P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 08-03-02, 05:34 AM   #1
petriburg

Default Morpheus preview edition

And now, by e-mail on this (Friday, in Sydney) evening, comes the earth shattering announcement of the Morpheus Preview Edition. Not only, but also, the promise of version 2 in two weeks' time!
Well, the basis of PE is Gnutella (Gnu, as it appears - wasn't that a song by Peter Cook & Dudley Moore ? I'm a G - Nu?) Not sure, now, as my pal Al Zeimer may have misled me. I digress.
The presentation is sure different, with quite a number of features added. But now, to dip one's toes in the water, so to speak, and see if it works.
Ciao,
Petri

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 04:07 PM   #2
ssj4_android
Redefining Reality

Gnu means open source or something like that. It's gnucleus, or did they ad something besides bugs and ads now?
ssj4_android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 04:41 PM   #3
petriburg

Well, I was really having a shot at Morpheus. Point is, we've known about PE for more than a week, now, when suddenly, up comes this news (not) by e-mail. Seems to have taken them quite a while to get the information out, doesn't it?
On the subject of the name, Gnutella (abbreviated to Gnu in some of the preamble to PE)- it triggered off my thoughts regarding a fun song by Cook & Moore - betcha Snarkridden will remember it, if he's old enough!
But, etymologically, I can't find any reference to the Gnu prefix in the New Oxford Dictionary - gno, yes - shortform of gnosis (Gr.) knowledge. But Gnu - its just a kind of antelope!

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 05:39 PM   #4
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows I H'aint a Helk, I'm a Gnu...

Call me Okapi or a Bison and I'll sue....

Flanders & Swann brilliant stuff, just do a search on the O/nap
you might find a lot, you might EVEN find my collection

I got TWO emails from Whoever ruins the show now... (intentional spelling)

Eventually you will get a reply, but the old email is no longer, so all is now forwarded to my new one, and there's LOTS to answer..

Old enough, nah. you don't have to be OLD enough, just have a funny sense of humour...

You need a good sense of humour to be a PC owner, as you have found out!

Finally traced my problems to a bad SDRAM socket, memory suddenly flipping from 256m to 128m and greedy things like WinMx don't like it being taken away from them, at least not suddenly.. Windows was trying to tell me something, something in the story said "Protection Error" and Gazonk ... Gone

There you are Gazdet, I used one of your favourite words...
Bet you used one when you hit me off the other day, for a bit
of maintenance work.?

Snark... Now will it last?
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 05:57 PM   #5
pod
Bumbling idiot

Just for the record, Gnucleus is derived from GNU and nucleus. GNU is an open source software umbrella organization, and covers hundreds of projects. It's known as the originator of the GPL, or General Public License, which is a sort of a EULA for GNU software.

Many GNU projects follow the G* naming convention and are sometimes recursive/self-referential acronyms; GNU itself stands for GNU's Not Unix.

One of the advantages of GPL licensed software is that the source code must be available to any person who obtains the executable binary; a very attractive proposition to MusicCity as you can see. The trade-off is that anyone distributing modified versions of such software (like Morpheus PE) must also make the changes publicly available.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote