P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > The Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Music Rhythm of the Underground.

Old 23-12-06, 11:38 AM   #1
JackSpratts

maybe the easiest for now is to output your audio to the input of another pc and proceed from there. digitally preferably (fiber optic i/o) but analog if need be. i've been doing some more taping via the video recorder and it sounds just like the stream. i'm sure the sound quality will be as good and you'll have the added benefit of having it on your harddrive where you can do your edits etc (those gaps need to be trimmed for instance).

i wouldn't be surprised if many of these concerts exist on file-sharing networks already. as a matter of fact a private tracker is throwing a free holiday party this week so i picked up a couple of external hard drives just for the occasion and immediately found elton john's filmore concert @256. it hasn't finished yet so i have no idea how it sounds - but this particular tracker is infamous for enforcing its quality policy and i'd be surprised if it wasn't first rate (for lossy anyway).

one other thing i've found is that this stream can often stop, ruining any recording, so i really have to listen as i tape unless i like surprises. if that's not practical, like during overnight ripping you can still record automatically and get a good copy if you remember to inspect the browser before closing because if the stream does stop it'll show precisely where in the player window. now that's a feature lol! it's not a big deal to then rewind to the last gap before the interuption and restart, but i've had to re-record 2, 3 or more times before i got a full stream.

this would apply to any type of capture, even a direct streamrip.

- js.

edit: just saw goldie's post. nice going!
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-06, 11:40 AM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts View Post

one other thing i've found is that this stream can often stop, ruining any recording, so i really have to listen as i tape unless i like surprises. if that's not practical, like during overnight ripping you can still record automatically and get a good copy if you remember to inspect the browser before closing because if the stream does stop it'll show precisely where in the player window. now that's a feature lol! it's not a big deal to then rewind to the last gap before the interuption and restart, but i've had to re-record 2, 3 or more times before i got a full stream.

this would apply to any type of capture, even a direct streamrip.

- js.
yea - that's sumtin our end really cannot control. def. sux when it happens..
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-06, 07:50 PM   #3
Haole
Pronunciation: 'hau-lE

Total Recorder stops recording when the stream is buffering and then resumes with the stream. Also, you can record in a mode that makes it super fast (like 4-8X faster, I think) but you can't listen while it's recording.
Old 23-12-06, 10:50 PM   #4
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

darn holidays interfere with the really important stuff - been trying to get back to this all day.

well, instead of trying to debug the direct rip via Total Rec, i just took Jack's advice and pulled up a concert on my laptop, plugged a cable from the headphone jack into the mike jack on my desktop pc, saved it with Total Rec and it seems to work like a champ. now i'm trying to figure out why Total Rec doesn't recognize my Lame encoder, so i can encode to mp3 on the fly as i save, but that's a secondary issue....

edit: actually, no need for 2 boxes - connect the headphone jack to the line-in jack on the same pc and it works great with Total Rec. just gotta figure out how to set-up scheduling so i can go to bed and not fill up my hard drive overnight.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-06, 11:13 AM   #5
theknife

here's a question for you rippers - when you save a whole concert, do you save it as one long mp3 or do you break down the tracks into individual mp3's - and if so, how?
Old 24-12-06, 01:18 PM   #6
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife View Post
here's a question for you rippers - when you save a whole concert, do you save it as one long mp3 or do you break down the tracks into individual mp3's - and if so, how?
taking the elton john concert as an example since you've listened to it, i would have to break it down and trim every song. depending on the sophistication of the ripper those huge inter-song gaps may have to be removed if they weren't ignored. since several of his songs ran together as one seamless peice (like that burn down the mission-shotun-give peace a chance-higher set) any gaps ruin the show.

to eliminate them i'd open the wav files in goldwave and proceed accordingly. when done i'd burn to cd or down-convert to mp3 (or ogg etc) and save. if they're already mp3s there are mp3 editors that eliminate re-converting to wav and back (goldwave is a wav editor).

this way it's simple to play any song without having to search a huge file, and they flow as intended.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-06, 03:20 PM   #7
theknife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpratts View Post
taking the elton john concert as an example since you've listened to it, i would have to break it down and trim every song. depending on the sophistication of the ripper those huge inter-song gaps may have to be removed if they weren't ignored. since several of his songs ran together as one seamless peice (like that burn down the mission-shotun-give peace a chance-higher set) any gaps ruin the show.

to eliminate them i'd open the wav files in goldwave and proceed accordingly. when done i'd burn to cd or down-convert to mp3 (or ogg etc) and save. if they're already mp3s there are mp3 editors that eliminate re-converting to wav and back (goldwave is a wav editor).

this way it's simple to play any song without having to search a huge file, and they flow as intended.

- js.
yup, i figured there wasn't any easy way - i was hoping for something that might detect that 2 second break in the stream between songs and create a new file for each song. (the way StreamRipper does for web radio...and there still might be something like that in Total Rec that i haven't found).

for the time, i convert the whole thing to mp3 via Blade, and then use MP3 Trim to just trim and save each file.

btw, if you're an 80's type swooning geezer like me, i highly recommend Duran Duran at the Hammersmith Odeon - good playlist, great quality