P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 10-02-03, 02:55 PM   #1
assorted
WAH!

Default multisourcing on private server?

I'd like to be able to run a centralized server for a p2p client that supports multisourcing. is this possible?

even if not centralized; i'd just like a p2p client that supports multisource downloads that also lets me control who can get on it (via a password or whatever)....

is this around yet? or possible yet?
Old 10-02-03, 04:21 PM   #2
napho
Dawn's private genie

BadBlue is an interesting program although I dunno if it does exactly what you'd like it to.

http://badblue.com/helpgnu.htm
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-03, 04:36 PM   #3
JackSpratts

i was thinking groove. i've emailed them for info. also try locutus.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-03, 01:17 AM   #4
assorted
WAH!

thanks,

all 3 of those seem to support the idea of a 'private' p2p... but none of them seem to support multisourcing... well; at least none of them are touting it on their websites...

btw; here's what i wanna set up...

naz has wanted for some time to set up some form of server for underground/cult/foreign films..

personally, the only quality i really care about when it comes to online movies is dvd rips at about 1.5 gigs a movie (thanks dumwaldo for showing me the light!). that's too giant a pain in the ass on 1 persons connection...

but not 4 or 5 or 10 peoples connections. i'm thinking i get together a few likeminded peeps who like more esoteric films and then host say 5-10 movies every two weeks or so. the 5-10 movies would be shared by 5-10 cable folks; so the downloads would be speedy as shit. (even if it was just me and naz and 1 other person i know serving that would make a download for 1 person be like 120k off our 3 connections). that makes a gig and a half download more appealing to me.

furthermore, i think the future of p2p is in 'private' p2p clubs like this.. which is also why i'm curious.
Old 11-02-03, 02:12 AM   #5
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by assorted
furthermore, i think the future of p2p is in 'private' p2p clubs like this.. which is also why i'm curious.
I also think that small dedicated & topical sharing groups will play an important role in future p2p. Many such groups have already operated for years around private OpenNap, FTP, Hotline and DC servers and other technical platforms but they have remained virtually unvisible as far as media coverage is concerned (which is probably only a good thing). The most stunning mp3 and movie collections never get shared on big open p2p networks... you simply have to know the right people to get access to them.

The idea of small dedicated trading groups may sound incompatible with the idea of large FastTrack-like open networks but I think the two different ways of distribution actually complement each other nicely, making the total p2p ecology more efficient and also more resistant to hostile attacks. The ideal situation would be to have popular clients that support smoothly both modes of operation. WinMX with its WPN / OpenNap support is doing something in that direction but the main problem with WinMX is that you cannot define separate shares to WPN and OpenNap. For example, you might want to share 100 rare files publicly on WPN and a classy library of 10.000 songs on a private OpenNap server. Now, being technically unable to do that you probably end up sharing nothing on WPN and everything on the private server.

(sorry for expanding a bit off your topic... )

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-03, 03:37 AM   #6
napho
Dawn's private genie

You can create your own client based on Gnucleus type technology. The core is open source.

http://www.gnucleus.net/GnucDNA/
Old 11-02-03, 03:50 AM   #7
assorted
WAH!

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
You can create your own client based on Gnucleus type technology. The core is open source.
okies; TG go make one for me (private with multisourcing). in exchange you can leech groovy cult movies from us once our club is running :P
Old 11-02-03, 04:04 AM   #8
LV15
Absolute Bastard

Quote:
okies; TG go make one for me (private with multisourcing). in exchange you can leech groovy cult movies from us once our club is running :P
just offer her naz...it'll be done by the end of the week...you know how much she wants him
LV15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-03, 04:11 AM   #9
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by LV15
just offer her naz...it'll be done by the end of the week...you know how much she wants him

Is it truly worth prostituting a friend just for the sake of some DVD rips? You should be asham....oh wait, they're cult/underground/foreign movies.
Old 11-02-03, 04:21 AM   #10
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Quote:

personally, the only quality i really care about when it comes to online movies is dvd rips at about 1.5 gigs a movie
I agree! Tho some 700MB are just as high quality as the 1.5 ones. The thought of watching one of those low quality screeners makes me cringe.
Old 11-02-03, 04:24 AM   #11
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Big Laugh

@ assorted, LV15 & napho!

Yeah... I am well aware for the kind of needs you have assorted, and you are not alone. Should I (hypothetically speaking) ever bother to code a p2p client I would definitely include an option to form small protected groups with privileged sharing among group members and multisourcing to get the goods.

Mmmmmm..... Naz......

- tg
Old 11-02-03, 04:26 AM   #12
LV15
Absolute Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl
Mmmmmm..... Naz......
is that your smiley rendition of an orgasm? pity there isn't a guilt smiley otherwise i'd show you the male one
Old 11-02-03, 04:38 AM   #13
napho
Dawn's private genie

That Gnuc program is mostly done anyway so naz might just be required to deliver some foreplay.
Old 11-02-03, 10:18 AM   #14
brute_force

It looks like you can run an OpenNap server using the clients Dagsta or Lopster.

http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthre...&threadid=7337
brute_force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 06:56 AM   #15
LV15
Absolute Bastard

ok call me stupid or whatever...i don't really care too much about the ins and outs of p2p anymore....but kazaa et al mutlisource...so couldn't you just get someone to recode kazaalite or something to connect to a b00mb0x dns name thereby bypassing the fasttrak network and creating a little network for peeps with the cracked client?
Old 12-02-03, 07:52 AM   #16
naz
-

lol

couldn't we use a bittorrent? the .torrent would need to be left open after completion for the multisourcing to work tho.
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 08:06 AM   #17
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by LV15
ok call me stupid or whatever...i don't really care too much about the ins and outs of p2p anymore....but kazaa et al mutlisource...so couldn't you just get someone to recode kazaalite or something to connect to a b00mb0x dns name thereby bypassing the fasttrak network and creating a little network for peeps with the cracked client?
It would probably be much easier to modify an open sourced Gnutella client with multisourcing (swarming) for the purpose. You would need to add in the security features but a simple username/password scheme would be enough for your needs. As it would be a private network, extending the protocol with a few private security commands/messages would not be a problem. Also, having the source available would also make it way easier to add possible new features not available in Kazaa.

Possible starting points (open source + swarming support):

LimeWire (Java)
Swapper (C# + .NET)

- tg
Old 12-02-03, 08:17 AM   #18
LV15
Absolute Bastard

i have no idea what the fuck you just said
Old 12-02-03, 11:22 AM   #19
pod
Bumbling idiot

Run a private (non-listed) edonkey server on an odd port, and have the people connecting have just one server on their list. It's a PITA though.

Isn't there an OpenNap client yet that can multisource over the protocol via the resume mechanism? OpenNap servers can have registered nicks, and the scheme wouldn't inconvinience people who wish to use other servers at the same time.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 01:20 PM   #20
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by pod
Isn't there an OpenNap client yet that can multisource over the protocol via the resume mechanism? OpenNap servers can have registered nicks, and the scheme wouldn't inconvinience people who wish to use other servers at the same time.
Even if OpenNap can be tricked to do multisourcing like you say, the major problem with OpenNap is the poor hashing mechanism. It hashes only the first 300 kb of each file - which may be helpful in finding candidates for single source resuming but is not nearly enough for reliable multisourcing. Especially larger files - and we are talking gigabyte movies here - require full-file hashing, preferably in the form of hash trees or other similar constructs so that smaller sections of the file can be verified as soon as they arrive without having to wait for the completition of the entire file.

- tg