P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 02-08-03, 05:06 PM   #21
goldie
yea, it's me.

Cry waaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Dammit!

I just finished commiting homicide.

The last uninstall was for good.

This program seriously fucked up my comp. I had all sorts of windows system errors and not only that, I also got errors with programs I had no problem with before installing ES5.

Thank god for System Restore!!

Big no-no to whatever that bug was.

goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-03, 02:19 AM   #22
Malk-a-mite

Default Ummm.... no.

Bits in bold are my emphasis.

"You are behind a firewall. You can still use Earthstation 5 but you are deprived of over half the files abvailable. If you can correct this situation, you will have access to many more files. This is not a EarthStation 5 problem, but a situation that exists with ALL File Sharing programs whether they tell you about it or not. You can fix the situation by allowing your firewall to permit/allow all traffic to/from all of the following ports: UDP:22548 TCP:33088 TCP:443 TCP:80 TCP 22821 plus UDP above 1023 and TCP (non-connections) above 1023 or you can tell ES5 to use ports you know are already permitting throught your firewall (Advanced Settings). You can leave this Message up while you correct the situation."

Well for starters I set up the firewall to directly block port 443 and for some reason running a web server I haven't verified as secure seems.... oh, what's the word... dangerous? Yea, that would be the word.

What's next - oh yea, allowing TCP above 1023 for non-connections.... how many people that have figured out the basics of Zone-Alarm level firewalls are going to have the slightest clue what that means? Hell, how many MCSEs will know what that means. In short you're going to have a bunch of near worthless firewalls open (incoming and outgoing at the suggestion of ES5) to every non-static port.

Wheeee - bust out the scanner and nmap, time to run amuck.....

*sigh*
===================

Last edited by Malk-a-mite : 03-08-03 at 12:25 PM.
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-03, 08:31 AM   #23
multi
Thanks for being with arse

this ultra secure program is starting not to sound so secure..

allowing TCP above 1023 for non-connections..?

PORT NUMBERS

(last updated 2003-08-01)

The port numbers are divided into three ranges: the Well Known Ports,
the Registered Ports, and the Dynamic and/or Private Ports.

The Well Known Ports are those from 0 through 1023.

The Registered Ports are those from 1024 through 49151

The Dynamic and/or Private Ports are those from 49152 through 65535

### UNASSIGNED PORT NUMBERS SHOULD NOT BE USED. THE IANA WILL ASSIGN
THE NUMBER FOR THE PORT AFTER YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN APPROVED ###
http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-03, 10:15 AM   #24
JackSpratts

at the end of the day firewalls and serious p2p is cats and dogs, like taking a shower with your clothes on. pick up a cheap used box (doesn't have to be fast) and just put p2p stuff and a big fat drive on it - and run it without a firewall. when you find a new app you just install and go. you'll wonder how you got along w/out it.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-03, 12:21 PM   #25
Malk-a-mite

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
at the end of the day firewalls and serious p2p is cats and dogs, like taking a shower with your clothes on. pick up a cheap used box (doesn't have to be fast) and just put p2p stuff and a big fat drive on it - and run it without a firewall. when you find a new app you just install and go. you'll wonder how you got along w/out it. :ND:

- js.
I would suggest that you mean NAT and P2P are cats and dogs - but we are both approaching this from different backgrounds so it colors how we view things.

How would you get the files from the unsecured box once your P2P app has downloaded them?
===================
Old 03-08-03, 12:48 PM   #26
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by Malk-a-mite

How would you get the files from the unsecured box once your P2P app has downloaded them?
scan 'em and burn 'em.

- js.
Old 03-08-03, 01:04 PM   #27
Malk-a-mite

Quote:
scan 'em and burn 'em.

- js.
Ok - as long as your burning the files to CD.

Otherwise you would need to connect somehow to the secured network. And any sort of trust relationship between the secured and unsecured machine would in 99% of the situations cause both networks to be insecure.
===================
Old 03-08-03, 04:07 PM   #28
JackSpratts

that's right. the unsecured machine is never connected to the secured one. a cheap dvd burner takes care of those really big files too.

an added benefit is that you now have a "sacrificial box" should you find yourself in need of one.

- js.
Old 21-08-03, 03:35 PM   #29
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

the app might be shaky but you gotta love the developer's attitude:

Quote:
In response to the email received today from the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) to Earthstation 5 for copyright violations for streaming FIRST RUN movies over
the internet for FREE, this is our official response!
Earthstation 5 is at war with the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and the Record Association of America (RIAA), and to make our point very clear that their governing laws and policys have absolutely no meaning to us here in Palestine, we will continue to add even more movies for FREE.

theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-03, 03:49 PM   #30
JackSpratts

it's a war i tell ya, a real war!

Earth Station 5 Declares WAR Against the Sex Industry
Press Release

FREE Music, FREE Movies, FREE Software and Now FREE Sex Being Beamed By Earthstation 5 to the Humans for Free

Earthstation 5 today declares war against the sex industry for all the sex located on the internet. "One way to put these sex companies out of business is by giving it away for FREE," said Ras Kabair, president of Palestine based EarthStation 5.

Effective immediately, Earthstation 5 will give away ten FREE sex channels of live sex and the naked news for FREE to the world. There will be no CREDIT cards, no phone dialers, no pop-up ad's, no spyware and there will be no other form of payment required by any user.

Earthstation 5 has grown from a simple P2P network to the largest P2P portal in the world with an average of 11,536,240 simultaneous users online at any given moment of the day or night. Currently, new users are downloading Earthstation 5 software located at http://www.earthstation5.com/ on a average of 500,000 times per day in the 18 languages that Earthstation 5 currently offers.

One-reason users are using Earthstation 5 instead of the other peer to peer (P2P) programs is because of our stealth technology. Other P2P company's claim to have security, but in the end we are the only ones that can't be breached! We wrote our software with security as our top priority. On top of that, all the other P2P companies have to worry about being sued by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and the Record Industry Association of America (RIAA). At the Jenin Refuge Camp, we don't worry about those kinds of problems.
http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/...threadid=17108

well anyway, it makes for an attention grabbing press realese...

- js.
Old 21-08-03, 03:51 PM   #31
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

yup, serving that subpoena in the Jenin Refugee Camp could get a tad sticky
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-03, 04:03 PM   #32
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

So... as someone who knows little about P2P stuff - what are people's opinions of this Earthstation5 thingy?

Worth downloading and using, or worth less than a dried up turd?
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-03, 04:22 PM   #33
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by tambourine-man
So... as someone who knows little about P2P stuff - what are people's opinions of this Earthstation5 thingy?

Worth downloading and using, or worth less than a dried up turd?

Actually dried up turds are considered an aphrodisiac in Asia...or not.
This program doesn't have alot of users so they're tying it in with some ftp's and servers for extra downloads. It has lots of proxies available for extra security so yes, it's worth a try.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-03, 04:47 PM   #34
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
Actually dried up turds are considered an aphrodisiac in Asia...
Really? I guess that makes me a millionaire... what with my sinister collection of dried up turds.
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-03, 08:32 PM   #35
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Unless the DMZ computer has it's own dedicated internet connection, computers on the private LAN are probably networked to the DMZ machine.

Sharing an internet connection (DSL, cable, etc.) to the DMZ machine and other computers via a router, switch, or hub creates a network path between the computers.

As Malk pointed out, there is security risk in networking other computers to a DMZ host.

Having a sacrificial computer is a good idea, but you have to be very careful about designating a computer in a DMZ.

Usually, designating a computer in the DMZ means you have a router and intend to configure this option to pass all ports to the DMZ machine. It would probably be better to configure the router to pass only the ports needed by applications running on the server machine(s).

Manufacturers often include the DMZ option in routers as a stopgap measure to support applications with unusual port requirements.

It can be frustrating at times to get some applications to work behind firewalls, but the added safety (IMO) is worth the effort.

Normally, only ports which require capability for incoming connections need to be configured to pass through a firewall. I have some concerns about ES5 needing all those ports opened.

Edited: Typo

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.

Last edited by Drakonix : 22-08-03 at 03:37 PM.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-03, 11:18 AM   #36
naz
-

More war, this time replete with nerdy Star Trek threatening language.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2003,+06:14+AM

FREE Music, FREE Movies, FREE Software and Now FREE Sex Being Beamed By
Earthstation 5 to the Humans for Free

JENIN, West Bank, Aug. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- In response to the email received today from the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) to Earthstation 5 for copyright violations for streaming FIRST RUN movies over the internet for FREE, this is our official response!

Earthstation 5 is at war with the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and the Record Association of America (RIAA), and to make our point very clear that their governing laws and policys have absolutely no meaning to us here in Palestine, we will continue to add even more movies for FREE.

ES5 (http://www.es5 .com) does not require any signups, registration, credit cards and/or any other personal information to watch the first rate streamed movies like TERMINATOR 3, BRUCE ALMIGHTY, MATRIX RELOADED, etc.

Ras Kabir's warning to the RIAA and the MPAA, "The next revolution in P2P file sharing is upon you. Resistance is futile and we are now in control".

Media Contact:
Ras Kabir, Earthstationv Ltd.

Telephone: 972 673 51065
E-mail: ras@earthstationv.com
http://www.earthstationv .com/
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-03, 12:59 PM   #37
blunt

Default I can't get the damn thing to work!!!

Downloaded the es5 prog, got it up and running, but it wont show me any pages for home, forums, or anything else. Tried to download a file, but after an hour of downloading, still only had 15% of it.
Plus, to cap it all off, I kept losing my internet connection whenever the prog was running. At this rate it would be better to go down to the shops and buy the songs I want.

On kazzaa earlier, I downloaded a Luminee track six times, and each one was corrupted. Finally got a clean one by restricting the user connections, but if this is the future of file sharing...ouch! It was this problem that made me try es5, but I wish I hadn't bothered now.

Is es5 always like this, or am I just having a bad day?
blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-03, 01:37 PM   #38
blunt

Course, I meant 'Lumidee'...
blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-03, 03:12 PM   #39
napho
Dawn's private genie

ES5 runs well for me but there isn't alot of content.
Try the hip hop newsgroups for stuff like Lumidee.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-03, 09:00 PM   #40
cindy
aka harby

Quote:
it's a war i tell ya, a real war!

Earth Station 5 Declares WAR Against the Sex Industry
Press Release

FREE Music, FREE Movies, FREE Software and Now FREE Sex Being Beamed By Earthstation 5 to the Humans for Free

Earthstation 5 today declares war against the sex industry for all the sex located on the internet. "One way to put these sex companies out of business is by giving it away for FREE," said Ras Kabair, president of Palestine based EarthStation 5.

Effective immediately, Earthstation 5 will give away ten FREE sex channels of live sex and the naked news for FREE to the world. There will be no CREDIT cards, no phone dialers, no pop-up ad's, no spyware and there will be no other form of payment required by any user.

Earthstation 5 has grown from a simple P2P network to the largest P2P portal in the world with an average of 11,536,240 simultaneous users online at any given moment of the day or night. Currently, new users are downloading Earthstation 5 software located at http://www.earthstation5.com/ on a average of 500,000 times per day in the 18 languages that Earthstation 5 currently offers.

One-reason users are using Earthstation 5 instead of the other peer to peer (P2P) programs is because of our stealth technology. Other P2P company's claim to have security, but in the end we are the only ones that can't be breached! We wrote our software with security as our top priority. On top of that, all the other P2P companies have to worry about being sued by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and the Record Industry Association of America (RIAA). At the Jenin Refuge Camp, we don't worry about those kinds of problems.
http://www.p2p-zone.com/underground/...threadid=17108

well anyway, it makes for an attention grabbing press realese...

- js.
I'm a little worried about all these wars ES5 is curently engaging itself in..does it have enough troops to continue warfare on such a grandiose scale and on so many MULTI-facited fronts?

VIVA la REVOLUCIONES!

cindy is offline   Reply With Quote