P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 30-04-02, 02:21 PM   #1
AYB

Big Laugh Time for another AYB update

Hihi,

Here's another update on the progress on my p2p app. Are you bored yet?

It's got a name but I can't tell you wat it is yet :P~ I registered the domain today but have to wait until we have formed a company and the domain is considered an "official asset". There mite b a webbeh to get u drooling by this weekend Suffice to say the name is so gr8, and I'm allowed to say that bcoz I didn't come up with it, a friend did

Of course the app needs more than just a killer name which will get the slashdot pe0ns wetting themselves. Work is progressing on it, but I'm rite in the middle of exams so I dont have time to give it my full attention. We've been coding it in Java so far but we're having a rethink about whether to do it in .NET for a number of reasons which may interest the technology curious amongst u

Java has the advantages of being cross platform so we can reach more users, and its abstraction and number of prewritten classes help. The downside is designing GUIs in it is horrendous, it's quite slow in terms of finished program speed, and it involves a download of the java runtime environment for windows users, and its never a good thing to rely on third parties to provide software to get your app working.

Only just got .NET today so I've only been able to play with it for an afternoon but it's pretty nice and I've heard good things about it. The advantages are extremely easy GUIs, prewritten classes, and some portability (to FreeBSD, I hear they're writing a runtime environment for linux, but it's not out yet). Disadvantages being a lack of complete portability, and the first time a .NET application is run on a machine it needs to setup some stuff which results in a slight delay. Not really sure about speed. Still a bit of a .NET newbie so excuse me if any of that is wrong

As soon as I can tell you about the webbeh, I shall
AYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-02, 05:01 AM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Thumbs up

Carry On My Wayward Son, There'll Be Peace When You Are Done......................

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote