P2P-Zone  

Go Back   P2P-Zone > Peer to Peer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peer to Peer The 3rd millenium technology!

Old 11-12-01, 04:06 PM   #1
napho
Dawn's private genie

Thumbs up Lesser known filesharing programs are worth a look

Don't uninstall Morpheus or WinMX just yet but...

FileNavigator seems to be coming on strong
Blubster is small but fast
32,000 on Direct Connect share as much as 600,000 on Morpheus
The new version of Audiognome is good-12 million files +
EDonkey- Great for movies and apps
Even Imesh is still around-75,000 on line-the old version 118 is by far superior to the bloated recent versions

http://slyck.com/news/120901a.html

http://www.blubster.com/

http://www.neo-modus.com/

http://www.edonkey2000.com/

http://www.audiognome.com/download.htm
napho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-01, 06:04 PM   #2
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Thanks for an excellent sum-up, napho!

It was interesting to hear that there is a new version of audioGnome available... gotta check that one for sure!

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-01, 06:13 PM   #3
zombywoof

I didn't realize audiognome came out with a new version. I've been using v 104 for a while now and it's been working just fine. I'll check it out and see what the changes on the new version are.

FileNavigator...I haven't used that since Music City ran off that platform.. I'll have to check that one out too.

No, I don't get rid of those old apps either In fact, once in a while, I'll fire up Napster and use it with napigator.
'
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-01, 08:28 PM   #4
Ruger

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar
I didn't realize audiognome came out with a new version. I've been using v 104 for a while now and it's been working just fine. I'll check it out and see what the changes on the new version are.

FileNavigator...I haven't used that since Music City ran off that platform.. I'll have to check that one out too.

No, I don't get rid of those old apps either In fact, once in a while, I'll fire up Napster and use it with napigator.
'

Hee Hee It's funny how many people I see around opennap still using the Napster client. The straight forward easy to use interface of the client keeps it going.

Version 104 of AG well you only missed about 4 updates.... maybe more? New updates have added several nice options as with PNN enhancements. Library screen is still the best of any client imho. Newer versions are a little resource hungry but still worth the update.

Filenav has very quietly building up it's P2P opennap connections are a must for good results right now. If Kazaa goes sour watch this one grow very fast!!

Another thing is alot of people think opennap is dead! Opennap has been on a steady climb for the past 6 months. Several large offshore networks have come up. Now just three connections will get you close to 30,000 users. I've had as many as 50,000 users with just 10 connections. That # out does many smaller P2P networks alone, and opennaps total estimated user base is neck and neck with Kazza/and clones according to www.Slyck.com
Opennaps vulnerability to the RIAA has also come into question. The network is now so scattered and broke up in so many countries its hard to pick a target to focus on. Many servers also do not run 24/7 so finding them is a bit of luck for the RIAA.
Then you have the concept of opennap "FREE" While Kazaa/WinMX etc are great for the selection and userbase there was never any doubt about their intentions. Napster wannabee's "build it..... they will come..... then charge their butt a fee" You know that is where alomost every P2P network is going and if you think not your a fool. But hey if it's here for free use it right? Then laugh when everyone leaves for another free service
But in the end I have a feeling opennap may come on real strong after the big ones fall or charge.
Old 12-12-01, 02:10 AM   #5
zombywoof

[quote]Originally posted by Ruger
[b]

Hee Hee It's funny how many people I see around opennap still using the Napster client. The straight forward easy to use interface of the client keeps it going.

That does not suprise me either. Opennap has been a reliable source for filesharing from the beginning.

Version 104 of AG well you only missed about 4 updates.... maybe more? New updates have added several nice options as with PNN enhancements. Library screen is still the best of any client imho. Newer versions are a little resource hungry but still worth the update.

Actually, I do have a version of 121 and 145, but I never did update them. I should because of the PNN enhancements.

Filenav has very quietly building up it's P2P opennap connections are a must for good results right now. If Kazaa goes sour watch this one grow very fast!!

I'm gonna reinstall FileNavigator and check it out.

