P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 23-03-02, 06:51 AM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Thumbs up eDonkey to make improvements

Great program but too slow now- this from the creator

Swamp
Donkey Master

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok here is the first state of the network address:

Unfortunately what is happening now is the network is starting to reach its maximum load of users. I had envisioned the network growing in a slightly different way. I had assumed that there would be more isolated pockets of servers and that some servers would be able to handle far more users than about the 5,000 max now. So a temporary solution to the current problems are doing what I suggested here: http://forums.edonkey2000.com/phpBB...c=27814&forum=1

The reason this is important is the following:
Servers get UDP traffic and search requests from every users that know about it.
Each server can only handle X amount of UDP traffic and search requests before it is brought to its knees.
This means that each server can only have so many users that know about that server.
Right now every user tries to know about every server meaning that servers must handle the load of the entire user base something that clearly can't scale very far.
When servers are overloaded not only do they not handle extended search requests but more importantly they don't handle callback requests.
Callback requests happen when a particular user can't accept incoming connections (firewalled) (low ID).
When A wants to talk to B and B is firewalled, A must ask B's server to have B make the connection to A.
So basically when B's server is overloaded no one will be able to talk to B.
This is a big issue since it seems about half the users are firewalled.

I will probably release a few changes to the server soon that will facilitate making subnetworks and handling all the excess UDP traffic.

But the main thing I'm working on now is revamping the entire search protocol. The new protocol will eliminate the need for servers. It should also scale to tens of millions of simultaneous users. Unlike the other fully distributed approaches in use now, you will have access to every connected user's files.

So anyway we do hear your complaints and we are definitely working as fast as we can to fix the problems.
Thanks for hanging in there.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-02, 01:15 PM   #2
Dawn
R.I.P napho 1-31-16

Edonkey always has the large size movies that I'm after. But the slow speed is an issue. If they succeed and hook us up to all the online users at once, that would be the ultimate program.
Old 23-03-02, 03:14 PM   #3
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

eDonkey might be a worthwhile program after they fix this issue. Their slow speeds is pretty much the only thing that is stopping me from using it more.

As of this post the eDonkey forums are down, so napho's link doesn't work. Has anyone tried out the temporary solution?
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-02, 08:21 PM   #4
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Default Re: eDonkey to make improvements

Oops
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-02, 08:58 PM   #5
multi
Thanks for being with arse

What The? damn....upgrades= more spy ware to find?

i dont mind the way donkey works now
but if it needs room to grow ,fair enough
it must only be slow for the BI users coz being on 56k it seems as about as slow as all the others(FSapps) ,depends what u do
while the download is running!
get very big files on donkey but i know it will take weeks when i start them!they all ways ending coming thru quicker than i first try to calculate(eg......mmmm.thatsa biggie got to take 2weeks...duh why not!)but most of the bandwidth must be devoted to the file/s or will constantly get speeds of 0.6k
also the fact u will have maybe at lest 1-2 uploaders seems to affect the d/l speed compared to having none
intelligent download on the bot seems to be help coz it balances out the upload /download (hence the bad speeds for BI users)

if it aint broke dont fix it

as the gnuttella and ol fast track regain ground after reshuffling
recently they prolly wont have such a problem w/ it starting to reach its maximum load of users........
dont like the sound of the new search protocol@all
as a recent thread will testify edonkeys latest upgrade modified my winsock but thinking it could of been the share reactor patch now, well lots of popus to get rid of now when it starts

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-02, 08:45 AM   #6
Smoketoomuch
freak

Quote:
as a recent thread will testify edonkeys latest upgrade modified my winsock but thinking it could of been the share reactor patch now, well lots of popus to get rid of now when it starts
sorry for hear that - especially that i advocated sharereactor patch so much

Those popops are getting on my nerve also. Solutions that might work:
http://www.napsterites.net/undergrou...&threadid=9783

Also, if I knew that sharereactor (or any other direct links to donkey) can work in Opera, I would not have been interested in sharereactorpatch in the first place - not with Opera's excellent built in refuse popup windows option. If you use Opera, here is what to do to enable links from shareactor>

http://my.opera.com/forums/showthrea...=7888#post8804