P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 20-09-03, 05:29 PM   #1
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Thumbs up BBC looking to offer its archives over P2P

Talk about legit uses of P2P technology.

From NewMediaZero:

Quote:
BBC confirms it's looking to offer archive over P2P
Jonathan Webdale

The BBC has confirmed that it's investigating the use of peer-to-peer file sharing for the distribution of its programmes.

It follows director general Greg Dyke's announcement at the recent Edinburgh TV festival that the Corporation is planning to make its archive accessible via the Internet.

BBC new media director Ashley Highfield revealed the first details of the plans at the International Broadcasting Convention in Amsterdam over the weekend.

He said the BBC was developing a 'super EPG' that would work on any platform and let users record programmes as with a PVR.

The Internet Media Player (IMP) will allow programmes to be downloaded or streamed to PC desktops and handheld devices.

P2P would provide the BBC with a cost-effective mechanism for responding to the massive demand for bandwidth that would likely be prompted by the launch of IMP.

'A fully flexible, platform-neutral, super EPG is in development that will allow TV content to be recorded TiVo-style,' said Highfield. 'It'll enable shows being broadcast now to be downloaded or streamed, and most significantly [let] TV shows that went out recently to be recalled from our archive and downloaded.

'To save on the huge bandwidth load this will place on us, we're exploring legitimate P2P models to get users to share our content on our behalf transparently.'

Highfield revealed that the BBC is also embarking on a pilot scheme drawing on its network of 50 local radio stations to create 'ultra-local TV news', drilling down to major towns and accessible by viewers via iTV. A spokeswoman said the pilot was in its very early stages.
BBC's move to open its archives to the public for free is a great thing in itself. And should they end up using P2P technology in the delivery, it will set a beautiful example for others to follow.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-03, 05:58 AM   #2
multi
Thanks for being with arse

do you think it will be xml..?

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-03, 03:32 PM   #3
Marius

Default Re: BBC looking to offer its archives over P2P

Quote:
BBC's move to open its archives to the public for free is a great thing in itself.
In your dreams, TankGirl!

The BBC's copyright material is its single most valuable asset. There's no way they'll "open their archives" for all and sundry to download for free.

At best, you'll get 5 minute trailers for programs with a link to "buy the video or DVD from the BBC online shop".

Marius
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-03, 05:11 PM   #4
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

Default Re: Re: BBC looking to offer its archives over P2P

Quote:
Originally posted by Marius
The BBC's copyright material is its single most valuable asset. There's no way they'll "open their archives" for all and sundry to download for free.
The BBC's funding and revenue is derived from the viewing public, both directly through taxes, merchandising etc. and indirectly through advertising. This is a good PR move and the "loss leader" business model does have the potential to drive sales in other areas eg. dvds, customised subscription services, wireless services? etc. The people have already paid for the content. Giving it away may create more paying customers.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-03, 07:42 PM   #5
naz
-

Yeah, they announced they were opening up their entire archives for free online consumption a few months ago. Technically, it's a mammoth task so i can see why they'd consider p2p. They get the proceeds of a 100 pound sterling licence fee that everyone with a tv has to pay to fund their tv, radio and internet media and carry they no ads. I've also read that they are trying to sell off their commercial enterprises (tellytubbies etc) in order to concentrate on public sector broadcasting. That rules.
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-03, 12:32 PM   #6
Marius

Quote:
Originally posted by naz
Yeah, they announced they were opening up their entire archives for free online consumption a few months ago.
I just looked up the source of this information - a speech given by Greg Dyke, the BBC's Director General at the Edinburgh International TV Festival back in August.

What he actually said was this:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds11598.html

"We intend to allow parts of our programmes, where we own the rights, to be available to anyone in the UK to download so long as they don't use them for commercial purposes."

"Parts" of programmes - in other words, clips - trailers to whet the appetite. If you want the full program you'll be directed to the BBC's online video and DVD store.

Although the BBC is presently funded by the British taxpayer this arrangment will be reviewed in a few years time and the government's made it clear that there's no guarantee the funding will continue beyond that date.

That's why they won't be giving away their most important financial asset.

Marius
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-03, 06:44 AM   #7
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Default Yup....

... that sounds about right to me, Marius.

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote