P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 01-03-02, 02:18 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default Grokster and spyware

Just say no to filefreedom,offer companion,gator,and the desktop shortcuts. The startpage comes with something called Guardster which I don't use. It seems insidious. You can eliminate the ad bar by substituting a dummy file called cd_clint.dll for the original in your system.

http://www.cexx.org/dummies.htm

http://www.guardster.com

napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-02, 07:39 PM   #2
zombywoof

So that .dll file replacement entirely disables Cydoor on grokster?
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-02, 11:35 PM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

well, I ran AdAware....disabled the spyware from the new version of Grokster, and of course diabled Grokster in the process...which led me to this thread. But I followed Napho's link....d/l'd cd_clint.zip but it says the info file is corrupt....any advice on how to install the dummy file (which I assume is Project1.cpp) to make Grokster work again without the spyware?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-02, 11:40 PM   #4
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife
well, I ran AdAware....disabled the spyware from the new version of Grokster, and of course diabled Grokster in the process...which led me to this thread. But I followed Napho's link....d/l'd cd_clint.zip but it says the info file is corrupt....any advice on how to install the dummy file (which I assume is Project1.cpp) to make Grokster work again without the spyware?
The dummy file is the cd_clint.dll file!

On Win 9x\ME it goes in the Windows\System folder

on 2000\XP it goes in the Windows\System32 folder

And rename the original cd_clint.dll to cd_clint.old or cd_clint.org or something because it doesn't like to uninstall later using the dummy...
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-02, 11:56 PM   #5
JackSpratts

if you d/l that link from napho and unzip it to a new folder, remember to ignore it when ad-aware discovers it, which it will. you're going to need it later.

say no to all the extra installs grokster presents at set-up, including taking over your browser. after install clean grokster with ad-aware. twice. allow ad-aware to remove everything except the cd-clint.dll files. when done go to windows/system and find the cd_clint.dll there. it should be 151k. rename and remove it to another folder and replace it with the one you d/l'd. done.

restart grokster. i'll clean this up later* but that's about it.

- js.

edit:*done.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 12:44 AM   #6
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

well, after 30 minutes of fruitlessssly searching for both the old cd_clint.dll file and the new cd_clint.dll file, it finally dawned on me that they were both hidden files....so once I removed the hidden attributes and replaced the spyware file with the dummy file, voila! i'm back on Grokster and d/l away.....

thanks, Jack and Napho - i don't care what the RIAA says about you - you guys are first class in my book!

theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 03:09 AM   #7
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by theknife
well, after 30 minutes of fruitlessssly searching for both the old cd_clint.dll file and the new cd_clint.dll file, it finally dawned on me that they were both hidden files....so once I removed the hidden attributes and replaced the spyware file with the dummy file, voila! i'm back on Grokster and d/l away.....

thanks, Jack and Napho - i don't care what the RIAA says about you - you guys are first class in my book!

That is one problem I always have helping people - There are no hidden files or folders on my Computer - (I don't like hidden stuff) - So I never mention it to people.
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-02, 04:04 AM   #8
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

Default protecting registry

with
  • C:\WINNT\system32\regedt32.exe
you can set access rights for every registry key - thus setting it i.e. "read only" for all users including admin (if you admin). this works for WINNT.

are there experiences with other OS?
anybody tried it already?
i couldnt prove if malicious clients could override this setings.

indy
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote