P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 26-08-02, 05:05 PM   #1
alphabeater

Default Orbł

continuing on from this thread, the client has been named orbł and development is coming along quickly.

i've attached a screenshot of what orbł looks like so far. a site should be up in a few days and a usable alpha version soon after.

if anyone has any suggestions or ideas for their ideal opennap client i'd be interested to hear them.
Attached Images

alphabeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-02, 05:41 PM   #2
JackSpratts

solid folks, i'm sure you'll find a lot of alpha testers here at nu. good job. put me down for one please.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-02, 05:52 PM   #3
MagicMorpheus

I want to try it, too, please. Keep up the work!
MagicMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-02, 06:05 PM   #4
SWATProteus
Arsonist

cough cough,

we still need a few days but please leave us a post hehe

Woo

Give a man a match he can stay warm for a day... set a man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.
SWATProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-02, 06:12 PM   #5
MagicMorpheus

I'm willing to wait bececause I have tremedous confidence on all who worked the project.
MagicMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-02, 07:49 PM   #6
multi
Thanks for being with arse

you know u can count me in

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-02, 02:22 AM   #7
Merijn

That UI looks very nice and simple - great job! I didn't know Napster clients could be this simple.

Merijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-02, 03:37 AM   #8
-Huize-

woohooo

well lets see what it can do
Old 27-08-02, 10:54 AM   #9
SWATProteus
Arsonist

Default Developers channel

We have opened a developers channel for this project and encourage any and all people interested to contact us their as well.

http://tux-irc.net/chat/chat-orb.html

Woo

Give a man a match he can stay warm for a day... set a man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.
SWATProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-02, 05:53 PM   #10
Mowzer
'

I am not selling my oppinions and nobody is buying, but I did want to say though, I think the idea and program is very good, its good to see napsterites coming together to build better p2p apps.

But god could you make the UI look any worse? I hope thats just the alpha. In the screen shot its terrible. Plain awful.

Its the kind of interface design that makes you want to keep your time using the program to a minimum.

Simple is good yes, but it looks like you have all been sucessful at one thing. Making simple look awful.

The name is good, but please make up your minds and pick a style. Apple candy look or Windows xp teletubbie.
If your using XP's icons make sure they do the same thing in your app as they do in windows.

Don't segment a users desktop, if your app is performing a unique function, make sure the app has a unique icon that represents it.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-02, 08:58 PM   #11
alphabeater

ethen:

i'm fond of the some of the xp 'look' myself (well, just the icons.. note i don't use the oversized title bars and so on). blue is pretty and full-time xp users with green start buttons will likely use that skin, but rest assured it won't be the only one.

we plan to include at least black and white (winmx/napster style) and later let people design their own skins too.

what would you like simple to look like?
Old 28-08-02, 07:42 PM   #12
LiteOrb
Just4Fun

cool name will keep an eye out for you.
best of luck
Old 29-08-02, 01:34 AM   #13
Mowzer
'

"What would you like simple to look like?"

Miss Alpha,

I decided to illustrate that simple doesnt always mean barren and lots of space. It can mean an Inductive UI too that still maintains simplicity visually and in fucntion.

I rushed through throwing that together for ya, so lots of errors and mistakes. If you check out some UI design material you will uncover them Now that I look over my sample design again, it looks pretty awful too.

You can use XP icons and still have uniqueness to em. You have aqua blue tabs and xp icons which means segmented. I think making it themeable or skinable is good.

Play around a bit do many, many prototypes as you feel are needed, either way I am sure you will come up with something really amazing.

Always remember once you have a idea of what your happy with once you make changes, never add a new design feature untill you take one current design aspect out. Thats how all good UI's are achieved.

Chrome has been popular lately, Various linux apps, microsofts Msn8 and media player 9, Nividas dvd player, M$ Office.net, plus not to mention a zillion chrome skins for diffrent mp3 players and xp desktops. I should have done the above in chrome. If I had to change parts of the example, I would change allot. About the only thing I like is the "Transfers" icon. Anyway, I just wanted to give you the other side of simple through Inductive UI.

I could go on and on about UI design, and all the complex rules and tricks. Instead I recommend you head to http://www.uiweb.com and read up. Its the definitive design resource for UI's. Check out the annotated design links section.

You will find a link to a good Inductive UI guide from microsoft there too. It will show you what inducitve user interface design is about, and take you through the design process with examples from many of micrsofts own projects like Money 2003.

You also might want to join Chi-web or sigia mailing lists if your intrested in UI design. Thats pretty much the internet hub for designers to share ideas. I think apples UI mailing list is Phi. But don't see the link listed. Allot of the big design gurus post and can give feedback. Like Ron Impas. He designed the Icon style used in xp. (Luna "the sea of blue" was headed up by another designer.)

