P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 24-09-02, 03:19 PM   #1
Jadesun
Queen of Sneak

Question Yet Another WinMx Question

OK, I have DSL here at home. I can download my MP3's quick, sometimes getting close to 100 kbs!!

Why is it that when one person downloads from me (say they have DSL or better), they seem to be only receiving like 2 kbs??? That's terrible!! And it often will fall to zero!!

I like to share my files, and when I see someone coming on board to download from me, I let my computer sit idle, (I do no activity) so that they can receive their download that much faster.

I can't see them trying to download from me saying they have cable when they really only have a 14.4 for example.... Well I guess it would explain the slowness, but this happens a lot to people with fast connections.

What can I do on my end to speed up the download for these people, or is the slowness on their end??

I don't want people to start cuttin' me off, I want to be as accommodating to others as I can

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«¸¸©Jadesun¸¸»
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´`'·.¸)`'·.¸)

May each sun find you well

Last edited by Jadesun : 24-09-02 at 03:43 PM.
Jadesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-02, 03:30 PM   #2
zombywoof

First start by checking yer bandwidth throttle. Maybe you have limits set.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-02, 03:36 PM   #3
Jadesun
Queen of Sneak

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar
First start by checking yer bandwidth throttle. Maybe you have limits set.
I do Oscar and here is what my settings are currently at, (default)

Incoming Bandwidth = 15000
Outgoing Bandwidth = 15000

Throttle Process Interval = 200 ms

BW Graph Rolling Avg. Duration = 4 seconds..

Oscar are there better figures to put in there to help people better download from me. Please advise

PS: It tells me to only change them if I am an expert and I tell ya, I'm far from that!!

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«¸¸©Jadesun¸¸»
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´`'·.¸)`'·.¸)

Old 24-09-02, 03:46 PM   #4
zombywoof

I leave the boxes unchecked so I allow max bandwidth I have available. I don't really mess with these settings so I don't have a number per se since everyone's connection speed is different anyway. If you want to throttle bandwidth but not make it unlimited, try raising the value higher and see if that helps.

I guess a rule of thumb would be is if you limit bandwidth, you can open more slots for other uploaders without killing bandwidth where if you open all your bandwidth, you may want to limit the number of upload slots.

Also there is an explanation in the options that describe optimum settings for bw throttle.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-02, 03:52 PM   #5
napho
Dawn's private genie

There are other factors too. Download speeds are much faster than upload speeds. You might have 1MB/128 which means your uploads max at about 15.5 k/sec. If the other person has alot of uls and dls at the time the number would be far lower than that.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-02, 05:13 PM   #6
pod
Bumbling idiot

If you have the bandwidth, your uploads shoudn't be that slow. The bandwidth limits include network bandwidth. Check under settings, the WPNP Network section, and note the outgoing figure. That is included in your bandwidth limit. Whatever's left over goes to upload slots.

And I wouldn't put too much faith into the connection type people choose. I see T1 and cable users getting less than 1kb/s from me all the time.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-02, 06:56 PM   #7
JackSpratts

sounds like you're connected as a primary jadesun. choose "make a secondary connection to the network" instead, and it may do the trick (found on the "winmx peer network" page). also you should limit your outgoing bandwidth to 10,000, not 15,000 or you'll end up killing your downloads too - assuming you have Adsl (1500/128). download bandwidth can and should remain unlimited (unchecked).

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-02, 08:49 AM   #8
Jadesun
Queen of Sneak

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
sounds like you're connected as a primary jadesun. choose "make a secondary connection to the network" instead, and it may do the trick (found on the "winmx peer network" page). also you should limit your outgoing bandwidth to 10,000, not 15,000 or you'll end up killing your downloads too - assuming you have Adsl (1500/128). download bandwidth can and should remain unlimited (unchecked).

- js.
Yes JackSpratts, I am indeed connected as primary connection, I will switch to secondary, I will limit outgoing down to 10000. Hopefully that will make a difference Thanks so much for your help and the others too

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«¸¸©Jadesun¸¸»
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´`'·.¸)`'·.¸)