P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 08-02-03, 06:35 PM   #1
Millencolin
Can you see me now? ....Good

Default Yet another way the RIAA is trying to piss you off

My friend asked me if i could DL the new Daredevil soundtrack to the movie b/c he didn't feel like buying it for $15. So i'm searching for the songs, i line a bunch up for DL and i decide to listen to the finished ones. Around every 30sec to 1min there is the sound of ex. when you call a disconnected phone number... do do do! <--sound. and there is a dif. sound for the more suddle songs, like a shuffling type sound. This doesn't really piss me off since i have dsl, but looks like my friend will have to either wait for me to find all the "un-fagged-up" songs or he'll haveta buy the cd, god forbid

Just thought i'd tell ya, dunno if there's been a thread about this or not.
Millencolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-03, 09:32 PM   #2
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

you've been "spoofed"...files that appear to be what you are looking for, but are actually 30 second loops of the song or the song with some kind of interference or some other variation of a mutilated version of the song.

yeah, it's been covered here... the RIAA hires companies to flood the p2p networks with bad versions of new releases in the hopes that you will give up and go buy the cd.

just hang in there and keep looking...take note of the file names of the bad versions (for example - did they use all caps in the title, do they make it a point to say "Full" or "Complete"etc.) and you can begin to pick up patterns in your search results, so you know which ones to avoid.

one thing you can pretty much count on: sooner or later, the good versions will appear...and when they do, the whole spoof effort goes up in smoke
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-03, 09:59 PM   #3
Millencolin

heh, i forgot the word "sproof." i don't know if it had all caps, but it was the new Daredevil movie soundtrack, and since it's new, it's prolly a fresh batch of f'd up songs. I'm going to search by band, not by the word "Daredevil." anyways, it won't stop me.
btw - do you know if the RIAA "sproofs" movie files, like files that are just black through out the whole movie? I've gotten a few of those before.
Old 08-02-03, 10:20 PM   #4
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

dunno if they spoof movies, too, but it would not surprise me if they did.

i didn't mean the bad ones necessarily have all caps...what i meant was that since the bad ones are all put there by the same "user", there is often a pattern to the way the file name of the spoofed version appears. i noticed this while searching for Peter Gabriel's latest last summer, just before it was released in September. the file names of the spoofed songs were worded in a similar way...the fake versions all said FULL or COMPLETE in the title, so i learned to not even bother with those.

when searching for a song just released or prior to release, i found that, if i got 20 hits on a search for a song and one of the file names was worded or appeared a little different than the others, then that one was probably a good one, since the spoofed versions were far more likely to appear multiple times in a search.

of course, as time passes after release, the good versions begin to appear far more than the bad ones, since users dump the bad ones and keep the goods one out there.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-03, 11:35 AM   #5
Millencolin

mmk, i see. thanks for your info
Old 12-02-03, 11:55 AM   #6
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Downloaders are Really to blame

This has been said so many times, I know... BUT the downloaders are really the culprits here..

How many SHARE their download directory/folder?

Do You?

With too many P2P setups it seems to be the default, with care in setting up your system, you should be able to ensure your download folder is NOT SHARED..

Listen to everything you download, correct its title, if badly typed, then make it available for share, in a share folder.

Sharing a download folder is plain Stupid... If YOU are doing it, the STOP IT NOW...

Eventually the good files will exceed the bad, but not if you pump out the rubish you download WITHOUT testing it FIRST>>

Snark.. (Rant over)

(Filetopia User, where file disipline serious)

(Kazaa is for Kids) (WinMx is for Wizzards) (Filetopia is for Friends)
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 02:06 PM   #7
Millencolin

I don't get exactly what you're saying.... Are you saying, don't share your folder where your downloads are going to. And to share a dif. folder. Anyways, i always check my files after DLing to see if their for real. If not i delete.