P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 10-03-02, 08:06 PM   #1
assorted
WAH!

Default eDonkey hell

about 2 hours ago I ran eDonkey for the first time. I wanted to grab a song and am looking for a morpeus replacement. WinMX is hell so i'm moving on.

Well; it's 2 hours later and eDonkey is still "hashing" my few gigs of files. What the hell is it doing? Why is it taking so long? how come each file over 600+MB takes so damn long to "hash". Is it sending anything to a central server? Why the hell did I install this crap? Is it worth it?

um; that's about all my questions.
Old 10-03-02, 09:12 PM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

It takes a long time to hash although 2 hours and counting sucks. It's a one time thing though.
eDonkey isn't really great for music and it's kind of slow. It's excellent for programs and high quality movies.

http://www.file-finder.com/index.php?page=bot

Try the bot with it.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-02, 09:23 PM   #3
assorted
WAH!

thx; i'll try the bot...

after about 2 and a half hours my 1,800 files were finally "hashed". i then couldn't connect to any servers at all.

i went to some "server page" listed on the forum and started hitting links that linked into edonkey. that worked.

about 6 people hit me immediately upon connecting taking all my bandwidth. Sure I could limit it; but let's see first if they got anything I want.

It didn't return a single search result I needed.

B4 I delete I'll try the bot and I'll try to wait until I need a video file and see how it works for that. But for videos I can always use Direct Connect, which has a great selection and nowhere near this amount of people sucking my ass once i'm on.

Still stuck needing a music prog when audiogalaxy bans a file in a post morpheus world... (morpheus was a semi-dependable 2nd to AudioGalaxy I found). Hehe; I'm sure one will turn up.
Old 10-03-02, 10:46 PM   #4
multi
Thanks for being with arse

i cant really use donkey without the bot now
it does help for finding servers
after about 10 min use the FAST Global Search
i have found a few songs like that ok
also check http://www.sharereactor.com/
the bot is at
http://www.file-finder.com/
maybe dont put up all your shares in one session
to reduce hashing time

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-02, 11:11 PM   #5
zombywoof

Use the bot. Like miuf, I seem to have difficulty connecting without it.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-02, 11:17 AM   #6
Smoketoomuch
freak

donkey with both is excellent, its my numero uno p2p app now. Best combination: www.sharereactor.com, bot 1.1, donkey v59. Don't give up, (I did once, and now I see it as a mistake) and it is also very OK for songs and videoclips - I even found some rare bands I couldn't on morpheus back then.... But yes, its best for softs and movs.

ps. The longer you use it the better it gets somehow, just never mind that ID numbers (mine is steadily growing the more I use it...). I think donkey is the most technologically advanced p2p app - none others can download unfinished business - so far its quite unique. And as far as speed goes, its slow only if you search for something with low availability, but that's how every p2p works. I just downloaded a map for someone, and it had a great availability, so I got speeds (for both parts) above 70k/sec. You have to set your connection speed in the bot, then set how much portion of your bw the bot will allow donkey to use. My setting is 512 down 256 up, but limit with both to 2/3 of it which means 158 down and 77 up.
Old 11-03-02, 01:50 PM   #7
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

the donkey calculates a lot more exhaustive hash value than the FT clients (which in fact just take sample chunks from a file). therefor the initial calculation may take much longer, but at the end you will get the time back when your download data integrity will be higher.

http://www.schrevel.com/edonkey/
http://users.aber.ac.uk/tpm01/ed2k_tools/

indy
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-02, 04:49 PM   #8
pod
Bumbling idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by indiana_jones
the donkey calculates a lot more exhaustive hash value than the FT clients
Not just more exhaustive. What all other p2p apps do is hash the first few kb of a file for purposes of resuming, etc, to make sure that the files are the same. I'm sure it works most of the time, but we've all seen corrupt downloads and different files grouped together in Morph before, hmm?

eDonkey NEEDS to hash the entire file. It hashes the file because only byte for byte exact files will be resumed and multisourced. This also allows eDonkey to download 'chunks' (which are individually hashed), a feature much more powerful than the likes of Morpheus have ever seen. So yeah, it will take a while to hash all your files (I myself would not want to go through hashing 120gb off a network share again), but it does only have to do it once, and there's a good reason for that.

BTW, I've never managed to find any music on eDonkey, maybe some very popular tracks are available, but it's mostly for movies and apps/games.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-02, 05:11 PM   #9
Smoketoomuch
freak

When you search for music, don't use mp3 search. Rather, search for any. Many users have full albums nicely zipped in one file for your convenience...
Old 13-03-02, 12:12 AM   #10
pod
Bumbling idiot

Hmm, how do you find out your eDonkey id number anyhow?
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-02, 01:29 AM   #11
Smoketoomuch
freak

Click on question mark near ad banner. But don't worry about it - I used to do it, since I have very low id due to firewall (I connect trough lan), but I think its not that important as one would think at first...
Old 13-03-02, 05:48 AM   #12
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

I've gotten about 10 albums off the donkey, rar or ace with all tracks sometimes front and back covers, track list etc...
All were at 192 or VBR.

You can search for seperate mp3's and find them all day long - getting them to download is another matter.
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-02, 09:59 AM   #13
Smoketoomuch
freak

some systems needs registry tweak to allow many maxconnections. Here is a reg file.
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MST CP]
“MaxConnections”=”256”

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Internet Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000100
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000100

You can set MaxConnections to 400 value - that gives you the ability to have connexions above 1000 (256 is 256 I believe...) - but beware, make sure your connections supports that much. I had to set it to 400, since once they were maxed out and browser said: remote connection closed, or something like that.

ps. Buzz, that avatar of yours is
Old 13-03-02, 10:19 AM   #14
zombywoof

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoketoomuch
some systems needs registry tweak to allow many maxconnections. Here is a reg file.
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MST CP]
“MaxConnections”=”256”

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Internet Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000100
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000100

You can set MaxConnections to 400 value - that gives you the ability to have connexions above 1000 (256 is 256 I believe...) - but beware, make sure your connections supports that much. I had to set it to 400, since once they were maxed out and browser said: remote connection closed, or something like that.

ps. Buzz, that avatar of yours is

Those values are probably entered in Hexidecimal on that regkey. 400(base 16) = 1,024(Decimal)

zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote