P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 11-09-03, 10:01 AM   #1
Cats Whiskers

Unhappy Is it the UK to?

I have been using Kazaa lite for months and I have read all the reports on here about the RIAA..........can any of you lovely people tell me....are they only monitoring the USA or is it the UK and world wide? I dont have that many music files on my computer because she is getting on in age and hasnt got the capacity..last count was 53. Just wondering if I should watch my back the last thing I need is the police crashing through the front door, not enough coffee mugs to go round.....

Many thanks
Cats Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-03, 10:10 AM   #2
JackSpratts

at the moment the problem areas are america, australia, sweden and spain. the uk groups are pondering lawsuits and prosecution but have yet to do so. welcome to our world cats whiskers.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-03, 10:16 AM   #3
Cats Whiskers

Thanks JS, Only just found you all...what a great site.
Cats Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-03, 09:59 AM   #4
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Smile

It seems that the UK and Australia music industries don't plan to follow the US example of suing their customers.

Newmediazero:
Quote:
UK unlikely to sue P2P file sharers after US backlash
Yinka Adegoke

The UK and international music trade bodies have said they're unlikely to follow US colleagues in suing individuals for copyright infringement, following early signs of a media backlash in the US.

This week the Record Industry Association of America (RIAA) fulfilled long- running threats to sue heavy users of file-sharing services who exchanged copyrighted material for free, and served notice to 261 individuals, including young children and some pensioners. There have already been accusations of heavy-handedness from some sections of the US media.

Plans for similar actions here are described as unlikely by the British Phonographic Industry and the International Federation of Phonographic Industry (IFPI), but they refused to completely rule them out.

Allen Dixon, general counsel and executive director at IFPI, said the RIAA's action was 'entirely understandable' after several months of warnings to P2P providers, ISPs and users, but that the US market was a special case. 'At the moment we haven't any plans to bring these kind of actions as we're concentrating on educating users,' he said.

Andrew Yates director-general at the BPI, took a similar stand: 'It's a huge problem but we need to promote the legal services in the UK.'

However, some observers believe the industry is simply holding back until the implementation of the European Copyright Directive later year. This is believed to give the record companies more latitude to take legal action against offenders.

Ian Brown, director of the Federal Institute for Policy Research, said European citizens will be next in line if the directive comes into force as written.

'It's unlikely the music industry, which has been lobbying to get the powers to sue anyone thought to infringe intellectual rights, will get those powers and then not do anything with them,' he said.
news.com.au:
Quote:
ARIA: We won't sue
Nui Te Koha (Herald Sun)
September 10, 2003

AUSTRALIAN record companies will not follow US leads and sue music file sharers.

The Recording Industry Association of America took court action against 261 Internet music file sharers yesterday.

It also announced an amnesty program for file sharers to confess to sharing music illegally.

Late yesterday, the Australian Recording Industry Association said it would not follow suit.

That decision comes amid research figures that show 3.4 million Australians illegally downloaded music over a recent six-month period. Last year, music sales fell by 8.9 per cent, from $629 million to $573 million.

The ARIA anti-piracy unit's Michael Speck said its web surveillance program was adequate enforcement. ARIA has worked with Internet service providers on copyright since 1997.

"We have been successful in identifying targets and dealing with them one way or another," Mr Speck said.

"We rarely find an Internet infringer who wants to argue the point. There is no grand philosophical debate about their right to be around.

"The minute we identify them, they disappear."

Mr Speck said the RIAA's actions "should not be seen as controversial in the least".

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-03, 10:32 AM   #5
JackSpratts

australia’s situation is cloudy. for pr purposes at least the decision for now is against american-style lawsuits, but that does not mean file sharers are off the hook. indeed several individuals are facing actual prison time and there is a massive case moving through the courts pitting sony and others against the universities. in some ways the worst place to be for a file sharer is oz. were it not for the fact that most australian’s are pretty comfortable with the insides of a slammer, life on the continent might be kind of grim right now.

- js.
Old 12-09-03, 10:40 PM   #6
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Default so its come to this...

im ready for them..!

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-03, 10:59 AM   #7
JackSpratts

multi, you're practical and stylish.

- js.
Old 13-09-03, 11:43 AM   #8
naz
-

British law requires a search warrant issued by a judge in order to mount a prosecution as far as I've read. So, while the BPI might see you sharing copyrighted material, they can't prove it until a warrant physically removes the pc for examination. Unlikely, I'd say.
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-03, 12:00 PM   #9
JackSpratts

this just in...

we can now add germany to the list. a tough new copyright law is going into effect this weekend that can put file sharers behind bars for three years. it also allows fines of 250,000 dollars. more details in wir.

"The German Music Publishers’ Association said the amendment would finally spell an end to the long wait for copyright protection and said it expected that 'the illegal copying of music would now be pursued seriously.' "

"viciously" is more like it.

ah germany...what can one say.

- js.