressure" that app placed on the system (according to bearshare, for what that's worth) caused many in the gnutella camp to seriously consider locking it out of the network. it was news to me (but unfortunately not surprising) that this could be done in the first place.

what comes out of it all is the realisation that those of us who thought all these networks were centralised were right all along, in spite of the lies we were told by the companies, and that's the worst possible news file sharing advocates can receive.

it turns out that these networks couldn't be easier to shut down. just change a few lines of code at the server and it's napster part II. won't the riaa be happy about that?

- js.
Old 28-02-02, 01:08 PM   #7
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

JS, you've brought up very good points on your last 2 posts. I'm sure a lot user's first reaction to the message about Morpheus being too old was, "WTF, I'm completely cut off from Morpheus!"
And then the realization of the happy smiles on the RIAA's faces is apparently. This is what they have been asking and demanding all along. Morpheus just proved that they could be shut down in a snap.

Morpheus should've release verion 2.0 well before this to keep this information from being well known and proven. They had to have known this was going to happen. It would've kept the rumors of Morpheus being more of a centralized server as a rumor. Their court arguments have just lost one leg to stand on.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-02, 12:44 AM   #8
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

ok, so riddle me this, you clever people: why did Grokster come up with the exact same difficulties (failure to connect, demanding an upgrade be installed etc.) at exactly the same time?

...and it's worth noting that, although they apparently did have an upgrade ready to go, it took me two days to actually get it to d/l, and about 4 tries to install it....and finally I connected about an hour ago with the stats showing 700,000+ users online (more than I've ever seen, for whatever that's worth)....and immediately got in 8 or 10 fast d/l's....all in all, somewhat of an improvement over the old Grokster...

...so the upshot is, I don't know I'm going forwards or backwards...is this progress or not?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-02, 07:50 AM   #9
BuzzB2K

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife
ok, so riddle me this, you clever people: why did Grokster come up with the exact same difficulties (failure to connect, demanding an upgrade be installed etc.) at exactly the same time?

...and it's worth noting that, although they apparently did have an upgrade ready to go, it took me two days to actually get it to d/l, and about 4 tries to install it....and finally I connected about an hour ago with the stats showing 700,000+ users online (more than I've ever seen, for whatever that's worth)....and immediately got in 8 or 10 fast d/l's....all in all, somewhat of an improvement over the old Grokster...

...so the upshot is, I don't know I'm going forwards or
backwards...is this progress or not?
Like you said they had an update ready to replace the 1.3 version of Grokster... So only Morpheus got caught with it's pants down...

And although it now shows more users you also see a lot fewer files... (Note: today it is much higher then the 1.5 - 2 million I was seeing, as I write this it is over 37 million!! - but users is only 450,000)
Old 01-03-02, 07:57 AM   #10
goldie
yea, it's me.

Brows

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K

Like you said they had an update ready to replace the 1.3 version of Grokster... So only Morpheus got caught with it's pants down...

And although it now shows more users you also see a lot fewer files... (Note: today it is much higher then the 1.5 - 2 million I was seeing, as I write this it is over 37 million!! - but users is only 450,000)
<Rod Steward, Rod Sterling or whatever his name is impression>Welcome to the Twlight zone<end impression>

This is all getting very strange......................
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-02, 11:55 PM   #11
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

An open battle between Streamcast and Kazaa/Sharman has begun...

From Music City website:

Quote:

BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU CLICK

A recent press statement announced that KAZAA/Sharman Networks has a new program that allows you to re-connect to the Kazaa/FastTrack Network. This new program is NOT endorsed by MusicCity and will NOT allow you to connect to the Morpheus/Gnutella P2P network. We find it interesting that someone sent a message to your computer earlier this week which prevented your Morpheus Software product from joining the network and now a new software installer suggests that it allows you to re-connect. Remember with Morpheus, no spy ware just a great P2P software product.

Our goal is to create the software that lets you create the network ...

- tg
Old 02-03-02, 12:10 AM   #12
JackSpratts

"Our goal is to create the software that lets you create the network ..."

and a worthy goal it is too. so, will we ever see it?

these guys haven't scripted an original line that i can see. so far it's been nothing but the relabled work of others. first kazaa, now gnucleus. they do pick good apps tho.

- js.
Old 02-03-02, 12:26 AM   #13
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

thses guys haven't scripted an original line that i can see. so far it's been nothing but the relabled work of others. first kazaa, now gnucleus. they do pick good apps tho.

- js.
....and before Kazaa it was of course OpenNap. Just before switching over to Kazaa's software they run 40 high-end OpenNap servers linked to form the biggest OpenNap network that was available at the time.

- tg
Old 02-03-02, 12:27 AM   #14
BuzzB2K

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

thses guys haven't scripted an original line that i can see. so far it's been nothing but the relabled work of others. first kazaa, now gnucleus. they do pick good apps tho.

- js.
Have you seen what it does when you hover the mouse over the tray icon?
Old 02-03-02, 12:32 AM   #15
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

....and before Kazaa it was of course OpenNap. Just before switching over to Kazaa's software they run 40 high-end OpenNap servers linked to form the biggest OpenNap network that was available at the time.

- tg
how could i forget? those were the days alright. what a network! when i think of alll the tunes i neglected to look for last year, it drives me crazy...

- js.