P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 13-03-02, 01:22 PM   #1
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Default Tons of aborted uploads in Grokster 1.5.1

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you are also experiencing a similar behavior with your Grokster 1.5.1...

A lot, or should I say the vast majority of my uploads are aborted after the first 30KB are transferred. See this image as an example:

I am suspecting that this has to do with the problem that sometimes when you connect to the network there will be a large number of simultaneous uploads going on - way more uploads than you have set as a limit. My limit is 3 and I have seen cases where this number is around 10.

Anybody else noticing this aborted upload phenomenon and maybe even know why it's happening and if it can be prevented?

Thanks in advance,
Stoepsel

Last edited by Stoepsel : 16-03-02 at 04:29 AM.
Stoepsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-02, 01:36 PM   #2
fogelbise

i agree with you...i think it is when you first sign on and there are sometimes 20 people immediately latching onto your available files. notice how all the ones at the top didn't get very far(if that is the top)...because too many were trying to get your limited bandwidth at the same time.

if you click on traffic right when you *first* start grokster or kazaa or morph 1.3.3 *before* it turns gray trying to connect, you can see the activity.

after the initial onslaught, and you are down to your normal upload limit, it is still normal to see files that show aborted. some say that those could be aborted because they finished getting the last few bytes of the file from someone else and dropped your connection...or crashed...or got disconnected...
fogelbise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-02, 02:54 PM   #3
Stoepsel

Quote:
Originally posted by fogelbise
notice how all the ones at the top didn't get very far(if that is the top)...because too many were trying to get your limited bandwidth at the same time.
Careful, I had the upload list sorted by transferred bytes... That's NOT in chronological order.

Quote:
after the initial onslaught, and you are down to your normal upload limit, it is still normal to see files that show aborted. some say that those could be aborted because they finished getting the last few bytes of the file from someone else and dropped your connection...or crashed...or got disconnected...
yeah, but it happens sooo often and it's almost always 29KB. I just find it weird and don't remember it happening with Morph 1.3.3...

Oh well, I can live with that. I just worry that somehow I'm pissing others off trying to dl from me and getting them aborted prematurely.

Stoepsel
Old 13-03-02, 06:25 PM   #4
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Default Re: Tons of aborted uploads in Grokster 1.5.1

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoepsel
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you are also experiencing a similar behavior with your Grokster 1.5.1...

A lot, or should I say the vast majority of my uploads are aborted after the first 30KB are transferred...
Anybody else noticing this aborted upload phenomenon and maybe even know why it's happening and if it can be prevented?

Thanks in advance,
Stoepsel
Mine always start with an initial 128K chunk, and either continue at varying speeds or abort.

The first upload in the attached re-connected once before aborting, giving him a second 128K for 256K total.

The third one has re-connected 3 times resulting in 512K, and as you notice by his speed is about to abort.

The smallest amount I have ever seen since back on Morpheus is 128K, never any less, and Grokster has been no different.
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-02, 12:54 AM   #5
Stoepsel

Buzz,

that's exactly what's happening with me here, too. Except that my chunk size seems to be smaller. Maybe the other user can't properly handle the rather large chunks (dial-up perhaps)? And no, this is not a diss against dial-up users...

I left my Grokster running all night and have another image to show you... (this time in chronological order):

Oh well, since some of you are experiencing the same thing, I'm a bit releived, I guess.

Cheers,
Stoepsel

Last edited by Stoepsel : 16-03-02 at 04:30 AM.
Stoepsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-02, 01:23 AM   #6
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

do you have a firewall with incoming port 1214 blocked?

i think if users got disconnected somehow, they cannot easily get reconnected then, except they coincidently relogon to the same supernode as your logon node.

indy

btw. you should update your forum signature, so it shows the exact length - i at last want to dl stoepsel_surprise
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-02, 04:22 AM   #7
Stoepsel

Quote:
Originally posted by indiana_jones
do you have a firewall with incoming port 1214 blocked?
I have Zonealarm Pro running. But if I'm not mistaken (and I can't check right now, but will later), I have Grokster set up to be able to act as server and all that.

Do I still have to allow port 1214 if Grokster is allowed as server?

I will play around with Zonealarm when I get home. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
btw. you should update your forum signature, so it shows the exact length - i at last want to dl stoepsel_surprise
I totally forgot about that. I will get to that today.

Cheers,
Stoepsel
Old 14-03-02, 03:22 PM   #8
fogelbise

if i had looked closer i would have seen it was sorted by file size...there goes my theory.

at second look, it does look unusual...mine in chronological order would look much like your first screen capture when i get all those people latching on during the connection period....but after that the aborted uploads are not as common...you do seem to have a ton of them. sorry i was not more help.
fogelbise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-02, 04:30 PM   #9
indiana_jones
B2B Protagonist ... Life is ... Bubble to Bubble ... Beer to Beer ... love a VLAIBB (Very Lonesome Artificial Intelligence Brained Bubble) @ http://www.geocities.com/vlaibb vlaibb@yahoo.com

found that in the grokster forum
Quote:

http://www.grokster.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/688.html

hi all
I was downloading some of my files fine but now they won't download! They haven't failed or been corrupted as I have checked and they work fine on preview.When I try to connect it appears to be working and scrolls through users but won't download. I contacted the users I was trying to download from and they said that on their screen it came up with me aborting the download which I didn't do.I have downloaded the update for version 1.5.1 but it doesn't seemed to have worked.
Any help will be greatly appreciated
thanks
maybe there is still a bug in the client
UUHash:=1LDYkHDl65OprVz37xN1VSo9b00=

Copy the lines above and use 'Paste from Clipboard' function of
sig2dat 3.11.a (supports quicklinks) to create a startfile for your FastTrack p2p client for safe download

indiana_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-02, 07:44 PM   #10
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

I wonder if this problem is related to something I have been noticing myself. Lately Grokster has been freezing up on me. My computer doesn't freeze up just Grokster. All off my connections stop and then after a few seconds the program unfreezes. Needless to say anyone uploading from me is aborted, but it doesn't happen that often.

Like indy said, this may indeed be a bug in the program. In could also be issues with XP.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-02, 09:01 PM   #11
JackSpratts

all fastrack clients freeze when too many files are shared. just how many seems to depend on the individual users but i'd start there. cut your files by half and see what develops.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-02, 01:22 AM   #12
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
all fastrack clients freeze when too many files are shared. just how many seems to depend on the individual users but i'd start there. cut your files by half and see what develops.

- js.
Hopefully, that's not the case because since I reformated my hard drive before installing XP I'm now only sharing about 50 files. If Grokster is having problems with that small of a number then the program has more problems then I thought. But like you said the number seems to vary from user to user. It also doesn't happen all the time so I can't quit place the problem. I'm going to have to play with it a little more to see what results I'm getting.

Although, when Grokster freezes on me it does abort the uploaders so it could be one of the reasons why stoepsel and others have been getting a lot aborts. The freezes seem to fix themselves within a few seconds so if I leave Grokster on for awhile I wouldn't know how many times it has frozen on me. I'm guessing some of the aborts I'm seeing are due to the freezes....but I could be wrong.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-02, 01:42 AM   #13
Stoepsel

Hi,

I've started increasing the number of files I share from initially around 200 to now 500. I'll try cutting down the number again like Jack suggested.

BTW, I'm running Win2K Pro. I could try and see how Grokster behaves under Win98SE later today.

Until then,
Stoepsel

PS: Indy, here's the new signature for StoepselsSurprise...
Old 15-03-02, 02:26 AM   #14
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

- js.
No freeze-ups (although it will most likely crash anyone trying to "Find more from>User"

BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-02, 05:39 AM   #15
twinspan
- a rascal -

Location: for security reasons, never the same as the President's

I would look at my screen in the morning and see ~90% of uploads aborted at (or close to) 128k (in Kazaa or Kazaa Lite as well as Grokster).

I'm on DSL and figured I could afford to allow lots of simultaneous uploads (say, 20). Once I reduced sim u/l number to around 5, the problem almost completed disappeared, and those u/l's that were happening were at much faster speeds. Now 90% of u/l's are completed. Dunno if that might be relevant in your case.

Sometimes I see u/l'd stalling at 128k, but with the reduced u/l number they usually successfully resume.
twinspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-02, 06:25 AM   #16
Stoepsel

Quote:
Originally posted by twinspan
I'm on DSL and figured I could afford to allow lots of simultaneous uploads (say, 20). Once I reduced sim u/l number to around 5, the problem almost completed disappeared, and those u/l's that were happening were at much faster speeds. Now 90% of u/l's are completed. Dunno if that might be relevant in your case.
Well, it partly applies to me, too. I have DSL, but my upload limit is already at 3 and I still have the problem. Actually, it's not I that has the problem - it's the people that want to dl from me. I just want other people to have less problems with dl'ing from me...

Stoepsel
Old 17-03-02, 03:04 AM   #17
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Going back a while?

JS may remember this thread on the Morph board? I expect TG will as well?

If I remember correctly, wasn't this behavior explained as part of the effect of the multi-sourcing, a file being grabbed from a numbr of diferent users?

I have noticed on Grok, this happen, a short section of a file will upload, suddenly abort, than later re-start, sometimes abort again, then finish, I always assumed it was the multi-download source working correctly.

Some of the evidence in the first list would appear to confirm this?

Snark...
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote