P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 07-05-02, 01:37 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Question Large or small versions of movies

Most of the movies on FastTrack are under 500mb with around 250 being the norm. eDonkey has mostly 700mb+ versions. Which do you prefer and why?
I don't mind the small version for throwaway films but a big special effects pic deserves higher quality.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-02, 02:10 PM   #2
AYB

I refuse to watch the small ones myself
AYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-02, 02:39 PM   #3
pod
Bumbling idiot

Well, obviously the bigger one are higher quality (higher bitrate). The image itself may look just as good on the small one, but the actual size of the picture will be bigger, so you can go full-screen with no problems. 534 (or something like that) and up (640 and 712 are common widths as well) is pretty standard for a 700mb file and you can throw it on a VCD. Finally, the smaller ones are usually ASF files, which tend to get terrible audio sync problems, either due to crappy encoding, the players or the format itself.

Standard movies (~2 hours) will usually come on 1 or 2 cds (700mb+ files). At 2 cds you're looking at pretty good picture quality (few artifacts) and good sound, maybe even an AC3 track.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-02, 02:45 PM   #4
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Quote:
Originally posted by AYB
I refuse to watch the small ones myself
Same here. If I can't get one around 700mb, I skip it.
Old 07-05-02, 03:12 PM   #5
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

usually the under-500mb ones are camcorder recordings, where speed (getting it from the theatre to the net) is more important than quality.

the 650mb and above are usually rips of DVDs/VCDs etc, months or years after cinema release.

I just can't take the cams and go for the rips, but then I got DSL; for others I guess there'll always be a place for smaller files.

Also I go for the rips coz I usually only d/l movies that crashed my PC when I rent them on DVD. F#k Hollywood if they're gonna press sh1tty discs!

I just wish people would make sure to mention when it's a cam so I could avoid it. (I got tricked once assuming a 630mb file was rip; instead I got perspective, sync trouble and Chinese/Malay subtitles & chitchat).

But it will all be better soon with the help of Sig2Dat, FastTrack's P2P Movies and FastTrack Central... until Sharman screw things up again at least.
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-02, 03:36 PM   #6
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Quote:
Originally posted by twinspan

the 650mb and above are usually rips of DVDs/VCDs etc, months or years after cinema release.

Evidently you don't use the same edonkey that I use. I get the movies there almost as soon as they are released in theaters. Not all of them that soon after release, but if they aren't there right away, its not long before they are there.
Old 07-05-02, 03:38 PM   #7
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Did that make sense?
Old 07-05-02, 03:41 PM   #8
AYB

Aye I've noticed a lot of "DVD Screener" rips around, nice quality with a handy little "this is only for official screenings" (or such like) message
Old 07-05-02, 04:31 PM   #9
HaXor
Convict: 1337

I have not had any problems with movies about 150mb etc... I know the quality aint gonna be great, but its not bad for a movie like, say "attack of the clones" which aint out yet, at least its watchable. But if the movie is out, its best to get a dvd rip.

One thing I have noticed though, is that the quality of my movies depend on what graphics card I use.
My "Geforce" is shit at movies, too blocky especially on cam jobs, but with my "ATI" the quality is far better, blocks are almost unoticable.

But at the end of the day, can WE complain? are we paying for theses movies? - just be greatfull for what you get - I am.

H@Xor
Old 07-05-02, 05:09 PM   #10
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawn
Did that make sense?
As much as it ever does, dear...

(OK go ahead and spank me now... I deserve it )
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 07:21 AM   #11
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

Quote:
Did that make sense?
well it confused me. (not that THAT takes much )

are you saying that as soon as the movie is out in the cinema/"theeder", you're finding 650MB DVD rips on eDonkey???

Damn, I'm impressed, I should run the Donk more often.
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 07:59 AM   #12
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Yep, and sometimes even before its released
Old 08-05-02, 12:44 PM   #13
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Big Laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by BuzzB2K

(OK go ahead and spank me now... I deserve it )

Old 08-05-02, 01:04 PM   #14
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:

Thank You... May I have another?
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 05:37 PM   #15
AYB

While they're being handed out...
Old 08-05-02, 09:06 PM   #16
napho
Dawn's private genie

These are a few that are out on eDonkey. Spiderman is 2gb.

napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 09:56 PM   #17
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Thumbs up

At napho's suggestion, I just tried Direct Connect. I must say I am impressed! I've found most all the movies I was after in the large size, and the download speeds are incredibly fast compared to Edonkey. For instance, I was getting Blade 2 on Edonkey at around 10 kb; on Direct Connect it's coming in at 51 kb.

Great program so far.
Old 09-05-02, 03:13 AM   #18
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

I guess it depends on how soon you want it. Depending on how many sources I get, the smaller ones on FastTrack I can download within an hour or 2. The quality isn't all too bad as long as you don't watch it in full screen. You can also always choose "fit to screen" in media player and keep increasing the size until it's close to the point where it's no longer tolerable. I guess for movies with a lot of special affects and fast camera scenes then you might want to get a better quality version.

Although, with some p2p programs it is a little disappointing when it takes maybe a day or more to download a movie only to find out that it sucked. Basically, if I like a movie then I start searching for better copies or make my way to the theatres. I guess I consider the smaller ones like a preview without much invested time. Although, I find eDonkey great for when I want to collect high quality rips....good things are worth waiting for.

Quote:
I just tried Direct Connect
DC can be nice as long as you find someone fast to download from. A lot of broadband user especially cable modems have an upload cap so usually get around 10-12kb. What makes it worst is that many hubs require that you share more then one upload slot and for users like me who have upload caps our bandwidth is further divided so that users upload at about 3-4kb from me. On the average the users I download from are in the same situation, but I have been lucky a few times. What hub are going into Dawn? It's nice to find a hub with a lot of T1 and T3 lines
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 04:45 PM   #19
ranger121
Vos vestros servate, meos mihi linquite mores.

Tick auto-connect at startup and put Tracadie.dns2go.com as the address.

Quite a few T1 & T3 people hang here (or have been the last few days)

Old 09-05-02, 05:30 PM   #20
AYB

Use (if you're not already) DC++ available from http://sourceforge.net/projects/dcplusplus/

It's an open source direct connect client and far superior in almost all ways to the official one. It lets you connect to multiple hubs simultaneously for one thing, and supports multisource downloading (altho it can't really handle anything that doesnt have the same filename in my experience).

The only thing to note is that for some reason hub admins don't like ppl using DC++ (despite them using non official versions of the hub software) so make sure you enter (under personal information) a Description, bcoz if its blank DC++ identifies itself and ur liable to get kicked