P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 25-03-02, 07:29 AM   #1
tiz

Question Zipped mp3's

Just downloaded a full album that was a zip file. I unzipped it, using Winzip (or think I did!), but can't seem to get it to play!!! What am I doing wrong? As you can gather, I'm no expert!!!!

Any help, greatly appreciated!
tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-02, 08:03 AM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink Re: Zipped mp3's

Welcome aboard tiz, enjoy your stay on Napsterites!

Quote:
Originally posted by tiz
Just downloaded a full album that was a zip file. I unzipped it, using Winzip (or think I did!), but can't seem to get it to play!!! What am I doing wrong? As you can gather, I'm no expert!!!!

Any help, greatly appreciated!
First of all: was the zip file uncorrupt (no error messages when opening it)?

If there were no errors, was the zip file of realistic size, say 40-100 MB for a full album?

If yes, do you find the unzipped files from your hard disk with Windows Explorer? If not, extract the zip file again with WinZip and see into which folder you are extracting the stuff. Then locate them with Windows Explorer and make sure they are mp3 files if that is what they are supposed to be. If yes, try double-clicking them from Windows Explorer.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-02, 03:51 PM   #3
tiz

Say Wha?

Thanks for the reply - us girls must stick together - we have brains too!!! (except me on this one!)

Well, yes done all you mentioned. File d/loaded to "My Music" folder and I unzipped it and put it back there (zip file is there as well) - no error messages, size is credible (about 50mb). I'm downloading from Audiogalaxy and the file is "(Name of artist & Album) complete album Zip File.mp3."

When it unzips, it says it's an mp3 and when I double click or transfer to Musicmatch Jukebox, it takes an eternity and then finally no sound. Wonder if it was a real zipped file to start with? Though when I tried it to start with there was no sound! Gosh sorry - verbal diahorea!!!(not sure on spelling there!).

Not sure if I've got to abandon that one! Downloading another at the minute and well on the way to the end - see if the same happens! Wonder if it's not really a zip file and I've messed it up trying to unzip it - though I did also try and rename the file from ".zip" to ".mp3" - that didn't work either.

Thanks

By the way, how do I get the moving icons on my message - when I click - nothing happens!

Tiz
Old 25-03-02, 05:35 PM   #4
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Are we talking about one big mp3 file? That might cause memory (or some other) problems on MusicMatch. Have you tried playing it with another mp3 player like WinAmp or Windows Media Player? If it does not play in other players either it might be a bad file.

As for the moving icons (=smilies), you need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser to pick them from the Smilies list.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-02, 06:09 PM   #5
JackSpratts

hi tiz, welcome to napsterites! hope you like the place.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-02, 11:15 PM   #6
HAL9000

Hello tiz,

Maybe I missed something? I download full albums from audiogalaxy. comes in "<file name here>.mp3" then rename it to "<file name here>.zip". unzip, you'll see mp3 files inside and maybe a playlist.m3u, extract to folder you want. I haven't seen full track continuous mp3 file inside zip yet. (i guess they could pack cue sheet with it)
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-02, 12:36 AM   #7
Mowzer
'

Tiz,

Are your virus definitions up to date?

I would be careful running executables, and zip contents if your not 100% sure that zip is a album.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-02, 08:18 AM   #8
tiz

yayaya mp3's zipped

Thanks for the welcome Jack - I've been reading for awhile - great advice when needed.

Thanks Tank Girl - Java already enabled - no joy with smilies!!!!! What do you do - just left click on them, double click or what!!!!!!!!!! Very minor problem, but the little problems can be the most irritating!

Hi Ethen! Yes I do try and keep my DAT files up to date and did run myvirus checker (McAfee) on the all files - seemed ok.

Hi Hal! All I received when I unzipped, was the mp3, which wasabout the same size as the zipped file (about 50mb) Do you think I did something to the file? or do you think it's a size thing!!!! - that is to say Musicmatch can't cope, as Tank Girl suggested? Wonder if it's just a duff file. Don't know whether to give up on it. I have another nearly finished downloading - might try that one and see how I go!!

With all the help from you lot, this humble lady is getting better and better at this computer lark! CHEERS (Wish I could put a smillie in!!!)

Tiz

xxxxx
Old 26-03-02, 08:45 AM   #9
Smoketoomuch
freak

Hello Tiz.
Can be what TG says, but if the mp3 is the same size as zip, as HAL9000 suggested, change the extension of the big mp3 to zip, and try to unzip it. As for the smilies: when you write and want to insert one, just simply click on a smilie you want. For instance, when clicking on applauding smilie, you'll see : A P : appearing in your text (without spaces). The smilie will only appear after you posted your message.

Old 26-03-02, 09:14 AM   #10
zombywoof

I don't see much to gain on zipping mp3's or downloading zipped mp3's since the filesize is not going to be much different since mp3's are already compressed. The only thing useful I can see with using zip files is to pack a bunch of singles together into a zip file, but then that would not be a real rip of a full cd anyways. You'd be better off downloading individual mp3 files to make up the album or just look for the full cd in mp3 format. You have to wonder if some of these zip files are tested before they are shared. Others here have pointed out though what could have gone wrong with the zip file such as being an invalid zip file, or corrupted when unzipping it, filelengths etc..

