P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 17-01-02, 05:00 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Embarrassed Instrumentals get so overlooked

I hear many instrumentals around but it's tough to remember their names because they're usually disposable dance tracks. Some classics include More, The Stripper, and something by Duane Eddy??? See how tough it is to remember their names. I'd like to hear your favourites just so I'd know the title to dl them.
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-02, 08:20 PM   #2
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Default Re: Instrumentals get so overlooked

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
I hear many instrumentals around but it's tough to remember their names because they're usually disposable dance tracks. Some classics include More, The Stripper, and something by Duane Eddy??? See how tough it is to remember their names. I'd like to hear your favourites just so I'd know the title to dl them.
I like instrumentals for mood, primarily...George Winston's piano instrumentals are great for romance...but my current favorite instrumentals are Medwyn Goodall's stuff (I'm not even sure how you would classify her stuff...rainforest music?)
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-02, 02:29 AM   #3
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I like anything by Joe Satriani, if ever there was a guitar god it would be him. Some of it is fast and loud and some of it is mellow and moody, but it's all very complex and it keeps your attention. You almost don't notice that there aren't any lyrics.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-02, 04:43 AM   #4
greedy_lars
everything you do

Stewart Copeland - Soundtrack to the movie Rumblefish

few vocals, rock solid. love love love that cd.

and of course, Weather Report, smooth jazz, nice sax.

or how about 'dub' reggae, nice indeed.

acually theres a ton of music i like without benifit of vocals.
greedy_lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-02, 04:49 AM   #5
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by greedy_lars
or how about 'dub' reggae, nice indeed.

acually theres a ton of music i like without benifit of vocals.
Yep, dub reggae comes to mind and of course almost all ambient... lots of great stuff there that would only be spoiled with vocals...

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-02, 04:52 AM   #6
Jader
iniquitous

Very good guitar instrumentation is heard throughout Marilyn Manson albums. The shock, the hype, the angst-heightened lyrics... try to pick out the guitar work.

I'm normally deterred by the headline-making musicians, but one day I heard Rock is Dead and was awed.
Jader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-02, 07:42 AM   #7
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Strum Strum, Instrum....Ental?

I could not mention anyone specific track (instrumental) that was really outstanding, but I've always been a fan of Acoustic Alchemy, have most of their albums, well worth a listen if you can find them now.

What a great shame that one was taken so early, and just as their music was taking off, listen to many TV documentaries, you will hear background music by Acoustic Alchemy, it seems to be one of the groups that get selected automatically for such things?

Albums I know of are: Natural Elements, Red Dust & Spanish lace
Blue Chip, Reference Point, The New Edge, Against the Grain & Back on the Case.

There must be others...

If you like acoustic guitars, with a minimum of electronics, themes that vary from balads, through Spanish, to Jazz and techno, then give them a listen.

Snark.
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-02, 08:04 AM   #8
LV15
Absolute Bastard

Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar

and

Binary Finary - 1999

are two instrumental tranecy type tracks that i can leave on winamp and just repeat for hours on end (of course drugs always help). A lot of music is called trance...very little of it can make you achieve that state though

both these tunes have been remixed by everyone in the world including the guy who delivers my mail and a small cat i once saw crossing the road in 1981.

As with most trance tunes i recommend looking for versions which are at least 9 minutes long. I think the nalin and kane beachball mix of Cafe Del Mar is good but i can't be sure...same with 1999...i'm sure the paul van dyk mix is great...but it could be anyone
LV15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-02, 09:44 AM   #9
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Njah Njah Not by me!

I too listen to lots and lots of modern instrumental music, but I got the impression Napho was talking about antique classics. Back in the days of Napster I went on an 'instrumental classics I remember from childhood' binge. (I used to go off on all kinds of themes--I once collected over 30 different versions of The Girl From Ipanema, and to this day no one can endure listening to them back to back, perhaps if only because of the way I cackle maniacally while playing it for them--especially during the Sammy Davis Jr. and Cher versions)

I remember once I made a post at the Napster forum along the lines of:

Does anyone know the name of that song that goes "DOO-DOO-DOOOOOOO-DOO-HEY-EY" and was in the soundtrack of On Any Given Sunday?

Of course no one knew what in the hell I was talking about, but eventually I found out it was Rock and Roll Part II by Gary Glitter, which I still love even though this 'Mr. Glitter' person seems to be a very silly fellow.

Some other all around good classic instrumental bands I'd mention would be The Ventures (Walk Don't Run, Theme From Hawaii Five-O), Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass (The Lonely Bull, Tijuana Taxi, Taste of Honey, Spanish Flea), and Los Indios Tabajaras. (L.I.T. rocks; legend has it they were two Brazilian indians who found a guitar in the forest and taught themselves to play it. Beautiful stuff--you may have heard Maria Elena somewhere before--a real classic.)

A few other fun and funky classics that leap to mind are Ray Anthony: Peter Gunn Catastrophe, Hot Butter: Popcorn, The Edgar Winter Group: Frankenstein, Apollo 100: Joy (pre-switched-on-Bach), The Tornadoes: Telstar, Mason Williams: Classical Gas, Hugo Montenegro: The Theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Booker T. and the MGs: Green Onions... ok--my brain is shutting down in a fog of surf classics with no names... I'd have to dig through my burns for a more comprehensive list...

I also always really liked the long instrumental section at the end of the studio version of Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well, which I thought was a completely unrelated song for years and years--it's got that High Plains Drifter feel, a quality I demand in my wordless oldies...

As for post-bronze-age relics, I'd say Eno's Ambient series is way up there. (Music for Airports, I guess, really is a classic in its own right after all) And anything by Harold Budd, The Plight and Premonition and Flux and Mutability pieces by David Sylvian and Holger Czukay, the Soundscape series by Fripp, anything by Jon Hassell, Hans Joachim Roedelius, Dr. L. Subramaniam, Djivan Gasparyan, Ravi Shankar, Gavin Bryars, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, Somei Satoh, Isao Tomita, Mike Oldfield (especially Ommadawn, which I've been hooked on lately), Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Ryuichi Sakamoto... and this is but to name a scant few and barely scratch the surface of the pre-post-modern era...
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-02, 10:33 AM   #10
LV15
Absolute Bastard

Default Re: Not by me!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramona_A_Stone

I remember once I made a post at the Napster forum along the lines of:

Does anyone know the name of that song that goes "DOO-DOO-DOOOOOOO-DOO-HEY-EY" and was in the soundtrack of On Any Given Sunday?

Of course no one knew what in the hell I was talking about, but eventually I found out it was Rock and Roll Part II by Gary Glitter, which I still love even though this 'Mr. Glitter' person seems to be a very silly fellow.
I not only remember this thread I have a horrible feeling I may of contributed to it....
LV15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-02, 01:13 PM   #11
thinker
Ex-Singular

Try the John Paul Jones 1999 release Zooma. It's entirely instrumental save for a few whispers in one of the tracks (maybe "Grind"). Unfortunately I lost that in the recent mishap.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-02, 07:31 AM   #12
BuzzB2K
Just another cat on the FastTrack...

Eek! Re: Not by me!

Quote:
I also always really liked the long instrumental section at the end of the studio version of Fleetwood Mac's Oh Well, which I thought was a completely unrelated song for years and years--it's got that High Plains Drifter feel, a quality I demand in my wordless oldies...
Ever since I first heard the Fleetwood Mac song Oh Well (Part II) (It was originally side 2 of the single Oh Well)
It has never failed to leave me so relaxed (spaced?) that I often would just sit and not even think, let alone remember to get up and put on another album!

Another Instrumental I have always loved is Samba Pa Ti off Abraxas by Santana. A pair of Instrumentals off of the same Album Singing Winds, Crying Beasts & Gypsy Queen bracketed yet another early Fleetwood Mac song (Black Magic Woman).