Another thing is alot of people think opennap is dead! Opennap has been on a steady climb for the past 6 months. Several large offshore networks have come up. Now just three connections will get you close to 30,000 users. I've had as many as 50,000 users with just 10 connections. That # out does many smaller P2P networks alone, and opennaps total estimated user base is neck and neck with Kazza/and clones according to www.Slyck.com
Opennaps vulnerability to the RIAA has also come into question. The network is now so scattered and broke up in so many countries its hard to pick a target to focus on. Many servers also do not run 24/7 so finding them is a bit of luck for the RIAA.
Then you have the concept of opennap "FREE" While Kazaa/WinMX etc are great for the selection and userbase there was never any doubt about their intentions. Napster wannabee's "build it..... they will come..... then charge their butt a fee" You know that is where alomost every P2P network is going and if you think not your a fool. But hey if it's here for free use it right? Then laugh when everyone leaves for another free service
But in the end I have a feeling opennap may come on real strong after the big ones fall or charge.

I Agree. Opennap is far from dead. For a time after napster shutdown and Music City and others came on to the scene, opennap appeared to slow down some, based on the dwindling selection of music out there, but it was still there. When audiognome went PNN, it really began to take off again and has been a great p2p app. It is still my p2p app of choice when it comes to mp3's. And as far as about audiognome remaining 'free'..That is what has set itself apart from the other p2p apps such as kazaa as far as I'm concerned because from the very beginning when Diego founded Naphoria, that has always been their main reason behind it..Keep it free. Although there has been quite a bit that has changed from the early days of Naphoria, audiognome had always intended to remain free.

If any of the p2p providers like kazaa think that they are going to be able to reel in millions of users, give everyone easy access then think they are going to eventually get them to pay for the service, they would be sadly mistaken. All you have to do is see what happened to napster. So much time has gone by since napster fell and other offshoots came out with free usage and more of the public are aware of the different free p2p apps out there, and by trying to charge, all that will happen is people will move their sharing over to the free serving apps in a blink of an eye.

Last edited by zombywoof : 12-12-01 at 02:23 AM.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-01, 10:27 AM   #6
JackSpratts

Blubster's worth a look certainly. Like Xolox it's amazingly simple to set-up and run (takes forever to load your files the 1st time - be patient) and it also alows multi-source d/ling. Also like Xolox it has no real options in it's configuration except for the number of simultaneous u/l-d/ls a user can select, which is nice but not enough as it also needs a workable bandwidth control. This can be a problem when your uploaders soak-up all available bandwidth thus affecting your other internet activities. Resource use may be an issue also but that remains to be seen. The app seeems to be well supported and I'd expect regular updates.

I'm generally not in favor of new protocols for P2Ps - I feel that they weaken the community by balkanizing it but these days reality intrudes - and dictates new approaches - in staying a step ahead of the musical-political complex that would silence it.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-01, 10:43 AM   #7
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

For those of you interested in audioGnome's message board, it is nowadays here:

http://www.nekkidaudio.com/

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-01, 01:09 PM   #8
napho
Dawn's private genie

Hotline is a very effective program that is FTP-like.
This is a search I just made on a hotline search engine.

http://www.bigredh.com/hotline3/

Old 14-12-01, 06:58 PM   #9
kristof47
Grand Theft Music

I only use Direct Connect anymore lately for movies, games and appz. Works great if you have a good connection and a couple gigs to share.

I get my mp3s from a board so I don't use P2P for that anymore.
Old 17-12-01, 12:42 PM   #10
thinker
Ex-Singular

I had never taken OpenNap servers off of my WinMX. Some good recent networks include DJNap (have to share on that one though, but who says you can't cut bandwidth to 1 byte/sec), SonikNap, and the resurgent NecessaryEvil.
thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-01, 12:59 PM   #11
napho
Dawn's private genie

Quote:
Originally posted by thinker
I had never taken OpenNap servers off of my WinMX. Some good recent networks include DJNap (have to share on that one though, but who says you can't cut bandwidth to 1 byte/sec), SonikNap, and the resurgent NecessaryEvil.
Open nap is definitely getting stronger.

December 17, 2001
P-2-P Networks
Network
Users Online
Morpheus/ KaZaA
OpenNap
iMesh
DirectConnect
Gnutella
eDonkey
SongSpy
FileNavigator
Nap P-2-P Networks
Network
Songs per Server
SonikNap
6.6 Million
NecessaryEvil
4.5 Million
DJNap
3.5 Million
Comfortably_Numb
2.0 Million
ParadiseCity
1.4 Million
IRC Networks
Network
Users Online
DALNet
EFNet
Undernet
Old 18-01-02, 05:55 AM   #12
napho
Dawn's private genie

Thumbs up

This site is great if you have edonkey. You can check out reviews and new things then click on the link and your edonkey client will open with the chosen file cued.

http://www.sharereactor.com

http://www.edonkey2000.com/downloads.html

Morpheus/KaZaA 563,537
iMesh 163,049
Gnutella 59,067
eDonkey 53,899
DirectConnect 45,029
SongSpy 7,366
FileNavigator 6,750
Blubster 2,394
Old 18-01-02, 07:46 AM   #13
assorted
WAH!

I'm happy to see DirectConnect mentioned here. If you're broadband and got lots to share it is no doubt the way to go for movies, appz and games.

I generally hate ratio crap, and DirectConnect, with most servers requesting minimum gigs shared and Broadband, is essentially "ratio crap"... However, I have to admit that if there is a program I need immediately and I don't want to bother searching, then DirectConnect is the way to go.

For mp3s... (if Morpheus is off the table).... AudioGalaxy, AudioGalaxy, AudioGalaxy. If you interested in music past the new Backstreet Boys album it is simply a must-have. The spyware can be gotten around; just browse the AudioGalaxy forum on Zeropaid to see different ways.

There are problems with it, sure (slow, buggy, goes down every hour, hehe)... but nothing beats the selection.
Old 18-01-02, 08:15 AM   #14
goldie
yea, it's me.

Quote:
Originally posted by assorted
I'm happy to see DirectConnect mentioned here. If you're broadband and got lots to share it is no doubt the way to go for movies, appz and games.

I generally hate ratio crap, and DirectConnect, with most servers requesting minimum gigs shared and Broadband, is essentially "ratio crap"... However, I have to admit that if there is a program I need immediately and I don't want to bother searching, then DirectConnect is the way to go.

For mp3s... (if Morpheus is off the table).... AudioGalaxy, AudioGalaxy, AudioGalaxy. If you interested in music past the new Backstreet Boys album it is simply a must-have. The spyware can be gotten around; just browse the AudioGalaxy forum on Zeropaid to see different ways.

There are problems with it, sure (slow, buggy, goes down every hour, hehe)... but nothing beats the selection.

I've used Audiogalaxy and loved it then wound up having to uninstall it after it slowed everything down on my pc. It has been a lifesaver for finding some really rare hard-to-find songs.

When installing the program I remember reading something about spyware being gradually added to my system until whatever was to be installed was fully installed. First few times I had no problems but eventually I couldn't even surf while dling files.

Thanks for the heads-up concerning removing the spyware.

GR
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-02, 10:56 AM   #15
assorted
WAH!

http://home.hetnet.nl/~cpjraats/agsatellite.html

that's the link i used for the "spyware free" audiogalaxy. sorry for not linking it previously but i'm laaaazzzy.... hehe.
Old 20-01-02, 02:28 PM   #16
multi
Thanks for being with arse

Goofy

E-donkey
is riddled with spyware
but is gunna see if it works w/outIT
crappy corprate trojans

i beat the internet
- the end boss is hard
multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-02, 09:06 PM   #17
napho
Dawn's private genie

Default Re: Lesser known filesharing programs are worth a look

Quote:
Originally posted by napho
Don't uninstall Morpheus or WinMX just yet but...

FileNavigator seems to be coming on strong
Blubster is small but fast
32,000 on Direct Connect share as much as 600,000 on Morpheus
The new version of Audiognome is good-12 million files +
EDonkey- Great for movies and apps
Even Imesh is still around-75,000 on line-the old version 118 is by far superior to the bloated recent versions

http://slyck.com/news/120901a.html

http://www.blubster.com/

http://www.neo-modus.com/

http://www.edonkey2000.com/

http://www.audiognome.com/download.htm

Five months later iMesh has gone from 75,000 users to about 600,000. Blubster has gone from 2000 to about 6000, Direct Connect has 100,000 users now, eDonkey has gone from 20,000 to about 175,000, FileNavigator has gone to over 20,000 from 6000. And yes, now it's time to uninstall Morpheus.