P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 18-03-05, 07:07 AM   #1
tacker

Default S: Virtual shared LAN folder

Hoi,
I am looking for a software fits these needs:
Multiple PCs are connected via LAN (Windows, TCP/IP).
The software create a virtual directory in which all public files are listed.
If i want to have such a file the client fetches the file from the source and
all other computers in the lan which have the file or parts of it.
It's important that the software is easy to use, explorer style.
I want to achieve the fast distribution of files across all connected PCs on the LAN.

Any idea?
Thanks
Old 18-03-05, 09:35 PM   #2
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Explorer should be able to do that for you already. To use it you need to enable File and Printer Sharing for your network adapter and then create a Workgroup and log each computer into it. WindowsXP has a Network Setup Wizard that can handle these settings for you, and if not every computer has WinXP the wizard will give you the option to create a setup disk to use in the older systems. After that you can share any directory or disk drive on your computer by changing its properties. Unfortunatly, you can't use shortcuts, the actual file has to be copied into the shared directory. Once copied the file can be accessed remotely through My Network Places (or Network Neighborhood in older versions of Windows).

You shouldn't need the ability to transfer from multiple sources on a LAN as long as you make sure that every network card and hub in your network is connected at their maximum speeds in full duplex mode. The file will transfer at full speed from one source, assuming the network hardware and wiring are all in healthy condition.

Can you handle setting up the netowork this way? If not I can help you with the specifics. Good luck, and welcome to Napsterites.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-05, 09:00 AM   #3
Kris404
How may I help you?

Setup DFS (Distributed File System) under Windows 2000 Server/2003
Kris404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-05, 12:11 PM   #4
JackSpratts

hi tacker,

you can always install a private lan-only WASTE profile on each machine and set your share parameters as if you were on an external waste mesh. you'll see speeds of 150-400KBS. if that's not fast enough use SOULSEEK, but make sure your shares are available only for hotlisted users, then cross-hotlist each pc on the network. you'll get double the speeds. it's really fast, like 5 secs per song.

doing this is quicker to set-up and possibly more secure than the normal windows-style network configurations but the real power is in the effortless transfers between different windows operating systems, like 98, ME, XP and so forth (fat 32 & ntfs). there just aren't any os conflicts this way.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote