P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Political Asylum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Political Asylum Publicly Debate Politics, War, Media.

Old 14-08-05, 09:20 AM   #1
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Default Israeli settlers are leaving the Gaza Strip today

I think this will be a historic week, and hopefully it will be a peaceful withdral and a turning point in the Israel/Palestine peace process. I couldn't imagine being told by my government to leave my home, so it amazes me that so many are leaving voluntarily. I wish them all the best.

Security alert for Gaza withdrawal
Palestinians brace for trouble as Jews begin to leave their homes

GAZA CITY (CNN) -- Despite complaints about a lack of equipment, Palestinian Authority security forces Saturday were on high alert, stationed outside settlements across Gaza to prevent violence as the withdrawal of Israeli troops and thousands of Jewish settlers begins Sunday at midnight.

There is concern that Islamic radical groups such as Hamas or Islamic Jihad may incite violence that could disrupt the pullout, which involves the withdrawal of Israeli troops and about 9,000 Jewish settlers in Gaza and four small areas of the West Bank.

Israel has given the settlers until Wednesday to leave their homes before they will be forcibly removed.

Most of the settlers -- about 8,500 -- are to be evacuated from Gaza, where Israel has been closely coordinating with Palestinian security forces. A joint information and coordination center has been established at Erez Crossing along the northern Gaza-Israel border.

More

Leaving Gaza: Lives Unsettled by the Pullout
By STEVEN ERLANGER

RAFIAH YAM, Gaza, Aug. 12 - Yaffa Hadad yanked out the dishwasher and started cleaning around it, as her husband's Palestinian workers bubble-wrapped the exercise bicycle and carried boxes out to the container on the sandy street.

A last pot simmered on the stove, under the blank spaces where the kitchen shelves had been, for the last Sabbath dinner of the Israeli settlement of Rafiah Yam.

All 27 families would gather, then many would go their own way - most to temporary housing prepared by the Israeli government in nearby Nitzanim or Mavqim, to figure out what to do with their lives.

All four Hadad children are here, including two from the army, but the family, which has held together, is now warring over where to go. Mrs. Hadad and the two older children want to stay close to Gaza, and take a temporary home in Nitzanim. But her husband, Kobi, has found a place to farm on a kibbutz in the north of Israel, at Bustan ha-Galil, near Acre.

"I feel like I'm going to die," Mrs. Hadad said. "We're in a big fight over where to go, and the kids are crying."

She wants to be near her friends and think about where to move next; he is desperate to get started. "I don't want to be aimless and jobless and bored," said Mr. Hadad, who was covered with sweat after helping a neighbor pack up a refrigerator. "I don't want to sit around a refugee camp and cry and mourn. I want to work, to wake up in the morning and work the land. There I can start on the first day."

The Hadads' struggle is a small, poignant reflection of the larger internal conflict produced by Israel's pullout from all 21 settlements in Gaza and 4 in the West Bank, due to start this week. After more than a year of speeches and debates, rallies and prayers, protests and conflict, votes and resignations, Israeli is finally going to pack up its presence in Gaza, including its vast military infrastructure, and leave it to the Palestinians, intending to end a 38-year occupation.

More

Last edited by Mazer : 14-08-05 at 09:34 AM.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-05, 07:35 PM   #2
Nicobie

Maybe a quick prayer to the proper god might be in order.

There are alot of people who just need to 'cut the crap' and get on with it.
Old 14-08-05, 11:31 PM   #3
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

It's a holy day in Israel, I'm sure there are millions of quick prayers being uttered, as well as thousands of very long ones.
Old 15-08-05, 05:40 AM   #4
Shani
Spagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
I think this will be a historic week, and hopefully it will be a peaceful withdral and a turning point in the Israel/Palestine peace process.
i doubt it. arabs will probably see it as a sign of weakness and a step towards their conquering of the whole of israel.
Old 15-08-05, 11:29 AM   #5
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

Lost in a Roman Wilderness of pain
and all the children are insane
- Mr Mojorison

Quote:
Tisha B'Av primarily commemorates the destruction of the first and second Temples, both of which were destroyed on the ninth of Av (the first by the Babylonians in 586 B.C.E.; the second by the Romans in 70 C.E.).
http://www.jewfaq.org/holidayd.htm

So everything will be ok until the Third temple gets built, which has to be on the site that is currently occupied by the Al asqa Mosque, the big gold domed building in Jerusalem. So sayeth the prophets. So no worries until that day

When that happens you may want to...
Quote:
run out in the street and start feeding on the goo in each others brians
- Kent Brockman
Attached Images

floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-05, 06:03 PM   #6
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Hmm, this wasn't a political thread, or at least I didn't intend it to be. Wierd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani
i doubt it. arabs will probably see it as a sign of weakness and a step towards their conquering of the whole of israel.
Hamas has already made that claim and the Israeli government is working on a big PR campaign to maker sure Sharon gets the credit (or blame, depending on who you ask) for this move. At first arabs will see it as the defeat of the Israelis, but soon the Palestinian Authority will have its hands full governing the new state, trying to keep the peace without the help of Israeli police. Then, if Palestine launches attacks on its neighbor, the Israelis will have every right to shoot back and defend their border. There are tough times ahead for Palestine, and if the arabs want to take care of their own they'll have to let Israel be for a while.
Old 18-08-05, 06:32 PM   #7
Nicobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani

With all my heart,

I hope you're wrong.
Old 25-08-05, 06:15 PM   #8
Nicobie

It's good. . . .

yes?