P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 23-02-05, 02:07 AM   #1
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Post Lou Dobbs

the only guy at CNN i dont make fun of

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition..._dobbs.art.htm

Exporting America. Dobbs is using his show and Web site to name more than 1,000 U.S. companies “sending American jobs overseas or choosing to employ cheap overseas labor instead of American workers.” High on the list: CNN owner Time Warner, the world's largest media company.

Dobbs says some CEOs have accused him of turning into Ralph Nader, but “privately many CEOs say to me: ‘If everybody else would stop it, I'd be delighted to end it. Until that happens we have to protect our margin at the margin.' That's a shame.”

Broken borders. Dobbs, who also writes columns for Money magazine and U.S. News & World Report, cites reports that 15 million illegal aliens live in the USA, that 400,000 are fleeing arrest and that 80,000 are wanted for serious crimes. He says politicians and the media are ignoring the issue: “This country is facing a war on terror while refusing to secure our borders. … If we can't secure our borders and our ports then we are losing the war on terror.”

A pox on both parties. Dobbs is a lifelong Republican but says President Bush's “compassionate conservatism” rings hollow when “the White House obviously supports outsourcing of American jobs to cheap labor markets.”
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-05, 11:51 PM   #2
pod
Bumbling idiot

I watch the show every so often, and, well, I'm kinda of two minds on the whole 'exporting' thing. If you want the government to protect American jobs, they'll also end up protecting American businesses from exports with all the protectionist legislation and its economic aftereffects. Protectionism has backfired every single time.

On the other hand, it would kinda suck, as I'm in an industry that is always on the brink of being exported, or at least outsourced, if you believe the hype.

But you gotta love the 'Broken Borders' segments. It must take a lot of botox to keep a straight face and say you're fighting terrorism and imposing all kinds of restrictions on liberties of American citizens, while turning a blind eye to the millions of people crossing over from Mexico every year. That's very special indeed.
pod is offline   Reply With Quote