Any way, Looking forward to seeing the final program. Keep working at it

Remember a good design takes tons of prototypes (on paper or in photoshop, theres tons of methods) before it even begins to reach its potential. Not to mention lots of time.

Last edited by Mowzer : 29-08-02 at 03:59 AM.
Old 29-08-02, 03:08 AM   #14
jaan

ethen,

wow.

- jaan
jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-02, 05:35 AM   #15
StereoDeluxe

Quote:
Originally posted by -Huize-
woohooo

well lets see what it can do
Welcome to NU.
are you on Slavanap board?
StereoDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-02, 05:07 PM   #16
alphabeater

ethen:

i have to admit, reading your first post it seemed you were just finding fault for the sake of it, and i responded accordingly. i can see though now that you have lots of good ideas.. thanks for taking the time to show me them.

my main focus is to get the client connecting, chatting, searching and downloading (i didn't sit and design the ui at all, it was just something i threw together while being determined not to use the standard button bar and make it a napster/kazaa clone ui). i do indeed plan to revise the ui over time, and your example looks very nice. it's vaguely reminiscent of the windows xp user accounts screen, but prettier.

as i said, the end plan is to make the client skinnable, not taking it as far as say winamp3 does but being able to change just about all of the colours, graphics and layouts in the client. for a default skin, something close to the looks of shareaza and the simplicity of xolox is my goal.

i'm not out to make a bland client. note that my two examples of good looks and usability are both gnutella servents - all the opennap clients i have seen, winmx, audiognome and the less well-known - use highly deriviative uis, to maintain the spirit of an 'open napster'... something that looks and works like napster, with enhancements. there are enough clients like that around that making another becomes just about pointless.

the screenshot is of an early alpha version, and so it's by no means too late for the default ui to change and my own to become a skin (if it's included at all in the end). if you'd like to help out more in the ui area of the project, then email me at alphabeater@hotmail.com. i'm interested to see and read any more ideas you've got. thanks again.
Old 29-08-02, 11:04 PM   #17
Mowzer
'

"i have to admit, reading your first post it seemed you were just finding fault for the sake of it, and i responded accordingly. i can see though now that you have lots of good ideas.. thanks for taking the time to show me them."

No worries. I was just being honest. I dont go around sugar coating words just to be sure everyone is feeling good about themselves on a forum.

I sent you a PM regarding Orb3.
Old 30-08-02, 05:26 AM   #18
ReD

Creating very graphical and visual intense UI is good but not maybe for a VB app? i dunno but i think too much of a snazzy interface and skinnable properties will increase memory usage alot?

I think UI's should be kept simple and easy to navigate, although many people like graphically intense interface the majority of users will be looking for an app that resembles windows. For ease of use. I suggest if you make skinnable to give choice of 2 skins by default, normal windows type and then maybe a more graphical intese for whoevr wants it.
ReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-02, 05:35 AM   #19
kento
Apprentice Napsterite

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by ReD
Creating very graphical and visual intense UI is good but not maybe for a VB app? i dunno but i think too much of a snazzy interface and skinnable properties will increase memory usage alot?

I think UI's should be kept simple and easy to navigate, although many people like graphically intense interface the majority of users will be looking for an app that resembles windows. For ease of use. I suggest if you make skinnable to give choice of 2 skins by default, normal windows type and then maybe a more graphical intese for whoevr wants it.
good point. also a NICE UI ethen....alphabeater you appear to be a lovely person in your tactfulness and handling of criticism. I admire that. also you and the others working with you on the project orb3 seem to have some really good ideas...please keep up the goodwork and I think/hope that ethen (if he so choses to do so) would make an excellent edition to your "team" of developer's based just on the screenshot he showed...he seems to have the right ideas when it comes to useability/layout feature design...i do hope he will become a part of the orb3 project..

oh and Red i checked out your site. VERY GOOD indeed..your forums were excellent and enjoyable. I too would like the source code for your protocol. please PM me with a link

thanks,

-kento
kento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-02, 06:20 AM   #20
Mowzer
'

Red is right on the point about UI vs. Perfromance.

As I mentioned there were a few errors in the sample UI I posted. One of which is the fact there is too much eye candy going on which causes the experince of actually searching and getting your files to be lost in the fog.

In a screen shot its all very flat. Meaning when the app is actually in use things are excpected to be in motion. Like in any application, with most icons there are mouse overs etc, so when you apply the expected motions to the UI you can see things would get a bit busy.

For every UI there is always a 1000 and 1 possibilites. You have to take into account the basic look, is the UI comfortable on the eyes, being a p2p app its probably gonna be looked at quite a bit, at bit more then say the UI for Installing fax services on xp, or some other obsceure run once app. Secondly how high is the level of useability. Is the UI detracting from the useability of the program. Does the UI hold anyone back? Does an experinced user feel like they are stuck using an app designed for a newbie user? etc.

Lastly how does the UI effect performance of the app.