P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 10-10-05, 12:01 PM   #1
Repo

Default Harriet Miers' Paper Trail

There was a storm of discontent when George W. Bush nominated White House counsel Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court. The rumbling wasn't coming from the usual source, the Democrats but from the usually giddy Republicans. Harriet Miers wasn't what they expected. She wasn't a sitting judge, she hasn't got lots of conservative opinions floating around and she wasn't one of the many conservative legal scholars that they had groomed for the job. She was an unknown with an unknown ideology, so naturally they got nervous when Bush announced Harriet Miers was nominated to the Supreme Court. Bush has known the lady for years going back to his days as Texas Governor. He picked Harriet Miers because he knows he can trust her. That is the key word, trust...

Harriet Miers may be the perfect choice for Bush to put on the Supreme Court. With little or no paper trail, there is little ammunition for Democrats to denigrate her. She even fits the bill by some Democrats that a woman should replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor. You would think Republicans would be thrilled that a conservative could easily pass confirmation to the Senate but they are not. Pat Buchanan called on Bush to withdraw her name, like anybody in the Republican Party still listens to Pat Buchanan. What's he going to do, leave the party and run on a third party ticket? Oh he already did that. George Will thinks she is the "wrong pick." Gary Bauer thinks, "Her apparent silence is troubling." All of these conservatives are worried about one thing and one thing only, that she is not as conservative as Bush claims she is. They want the Supreme Court to overturn various ruling and are afraid that if she isn't conservative enough she may vote with the liberals on the bench. This is especially so with the Roe v. Wade ruling. A conservative Supreme Court could make abortion almost illegal by allowing each individual state to decide the legality of abortion in their own state. This is the big issue of most conservatives and what they fear most is Bush appointing someone to the Supreme Court that looks and sounds conservative but once on the Supreme Court rules the other way. It has happened before and they fear it could happen again. That is what makes them so nervous, not just not knowing Harriet Miers but that she has no paper trail...

Bush said in his radio address, "I chose Harriet Miers for the court both because of her accomplishments and because I know her character and her judicial philosophy." The only thing the conservatives have is Bush basically saying trust me I know Harriet Miers. Now most people would take a president on his word but this president has cried wolf so many times it is no wonder that conservatives are nervous. When Bush first ran for president he claimed he didn't believe in nation building but now he is spending billions of dollars and plenty of American blood nation building Iraq in the hopes that democracy will grow. He claimed to be for small government but under his watch and the Republican Congress the federal government grew more than any time in history. He claimed to be a fiscal conservative but took the country into so much debt it may never get out. He claimed he had proof that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction and that turned out to be false. He claimed he had enough troops and a plan when he ordered an attack on Iraq and that proved to be false. Every time Bush has said trust me there has been disastrous results. That is the key word, trust. The conservatives have learned that Bush just can't be trusted and when he says I know Harriet Miers, trust me, they don't and they shouldn't. Harriet Miers doesn't have a paper trail but Bush does and it shows he can't be trusted...
Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 01:12 PM   #2
albed
flippin 'em off

Eek!

Mucho confused. ??? Is Repo complaining? If so, why?
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-05, 04:01 PM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

unfortunately, the Dems manage to fuck themselves into a corner (yet again) on this one. they allowed the White House to stonewall them on the Roberts nomination, and ultimately confirmed him without getting all the documentation on his record. having set that precedent, they will now proceed with the Miers nomination and have not a leg to stand on when the White House claims exectuive privelege on her paper trail.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-05, 07:32 PM   #4
Nicobie

I would think that winning the powerball lottery would be all the credentials needed in order to serve on the SUPREME court.
Old 11-10-05, 07:39 PM   #5
RoBoBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicobie
I would think that winning the powerball lottery would be all the credentials needed in order to serve on the SUPREME court.
lol, You're confused, that's the requirement for being president, You only need to know a powerball winner to sit on the big bench.
RoBoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 07:36 PM   #6
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoBoBoy
lol, You're confused, that's the requirement for being president, You only need to know a powerball winner to sit on the big bench.
Sillie me. (is not just for x-mas)