P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 12-08-03, 02:19 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default A New Interview With WinMX Developer

Slyck gets the interviews before any other site.

WinMX, and its enormous resource of multi-media files, remains one of the largest P2P networks. Its userbase, which equaled Napster during mid 2002, maintains a diversity of mp3 files that easily surpasses FastTrack. Since the network architecture has been changed with subsequent versions, estimating the population is no longer possible. FastTrack retains the P2P crown only because of its sometimes-questioned ability to report its userbase.

While mp3s may be WinMX's forte, its wide collection of video files has added to this network’s resourcefulness. Although this aspect takes a backseat to its music library, it never the less plays an important part in WinMX's lengthy popularity.

Few networks rival WinMX’s longevity, as it has existed since mid-2000. It has survived once great networks such as Napster, Scour, CuteMX and AudioGalaxy, and will most likey outlast the RIAA's current tirade.

We would like to thank Kevin Hearn, president of FrontCode Technologies, who took the time out to answer our questions.

Slyck.com: What affect has the RIAA's threats had on development of version 4.0? Will the client be modified in any way?

WinMX: I can't comment on this issue beyond stating that our user's needs and the feedback they send us is always a primary factor when we design and improve our software.

Slyck.com: Some networks such as the Manolito P2P (Piolet, Blubster) are relying less, or not at all, on a central host server. Does FrontCode plan to eliminate or reduce the need for a host server?

WinMX: The current caching system doesn't rely on a single host cache and we feel is quite robust. However, we do have several alternatives that are ready for action should there be a need. But for our purposes the current system is more than adequate at this time.

Slyck.com: I understand that estimating the population of WinMX is difficult, if not impossible. However, we have seen some marginal losses from FastTrack. Has there been any noticeable decrease in downloads of the WinMX client or its population?

WinMX: There have been no significant changes in the pattern of traffic on Winmx.com in the past few months.

Slyck.com: Of course, no interview would be complete without asking for estimated release date. Your thoughts?

WinMX: I hesitate to give an estimation of how much longer it's going to take. There are many new features in the next version that we've already completed, but there are many others that we're still working on that could take a while. Anything that we carried over from the v3.x series had to be totally re-written to fit into the new architecture, which was also very time-consuming.

I'm hell-bent on getting this one right, and we're being very careful and not rushing things. I think it will be well worth the delay in the end.

All that being said, I'll give a very rough estimate of late October for WinMX v4.0 beta 1.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 06:02 PM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Fruity

WooHoo!!!!

Just in time for trick or treat!!!

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 08:47 PM   #3
pod
Bumbling idiot

Default Re: A New Interview With WinMX Developer

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
WinMX: I can't comment on this issue beyond stating that our user's needs and the feedback they send us is always a primary factor when we design and improve our software.
I hate to ask the obvious question, but how did these WinMX users send feedback exactly?
pod is offline   Reply With Quote