As to some of those earlier Instrumentals you mentioned I have a 5-Disc Rhino set of Instrumentals that is so full of memories...(Green Onions or Time is Tight by Booker T & the MG's)
BuzzB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-02, 11:05 AM   #13
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Forgot to mention my newest favorite instrumental..this forum's own Ramona's Three Bloody Marys And An Airport Jelly Donut
...it's available somewhere in here and it's a terrific piece

...although if it shares space on your hard drive with anything from ACDC, keep it to yourself

Last edited by theknife : 19-01-02 at 11:12 AM.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-02, 11:15 AM   #14
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Mr. Knife. In this case I'm deeply honored... :blush: thanks!

Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-02, 08:25 PM   #15
SpaceHippie

yea!! john paul jones was smokin when i saw him play nov. 15 2001 . he played some great slide, including when the levy breaks, and some ry cooder tunes using a mandolin :-). The whole show was intramental. o well my personal favorite is Mahavishnu Orchestra (Inner Mounting Flame)
SpaceHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-02, 10:01 PM   #16
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

... and of course almost all ambient... lots of great stuff there that would only be spoiled with vocals...

- tg
great ambient winamp stream: groove salad http://205.188.245.133:8076

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-02, 02:28 AM   #17
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdrive(1st Album), Any Colour You Like(DSotM),
Edgar Winter - Frankenstein
Santana - Samba Pa Ti
Traffic - Glad
Zeppelin - Moby Dick
Beatles - Flying
Allman Bros - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Mountain Jam(one of the longest songs out there)

did I miss something or wasn't I supposed to post well known instrumentals.
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-02, 07:07 AM   #18
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

- js.
Nice ambient indeed - thanks Jack!
128 kbs rate makes the stream quite enjoyable to listen - recommended!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-02, 12:20 PM   #19
pod
Bumbling idiot

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts
Actually, just head over to http://www.soma.fm/ (except for today, what with the blackout and all for May Day). You'll get the entire server list for Groove Salad, not just the one IP. Other good stations on SOMA are the new Beat Blender, Drone Zone (sometimes), D&B (I don't like breakbeats, but excellent otherwise), and Secret Agent has some good stuff on it sometimes.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-02, 09:44 PM   #20
pb8
My sole purpose in life was simply to serve as a warning to others.

Default Re: Not by me!

Quote:
The Girl From Ipanema

That was one mind warping tune. For so many, young and old it would get into your head and was hard as hell to shake out at times!

Quote:
Some other all around good classic instrumental bands I'd mention would be The Ventures (Walk Don't Run, Theme From Hawaii Five-O), Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass (The Lonely Bull, Tijuana Taxi, Taste of Honey, Spanish Flea

Some really good tunes there, but like some one mentioned in another post in here, you wouldn't be caught dead listening to them now.
Quote:
A few other fun and funky classics that leap to mind are Ray Anthony: Peter Gunn Catastrophe, Hot Butter: Popcorn, The Edgar Winter Group: Frankenstein, Apollo 100: Joy (pre-switched-on-Bach), The Tornadoes: Telstar, Mason Williams: Classical Gas, Hugo Montenegro: The Theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Booker T. and the MGs: Green Onions... ok--my brain is shutting down in a fog of surf classics with no names... I'd have to dig through my burns for a more comprehensive list...

Funny you don't look old enough to remember most of those tunes. As for your surfin' classics, how could you not recall

'The Surfaris - Wipeout'

From the 90's music by a relatively obscure group called 'The Hellecasters' offers up only instrumental electric guitar cuts.

The following would make for a good sampling of their stuff. Not for everyones taste's I'm sure, but worth a quick listen.

The Hellecasters - Son Becomes Father.mp3
The Hellecasters - Peter Gunn.mp3
The Hellecasters - Lost in Kashmir.mp3
The Hellecasters - 5 Minutes To Spare.mp3

Ramona, you might get a smile out of that Peter Gunn cut if you can find it

They say such nice things about people at their funerals that it makes me sad that I'm going to miss mine by just a few days.
pb8 is offline   Reply With Quote