P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 15-01-05, 02:56 AM   #1
Jader
iniquitous

Screwy Hmm.. WinMX.. is it just me?

Not getting shit for search results for some reason. Also, there isn't a single chatroom listed. Anyone know what's going on?
Jader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-05, 07:04 AM   #2
albed
flippin 'em off

Seems ok for me: 1776 chat channels and mp3-search-jackson turns up 3000 and climbing. I've noticed it gets pretty dead sometimes, mostly seems like a lot of primary connection switching, probably intentional sabotage by riaa lackeys but there's more than enough idiots on that network...
albed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-05, 01:33 PM   #3
Jader
iniquitous

Well I reinstalled it and for some reason it's not getting a TCP connection now when it tries to configure itself. It's worked fine in the past; I have port 6699 (default) config'd on my router. Tried a few others and none seem to work now... wtf.
Old 15-01-05, 01:45 PM   #4
thinker
Ex-Singular

Well for me the problem is connecting to servers; a couple or few weeks ago things were fine but now even with new .wsx files and networks I'm just not getting connections. I haven't changed any firewall settings so that shouldn't be it. WPNP seems to be doing fine enough.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-05, 01:56 PM   #5
albed
flippin 'em off

I could never get TCP or UDP connections on dial-up and still can't even after forwarding ports on my dsl router but it still works ok. Using 3.54 beta 4 on WPNP.
Old 15-01-05, 01:56 PM   #6
Jader
iniquitous

Weird... apparently my IP changed (from *.100 to *.101) and that was fucking up the port forwarding. No idea how that happened although I did just reboot recently after the last XP update a few days ago. I've never had my IP just up and change like that though. Fucking conspiracy.

All is well now.
Old 15-01-05, 02:03 PM   #7
thinker
Ex-Singular

I'm running 3.53. I was basing my previous judgments on last night, but right now results are a little slow on WPNP, and I only see 73 chat channels. Servers are still crap; does anyone know of certain ports I should be checking?
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-05, 02:13 PM   #8
albed
flippin 'em off

Been to Vlad's site?

http://www.vladd44.com/axis.htm

http://www.nodata.plus.com/index.html?routers.html

I chased links before to get port ranges but people were only guessing.
Old 15-01-05, 03:02 PM   #9
Jader
iniquitous

3.53 here also. And all 2042 gay/sex/fetish/fuck/hardcore/teen chat channels are back. Yay.

TCP 6699 and UDP 6257 are the default ports. I read somewhere that certain ISP's may block these? I just put a 1 in front of both to be safe though I've never heard of Comcast blocking anything; but it was just my dumb IP afterall.
Old 15-01-05, 03:29 PM   #10
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
I could never get TCP or UDP connections on dial-up and still can't even after forwarding ports on my dsl router but it still works ok.
me neither...tho i never dug into to the help files to find out why. i'm not even sure what i'm missing - what does TCP/UDP do for you?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-05, 04:36 PM   #11
napho
Dawn's private genie

I don't use it much but it seems to work better than ever. Latest version and primary connection don't hurt. The Jackson search works well!

napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-05, 10:07 PM   #12
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
me neither...tho i never dug into to the help files to find out why. i'm not even sure what i'm missing - what does TCP/UDP do for you?
Not sure myself, just heard it makes it work better. Read up.

http://www.nodata.plus.com/index.html?splash.html

http://www.vladd44.com/
Old 16-01-05, 01:24 PM   #13
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Ports are sort of “listening posts” that when used are “tuned” to a specific kind of message. By using ports, a single IP address can simultaneously process different kinds of messages.

There are 65,536 ports which are numbered 0 - 65,535. The usage of ports 0 - 49,151 is regulated by IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority). The first 1024 ports are called “well known” ports. Ports 1024 - 49,151 are called “registered ports”. Ports 49,152 - 65,535 are called “dynamic” or “private” ports.

The full list of (well known/regulated) ports and corresponding registered use can be found here: http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

For example when you type a web site name (URL) into your browser, the web site name needs to be translated into an IP address. The Domain Name Service (DNS) does this using port 53. Once the IP address of the web site is known, a connection can be attempted. Web site servers listen on port 80 for incoming HTTP connections. When you connect to a web site, your browser makes a connection request on port 80 to the address of the web site. The web server hears the request, allows the connection, and sends the web page data to your computer and the browser displays it for you.

TCP and UDP refer to different communication protocols. TCP stands for Transmission Control Protocol, it’s the communication protocol used on the internet, often referred to as TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol). UDP stands for User Datagram Protocol.

Ports generally effect P2P because the computer running the P2P application has to be able to respond to incoming connection requests (incoming file download requests) from the internet. Routers and other types of firewalls commonly interfere with this because the security they provide comes from blocking uninvited incoming connection requests. The effect on the P2P application behind such a blockade is usually that downloading is possible, but sharing is not.

WinMx uses TCP 6699 and UDP 6297. It’s noteworthy that both those ports are in the IANA “registered” area, but both are (currently) in an unassigned port range.

If you are using WinMx and you have a router, you will need to “forward” ports 6699 and 6297 to the IP address of the computer that is running WinMx. When most “home use” routers open a port, it’s open for TCP or UDP. If you use a software firewall such as ZoneAlarm (on the computer running WinMx), you will have to configure it to allow incoming connections on ports 6699 and 6297 as well.

It’s a good idea to use an IP blocker like ProtoWall to block “undesirable IP addresses” from connecting to your computer while running WinMx or other unsecured P2P applications. A good anti-virus application with real-time file monitoring and a good anti-adware/spyware tool should also be considered “standard equipment”. It is noteworthy that these tools do not make your computer running P2P completely safe, but it’s much better than not using the protection they afford.

Sources for the security software mentioned:

Software firewall application “ZoneAlarm” is available in a free download version at http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...eeDownload.jsp

Anti-Adware/Spyware application “Spybot Search & Destroy” is available as a free download from http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm

Anti-virus application “AVG Anti-virus” is available in a free download version from http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

IP Blocker application “ProtoWall” is available as a free download from http://www.bluetack.co.uk/modules.ph...download&cid=5

Here’s a port mapping example from my router. I have a Netgear FVS318 router, and it’s configuration is a little more complicated than most of the “home use” routers. You have to define a “service” name with the port or port range in one table, and map that “service” to the IP address of the private LAN side computer in another table.
Attached Images

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote