P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 09-11-08, 09:03 AM   #41
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicobie View Post
The real question is how many seats will the bureacraps pick up in the House and Senate. As they already are responsible for the shape our country is in, I wonder if the electorate even noticed.

That was the more important issue in this election. As expected, voters rewarded the Democrats for driving congress' approval rating to an all-time low by expanding their majority. Change (oh yes, there will be change) will be driven by the most radical left-wingers in congress, not by the supposedly centrist president Obama. Only time will tell if Obama turns out to be a gutless rubber stamp yes-man or a leader, but my guess is we won't see Obama the leader until near the end of his first term. By then the Dems will have shown their true colors, and the new Republican majority in the 112th senate will prove that the kind of change the Dems want isn't what the people want. When either party has such a monopoly on the government they can't help but make things worse.

Lord, protect president Obama. Only you know how bad it would be if Biden should become president.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 09:21 AM   #42
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
By then the Dems will have shown their true colors, and the new Republican majority in the 112th senate will prove that the kind of change the Dems want isn't what the people want.[/i]
care to put some money on that?

if it's possible, the 2010 maps look even worse for the GOP than 2008.

edit: you are grossly underestimating Obama and Co. if you think they have not studied the mistakes of the first Clinton administration long and hard.

double edit: i love the meme that somehow the country is primarily center-right, being pushed by the vanquished and thoroughly repudiated GOP, and thier cheerleaders like yourself. the GOP is now a regional party - let's see how long they have to wander in the wilderness before they come to grips with that.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 11:35 AM   #43
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

This thread is titled Election Predictions, not Election Wagers. Start a new thread if you're looking to make some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
i love the meme that somehow the country is primarily center-right, being pushed by the vanquished and thoroughly repudiated GOP, and thier cheerleaders like yourself. the GOP is now a regional party - let's see how long they have to wander in the wilderness before they come to grips with that.
2008 election results:
Name:  election2008.png
Views: 5348
Size:  94.5 KB
Yes, the Republicans clearly have no continuity or reach anymore.

Quote:
you are grossly underestimating Obama and Co. if you think they have not studied the mistakes of the first Clinton administration long and hard.
Excuse me? What have we been hearing over and over for the last eight years? Something about absolute power and what it does?
Old 09-11-08, 02:45 PM   #44
theknife

Quote:
This thread is titled Election Predictions, not Election Wagers. Start a new thread if you're looking to make some money.

2008 election results:
Yes, the Republicans clearly have no continuity or reach anymore.
yeah, but those red areas are fly-over country...thinly populated, perhaps exactly the kind of wilderness/desert areas that soul-searching Republicans are doomed to wander about for the foreseeable future, trying to find their way back into the hearts of mainstream America
Old 09-11-08, 07:17 PM   #45
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

You can hardly claim that the Democrats trounced the Republicans with a mere 52% of the popular vote. The 57.4 million who voted for McCain are far too many to be considered to be on the fringe of American politics. The reason they live in thinly populated fly-over country because they grow the food and mine the minerals and fuels that keep city dwellers like you and me fat and happy. They also supply the majority of military personnel. Be glad they don't hold people like you in the same regard as you hold them, else those red areas might decide to close their borders and the military might decide to go on strike. You can breathe easy, red-state Americans are much too patriotic to do such a thing, but I wouldn't take them for granted if I were you.
Old 09-11-08, 07:55 PM   #46
theknife

Quote:
You can hardly claim that the Democrats trounced the Republicans with a mere 52% of the popular vote. The 57.4 million who voted for McCain are far too many to be considered to be on the fringe of American politics. The reason they live in thinly populated fly-over country because they grow the food and mine the minerals and fuels that keep city dwellers like you and me fat and happy. They also supply the majority of military personnel. Be glad they don't hold people like you in the same regard as you hold them, else those red areas might decide to close their borders and the military might decide to go on strike. You can breathe easy, red-state Americans are much too patriotic to do such a thing, but I wouldn't take them for granted if I were you.
no, actually, it's just the right-wing ideologues and the American Taliban (aka evangelicals) factions that i find detestable - i'm ok with the rest of red America. and i agree, it was strictly an electoral trouncing, not a popular one.

that being said, the meme that 1)the electorate is really just yearning for the GOP to return to their conservative roots and 2)when they do, they'll be swept back into power is more than a little silly and not borne out by any post-election polling data whatsoever. now more than ever, Americans are painfully aware of government's place in their lives and they voted with the expectation that government should do more, not less. the election was not about making government bigger - it was about making government more competent. check your ideology at the door, red america - we're all in this together.
Old 17-11-08, 01:28 AM   #47
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
now more than ever, Americans are painfully aware of government's place in their lives and they voted with the expectation that government should do more, not less. the election was not about making government bigger - it was about making government more competent.
More competence in government would be great, but if the 111th congress manages to bring its approval rating above 25% I'll be very surprised. The government is the biggest it has ever been, and that's one thing I think the new regime intends not to change.

What people want is a government that compliments our hard work, not one that supplements it. We're going to see if the Democrats received that message or if they're going to pursue the same agenda that lost them their majority in 1994. Their party may have the bigger tent, but it's only a tent in the figurative sense; it's not a shelter against the storm. No, we have to provide for ourselves and for each other. We need to work hard, get educated, save our money, and pay our debts (and a few platitudes from Obama to that effect would do wonders for the economy, despite the disappointment it would cause his proselytes). The government can and should assist, but it can't and shouldn't try do what we can do for ourselves, not while funding a deployed military force and paying down its own debt.
Old 19-11-08, 08:23 PM   #48
Nicobie

Quote:
More competence in government would be great, but if the 111th congress manages to bring its approval rating above 25% I'll be very surprised. The government is the biggest it has ever been, and that's one thing I think the new regime intends not to change.

What people want is a government that compliments our hard work, not one that supplements it. We're going to see if the Democrats received that message or if they're going to pursue the same agenda that lost them their majority in 1994. Their party may have the bigger tent, but it's only a tent in the figurative sense; it's not a shelter against the storm. No, we have to provide for ourselves and for each other. We need to work hard, get educated, save our money, and pay our debts (and a few platitudes from Obama to that effect would do wonders for the economy, despite the disappointment it would cause his proselytes). The government can and should assist, but it can't and shouldn't try do what we can do for ourselves, not while funding a deployed military force and paying down its own debt.

I really have nothing else to add on this subject, and don't think I could say it any better anyway....