P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 14-03-02, 10:51 PM   #1
snowman

Tongue 1 musiccity's new web site; launched tonight

MusicCity's new web site got lauched tonight. Check it out.

www.musiccity.com & www.streamcastnetworks.com

What do you know ... they reused the old logo that is on my only remaining business card! and you can even buy a t-shirt. Got to get one of those for sure. To bad clicking on the logo does not play that tune about building the city.

What is old is new and old and new again .. anyway you get the idea. Next they will want a streaming audio site again for emerging artists. This site is more like the one that was the original Intermuse.com, and then InfiniteMusic.com and MusicCity.com till April 2000 for you new comers to the trilogy.

They even tell us why Morpheus went dark if you read the fine print. ( hint: caused my an upgrade to 1.5 not an attack as previously reported, from streamcastnetworks site press release )

Anyway, its kind of neat actually. Shows somebody spent some quality time on it. The Rebol ( www.rebol.com ) enabled Morpheus ought to be pretty cool when they finaly get around to releasing it.

Still missing the www.filmscity.com & the www.e-bookcity.com sites though.

snowman.
Old 14-03-02, 11:44 PM   #2
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Morpheus has been the world's number one downloaded software since May of 2001. The Morpheus user network has over 60 million users worldwide.
Quote:
To date, Morpheus has been downloaded nearly 70 million times and averages 4.5 million unique users daily. This makes Morpheus the most popular P2P software product ever.
These are some rather disingenuous statements they are making concerning the number of users. The bulk of these numbers represent the FastTrack Client, not the "Gnu" Morpheus PE.

They talk like all their users are patiently waiting for Morpheus 2 to be introduced and are happily keeping themselves busy with the PE release in the meantime.

[opinion]I know I am speaking for more then one user when I say I have already dismissed StreamCast as irrelevant and MusicCity Morpheus nothing more then an interesting footnote to the greater P2P story.[/opinion]
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-02, 12:17 AM   #3
snowman

Unhappy Yup

I would tend to agree with you. The whole thing seems to be in a world of its own. Like they think that just because 65 million people downloaded FastTracks software with Morpheus labeled on it and it pointed to a Morpheus web site on it they somehow have a hold on them. Just look at how fast people found a new P2P package last week.

This market place is far too dynamic for that to be a reality. Product loyalty simply does not seem to exist in this space. How can there be loyalty to something that was free? This is not a market concept that I know of.

Who is loyal to free beer? Besides wanting it is there a brand you can think of that is free?

Only way you keep a customer is by making them very happy. Morpheus PE is not doing this as far as I can tell in the reviews. Since they killed off the forums there really is no way to judge popular opinion.

V2.0 better be the killer app of P2P or they are toast.

snowman.
Old 16-03-02, 11:36 PM   #4
petriburg

Buzz, Snowman, I heartily agree with you that Morpheus hardly offers any useful features. I downloaded the "new" preview edition (preview of what?), and was utterly disappointed with the pesentation, and even more so the results. Thus it was that PE dwelt upon my computer for less than 48 hours (I've plenty of disc space and ditto RAM, but none available for programs which are useless to me). In that time, Morpheus delivered none of the songs I'd been looking to download.
This begs the question: with what do I replace what was previously my principal p2p program? WinMX is one which I use from time to time, but even with NapMX to load the servers, MX can still be mighty frustrating with its queueing and other "wait for your turn" devicess. Then there's AudioGalaxative - when I tried downloading its satellites, it gave Ad-aware indigestion and a mild heart attack! (Is there a clean version of Galaxy around? I can't remember seeing one in the forum). Friends who are using AudioGalaxy report excellent results. And recent reports inthe forum indicate BearShare being productive.
So, if you had to pick one p2p program of those currently available, what would it be?

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-02, 12:08 AM   #5
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Smile FastTrack

Myself I'm kind of hooked on FastTrack. In fact at this moment I have 4 different FastTrack clients loaded

Grokster, KaZaA, iMesh & Morpheus 1.3.3 - I'm trying to figure out if any real difference between K & G. I'm always seeing opinions that one or the other is faster or uses less resources etc...

I don't really notice any difference between KaZaA & Grokster - a couple of extra buttons in the way in KaZaA - lol

The original Morpheus has a small network that's rebuilt itself - around 40K - 50K users...

It seems that iMesh downloads a little quicker and is more persistent about finding multiple sources...

Like I said I kind of lean towards FastTrack still. Oh and these are all Clean\Spyware Free installs of these programs...
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-02, 02:34 AM   #6
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

1. Many thanks to MusicCity!
    Only through their excellent NOSUPPORT it is possible to have a real independent FastTrack Net.
    iMorpheus - the independent Morpheus FT Net
  2. Since the "correction of user number estimation" in 1.5(.x) FT clients turned out to be a simple (but nevertheless genious) multiplication by 2, i daresay the user number on iMorpheus is 100 k growing
indy
btw. anybody here, using the kazaa client for Linux to connect to FT net?
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-02, 07:40 AM   #7
goldie
yea, it's me.

What The?

that <sus> icon is a lovely replacement for handwritten comments of displeasure

Is it possible to run Grokster 1.3.3 (neutered) and Morpheus 1.3.3 on the same com or will the two cause conflicts amongst each other and overwrite the others files?

I'm curious about the old Morph pulling a pheonix but I uninstalled Morph before installing Grokie.

TIA

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-02, 12:31 PM   #8
Smoketoomuch
freak

Quote:
Originally posted by petriburg
Buzz, Snowman, I heartily agree with you that Morpheus hardly offers any useful features. I downloaded the "new" preview edition (preview of what?), and was utterly disappointed with the pesentation, and even more so the results. Thus it was that PE dwelt upon my computer for less than 48 hours (I've plenty of disc space and ditto RAM, but none available for programs which are useless to me). In that time, Morpheus delivered none of the songs I'd been looking to download.
This begs the question: with what do I replace what was previously my principal p2p program? WinMX is one which I use from time to time, but even with NapMX to load the servers, MX can still be mighty frustrating with its queueing and other "wait for your turn" devicess. Then there's AudioGalaxative - when I tried downloading its satellites, it gave Ad-aware indigestion and a mild heart attack! (Is there a clean version of Galaxy around? I can't remember seeing one in the forum). Friends who are using AudioGalaxy report excellent results. And recent reports inthe forum indicate BearShare being productive.
So, if you had to pick one p2p program of those currently available, what would it be?
I moved on from morpheus to eDonkey combined with edonkeyBot. I never dreamed of such file availability while using morph. - this is true for mainly movies and softwares (which are full iso copies usually, not rips).

And sharereactor website is just excellent. Some say, that donkey is not as good for music as for other stuff. However, the trick is, to search for "any" when looking for music rather than just mp3, since many users zip complete albums in one file. And the music section on sharereactor.com is the fastest growing selection. In january, there were only a few songs, now each day there is a new album online. And sharing spirit is excellent (there is no - and can't be - tradeonly syndrome), users going to an extent to make one archive of full albums, and the likes (which was also something that fasttrack network was not very good at - it is impossible to be a leech on the donkey). Now it is my all-purpose p2p app, and I rarely find the need (well, at least for now, I don't find at all) to use other p2p, since as far as availability of material goes, there is hardly any p2p network that offers something I cannot find on the donkey. (of course, this might depend on what you are looking for)

edit>

I'm inclined to try out iMorpheus - it has great possibilities - needs popularization, better leech control to ensure great availability, but I see many devoted people (like AYB's thread about dat format, Indy, etc.) working on it... I kinda like the idea of a truly independent filesharing network.