Last edited by zombywoof : 26-03-02 at 09:46 AM.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-02, 10:30 AM   #11
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

I think the whole point of the zips on AG was to bunch all the tracks in one file (save having to find and d/l each one separately) and including the artwork work too if you wanted to print CD labels etc. (i.e. not to compress it even more; as you say, that wouldn't save much space with something already well compressed like mp3s).

Someone recently posted link to article saying that AG had 'barred' the word zip from their search engine, to stop people from doing this, but I guess there are still ways around it.

Respectfully,

Mark Weaver,
Director of Enforcement
MediaForce, Inc.
(212) 925-9997
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-02, 02:41 PM   #12
tiz

Nut

Thanks all for input. I think all I can gather from your info is that the file was bad! I think that I've done every thing suggested - even downloaded Windows Media Player and that actually tells me it is not an mp3!!!

Nearly finished downloading another, see what happens, let you know. If no joy with that, I'll go back to what I normally do, and download each track separately!!!!!

Cheers!

Still can't get these damn smilies to work!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26-03-02, 03:11 PM   #13
napho
Dawn's private genie

There's an Audiogalaxy album downloader.

http://www.dysphoric.com/
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-02, 03:54 PM   #14
tiz

Thumbs up

Hi Napho

Cheers ! Have you used it? Does it work - looks good!

Still can't put these damn smillies on!!!!!!

Bottom of this screen mentions HTML off - anything to with it? If so how do I put it back on? Grasping at straws here!!!!!! Also I'm using Netscape - should I try I Explorer?????

Tiz

Old 26-03-02, 04:05 PM   #15
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by tiz
Hi Napho

Cheers ! Have you used it? Does it work - looks good!

Bottom of this screen mentions HTML off - anything to with it? If so how do I put it back on? Grasping at straws here!!!!!! Also I'm using Netscape - should I try I Explorer?????

Tiz

The smilies are a little shaky when I use Opera so maybe try Explorer. Are you sure the smilies aren't disabled?
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-02, 04:14 PM   #16
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

Re: Album Downloader 1.0 for Audio Galaxy

Pretty interesting looking prog - and there was me still thinking .net was vapourware. doh!
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-02, 06:07 PM   #17
assorted
WAH!

Njah Njah

Quote:
Originally posted by twinspan
Re: Album Downloader 1.0 for Audio Galaxy

Pretty interesting looking prog - and there was me still thinking .net was vapourware. doh!
yah; i'm still hoping it is. sucks that proggie demands it; i'm not installing the .net framework until i absolutely have to.
Old 26-03-02, 06:31 PM   #18
gazdet
.- -.. -- .. -.

Quote:
Originally posted by tiz

Tiz
Tiz,

Make sure you have not disabled smilies as in the picture of the Reply Box below.
gazdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-02, 06:39 PM   #19
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
Originally posted by tiz

Tiz

:D
What version of netscape are you using? 4.7 might have issues with the smilies. Also, I noticed from a previous post you said that you have Java enabled. Do you mean Java or javascript. They are 2 diffrerent things. I believe that you need javascript enabled for the smilies to work. You can always type them in manually but then you would have to memorize all of them....well until you can fix this problem here are all the typed version of the 60 smilies (there are actually 242). They are in correct order so you just have to count and match.

Also you can just type them in your post and click on "preview reply" in oder to see if you have them correct. I don't think the html code off" thing makes a difference because mine is off to.

:) :( :o :D ;) :p :cool: :RE: :uu: :AP: :con: ;( :eek: :m:

:spin: :b: :f: :a: :love: :J: :W: :RS: :BL: :zzz: :hmm:

:no: :att: :MAD: :S: :CG: :er: :help: :ND: :NS: :SH: :sus:

:dir: :beer: :kiss: :doh: :cr: :shk: :LF: :BB: :was: :BP:

:V: :tu: :dz: :eke: :PO: :TS: :TY: :AF: :RI: :FB: :N: :e: :SP:

:rofl:

About your mp3 problem...it might just be that you got a bad file. Not everyone who encodes, rips, compression a file know what they are doing. I've seen this plenty of times from the movies I've downloaded. You can easily see when you are getting something from a "seasoned vetern" or from someone who is just learning. But then again there are users who intentionally screw up files....

Although, if you are having problems with every full album you are downloading then it might be something you are doing wrong. Hopefully, you get this problem solved.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-02, 11:31 PM   #20
petriburg

Hi, Tiz, and welcome from the (I suspect) oldest inhabitant of this board.
It hasn't been said, up to now, so I'm about to do it: you'll get more help, more quickly, from this forum than ever you would from the originators of programs. It's always concise, easy to follow, and what's more, it works.
Enjoy your stay here.

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And you hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on you head -
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"
Lewis Carroll.
petriburg is offline   Reply With Quote